Air con at home

simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with properly installed home air con? (already have a mobile unit that gets used occassionally)

I have a large bedroom and always get hot - even in the winter. Opening windows rarely does enough.

I'm in a hotel tonight that just has a unit on the external wall that does a great job.

Would be interested in costs/effectiveness. Would rather spend more money and get a silent/quieter unit.

Ideal spot would be above the bed - any pros/cons?

Thanks!

Comments

• michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am guessing you mean the type that has a separate indoor and outdoor unit.

The main issue is that the outdoor unit needs planning permission and this can be difficult to obtain in residential areas due to the levels of noise that they emit.

There are special low noise units desgned for residential use bt they are extremely expensive.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine had such a system installed in one of his rooms last year.

Cooling unit on outside wall, with the room unit (sorry, I don't know what else to call it) mounted on the corresponding wall inside. His unit is Panasonic, but I understand that Fujitsu, Toshiba, and other manufacturers can provide similar ones.

Works a treat. It's got a remote control to adjust just about everything you would want to adjust. It can even be set to detect where-abouts in the room you are and target the cool air to this part of the room.

Cost? Just under £2,000 but, in my opinion, worth every penny. That price includes delivery and complete installation, by the way. You can't compare the working efficiency of one of these types of units to one of the more common portable ones; they are so much better.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks. The one in this hotel room is just on the inside (although it's a monster!) I don't want anything that makes too much noise (in or out) as I don't want to annoy my neighbour.

£2k is a lot but if it does the job then guess it's worth it!
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a simple price calculator on this site - a single room ceiling mounted system came out at c. £3k for me.

http://www.airconco.com/air_conditoning_price_calculator
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »
    I am guessing you mean the type that has a separate indoor and outdoor unit.

The main issue is that the outdoor unit needs planning permission and this can be difficult to obtain in residential areas due to the levels of noise that they emit.

There are special low noise units desgned for residential use bt they are extremely expensive.

I thought that planning permission was no longer required as long as the unit is not too big? (like industrial sized units) Most residential units do not need planning permission AFAIK.

http://www.airintelligence.co.uk/air-conditioning-planning-permission-listed-building-consent/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that planning permission was no longer required as long as the unit is not too big? (like industrial sized units) Most residential units do not need planning permission AFAIK.

http://www.airintelligence.co.uk/air-conditioning-planning-permission-listed-building-consent/

From the linked document
    is the last point that can be a snag as many air source air conditioners cannot currently meet this and hence unless you have no neighbours, you are still be required to obtain planning permission.

OK, if you live in the middle of nowhere you don't need planning....:)

Though it is good if the low noise kit does not need it.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    There's a simple price calculator on this site - a single room ceiling mounted system came out at c. £3k for me.

http://www.airconco.com/air_conditoning_price_calculator

That looks like more of a commercial setup. Would hope a home one would be a bit cheaper :)

Planning permission does seem to be a problem ... unless I can get a near-silent one. Will do some more research.

Thanks folks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am afraid that built in AC is very expensive, and you would also need to budget for ongoing servicing and maintenance (which is not cheap either).
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    simonp820 wrote: »
    That looks like more of a commercial setup. Would hope a home one would be a bit cheaper :)

Planning permission does seem to be a problem ... unless I can get a near-silent one. Will do some more research.

Thanks folks.

My friend hasn't got planning permission for his one. Also, since the original installation, he's had a studio built in his large garden, and this has two similar one's to the one mounted on his house. These don't have planning permission, either.

Since the studio he was having built did need planning permission, and he's had the people from the local council's planning office down to see him several times during it's construction, including the final signing-off for the project when it was all completed.

So, if he had needed planning permission for the aircon units then I rather think they would have said something, don't you?

I'm not aware they make any noise, by the way, or, if they do then it's at such a low level then nobody would ever notice.
  • jodrelljodrell Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Is the building well insulated?
    If it is that could be most of your problem. No air movement and makes it stuffy.
    You will have to spend 2K to eradicate the problem the insulation which might save you £40 a year on heating costs causes! That's what you call progress I guess. :-)

Just a thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I live in Cyprus and have AC in every room, two units in the open plan lounge/kitchen/diner. Have never switched it on, can't afford to run it.:cry:
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »
    From the linked document
    is the last point that can be a snag as many air source air conditioners cannot currently meet this and hence unless you have no neighbours, you are still be required to obtain planning permission.

OK, if you live in the middle of nowhere you don't need planning....:)

Though it is good if the low noise kit does not need it.

I assumed most of the kits for residential use were below the permitted level. Maybe not though. :eek:

My AC certainly does not have planning permission. :o It's hardly audible from the outside. I know a few other people with AC in their homes, and they have no planning permission either. :o
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The systems really aren't as expensive as some here are making out as long as you're savvy.

There's a complete split air-con system here for £484 (brand new): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Air-Conditioning-Unit-Wall-Air-Con-Split-System-3-5KW-cool-Heat-snh-/111072528338?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item19dc7047d2

The problems lie in the planning permission, installation and ongoing maintenance.