Dog being put down tomorrow

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,751
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Like the title says. I don't know what to do to feel better. He's not even that old, almost 8, and we found out on Tuesday that he has cancer. It's all so sudden. I love him so much, I'm sure you all know, you just get so attached. But he's in so much pain, and I have to let him go. I'm just going to miss him so, so, so much.

I can't believe I'm not going to come home and see him anymore. He's more like a best friend than a "pet". Does anyone have any advice at all on how to cope with losing someone so special? :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    My thoughts are with you....... There is no easy way to get over the loss of a pet, especially when they are such a special, loved, part of our family for such a long time. Your sadness and worry of missing him in the future is only natural. I guess the only thing you can perhaps tell yourself is that you are doing the most kindest most unselfish thing any owner can for their pet right now, stopping his pain and suffering.
    Give him a big hug from not only you but me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry for you loss.

When my cat got put to sleep, I got a box and put his things into it and a picture of him into it as well. I also got a plant which I put in the front garden where he liked to look out of. It helped a little bit but I still miss my Boy, I loved him so much.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So young:(

You are doing the right thing. Dogs live 'in the moment'. When those moments are no longer filled with joy, but with pain, then is the time to let them go with dignity. It is the last act of love and selflessness you can show a much loved pet.

"Better a week too soon than a day too late"

Have a last cuddle. Have you been through a PTS before? Do you want to be in the room? I always feel it is the least I can do - though I've only had cats PTS and with them you can stroke them as they are PTS. But if you can't, don't feel bad. The vet will be kind.

What do you want to do with the remains? Might seem minor, but not a decision you want to second guess later when you are grieving. Most vets will put you in touch with a cremation/burial service if you want, or they can take care of the body. I have brought my babies home for a garden burial because that helps me.

Be kind to yourself, let yourself grieve. Do you have family and/or friends to talk to? If not, talk to us on DS. Many of us have been through it before.

(((hugs)))
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh Something Vague - I'm so sorry to hear this.

Losing a pet is never easy - if it was then we wouldn't be animal/pet lovers in the first place and so wouldn't get the joy from them that we do. Eventually being parted from them is the downside of that joy and is, very sadly, part of pet ownership/love :( .

Take it easy on yourself and allow yourself time to grieve, and do come and chat some more here if you want to, as lots of us have been through this and we may be able to help :) .

Best wishes x
  • newto thisnewto this Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I'm very sorry to read your post. My thoughts are with you.

It's the most painful part of being a pet owner having to make this decision but it is the right decision when your animal is suffering.

You're losing a member of your family and you'll miss them terribly but you will have your memories, they never die.

If you're like me you'll shed many, many tears and after a while will smile when you remember the happy times you shared. We all grieve and deal with things in our own way and what's right for one may be wrong for another.

With my first dog I arranged for the vet to come to my home where he was happy, rather than take him to the surgery.
    My dog "went to sleep" in his bed with the whole family stroking him. It was a very peaceful end for him but obviously extremely upsetting for us, even though we knew it had to be done.
    The vet was very kind and gentle with my dog who wasn't at all stressed by what was happening.
    We buried him in our garden with a little statue of a dog to mark the spot.

I'd really hoped to do the same for my next dog if need be but her end was unexpected even though she was fifteen and she was pts at the surgery. I really miss her alot, we all do. She was just perfect in every way.
    The vet arranged an individual cremation for her and I was sent her ashes which I have yet to scatter and plant in my garden.

May your lovely, faithful friend run, free from pain at Rainbow Bridge.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear, its sad when he's so young

I have 2 dogs and one is 17, he's had a very good life but his back end is losing weight alot and failing him, he nearly blind and quite deaf, he's losing control, sometimes falling over and cannot get back up, he does not seem in pain and I know in the next couple of months we have to make the decision.

It's not nice to say but I am hoping that we wake up one morning and he's died in his sleep peacefull beacuse I dread the day when I have to take him and I feel for what you have to do tomorrow.

The one thing I am happy with a year ago we got the second dog(kobe), I always wanted a second dog for Nanook to play with, I know he was quite old at that stage but atleast he had some doggy company in his last years.

My thoughts are with you tomorrow .

g
  • gentle bungentle bun Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    You are losing your best friend. So you need to give yourself time and space to grieve. But remember that you have surrounded a little life with love and this is the last act of love - he will be loved as he leaves this life. You should be proud of yourself for giving him that. My thoughts are with you and him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have my heartfelt sympathy. As everyone else has said, this is the kindest thing you can do. It's so hard at first & you need to have the time to grieve but gradually you do find that only the happy memories remain & you can console yourself with the fact that you gave him the best & happiest life you could.
  • jamiesdjamiesd Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Massive massive hugs

xxxx
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wilhemina wrote: »
    You have my heartfelt sympathy. As everyone else has said, this is the kindest thing you can do. It's so hard at first & you need to have the time to grieve but gradually you do find that only the happy memories remain & you can console yourself with the fact that you gave him the best & happiest life you could.

I wholeheartedly agree with these sentiments. I had to have my beautiful dog put to sleep last saturday for similar reasons to yours and i was absolutely distraught for the first few days. The house felt so empty and i continuously questioned myself if i had done the right thing.

But gradually, the pain is easing and the happier memories are coming to the fore. I now know in my heart it was the right thing to do. The vet was so kind and caring. Today is the first day i have been able to talk about her.

I have planted a tree in the garden for her with a nice memorial plaque. Even though she has gone she will always be with me.

My thought are with you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a week ago today (2.35pm to be exact) that my dog was put to sleep - so I'm still very raw, everyone on here was so so kind, much more understanding than anyone I spoke to.

Please PM me if you need to pour your heart out - we can do it together.
  • JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    {{{{{{{{{HUGS FOR SOMETHING VAGUE}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry. That's awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    I am so. so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you. xx
  • mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, I'm so sorry for you.
    The loss can feel as traumatic as it is to lose a human family member, we make these animals part of our families and love them dearly.
    Nothing we all say can ease the pain you feel but this is the last act of kindness you can give your boy and it's an act of great love.
    Our thoughts are with you x
  • maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP that is very sad.

Will be thinking of you and your lovely dog.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much for your words of comfort. I really appreciate having other like-minded people who understand just what this feels like.

My boy has gone now, but I've still got all the memories. I miss him more than anything, but at least he's not in pain anymore. I just want him to be happy, and now he's gone, he won't be suffering, so that's what I'm holding onto. I just hope it gets easier in time to accept that I'm never going to see him again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,929
    Forum Member
    Hope you're ok OP.

As owners of pets we have to do the right thing by them. It's not nice but it's a dignity we can give them by stopping them being in pain. We're the ones suffering, they aren't. It's the kindest thing we can do for them. I've had many dogs and cats and in the end you have to recognise you've done what's best. Hurts at the time I know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I am so, so sorry for your loss :( . Things will seem so strange without your little (or big?) pal about and it will take a while to adjust.

For what it is worth, you know you did the best you could for your little darling, hard as it may seem to see that at the moment.

I hope you are ok, give yourself lots of time .

Take care.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry. It really is the one last act of love that we can do for our pets, letting them fall asleep peacefully, wrapped in our love.

Be kind to yourself xx
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey

We lost our dog in December and he was only 11. My heart goes out to you, it's very hard and the following few days will be awful for you. But in time, you'll look back and remember the good times with him and know that he's not in pain anymore. Although, you'll miss him and think about him every day it does get easier. We had our dog cremated and bough his ashes back home so we know he's still with us.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss, I know what you're going through, my thoughts are with you and your family at this very sad time. :( x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    I framed a few of my favourite pictures of my cat who died last year so i can still see her around the house a bit painfull but as the pain fades the love is still there and that is a good thing to live with.
  • tendarahtendarah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I bury my pets in the garden and I choose a plant to plant on their grave that will feed off them and I think of them as it grows. it helps.

my thoughts are with you also, hope you are getting thru this difficult time :cry:
  • misshollandmissholland Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Hugs to you and your lovely dogxxx
    My thoughts are with you and my heart goes out to you:cry:
    I went through this years ago:cry:
    I hope you stay with him to the end...It will help him and comfort him...
    I wish you strength and again,my thoughts are with you...
  • misshollandmissholland Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Hi,I was just wondering how you were coping...
    My thoughts are with you...