Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    The Twitter, Dave Love and other impressions on the Sports Bar are entertaining, especially Mike Graham's and Morgan Readman's yesterday.
    tinman wrote: »
    What in tarnation?

Hit the skins Bubba.
    Justin Moorhouse was good value on Drive earlier.

What time was he on? I shall give his chat with Adrian and Matt a listen on Listen Again if I can. I saw him do stand-up a few years ago and I thought he was excellent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to hear Lawrie McMenemy on Hawksbee & Jacobs just now (1.30-1.45pm Thursday if you want to Listen Again). He is one of my all-time favourite talkSPORT presenters.

He was only in with them for a short chat as he's going to record a My Sporting Life with Danny Kelly (something I said I'd love to hear when Lawrie's name came up on here a few weeks ago, so maybe someone somewhere is paying attention to our positive suggestions), but it was nice to hear him talk about Southampton both now and the 1976 team with great affection. One of football's good guys and his MSL will be appointment to listen radio.
  • ramageramage Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brazil this morning, "Keep those calls coming about last nights matches, you know the number"
    In all the time I was listening he never took one call.
    Brian I know you are busy today, but when you get a chance please answer this question for me.
    Why have they stopped taking calls between 9 & 10.?
    Is it company policy? or is it that they are getting no callers?
    It has been going on like this for quite a while & it gives the impression that the breakfast show has hardly any listeners.
    It used to be a busy hour filled up with calls so I would appreciate your honesty about this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I really hate it, I turned on today and they were talking about sailing, then cycling then some next rubbish. His banter is so lame, really is, makes me miss Keys & Gray.

The whole ratings success with TS has been Football, stick to that. I want football chat all day ! Murray is doing the old BBC trick ie: don't give them what they want, give them what they SHOULD want.

That's just my opinion,I'm not knocking anyone who likes it , but it's not for me. I still like Brazil, Drive & Saggers.

I heard a bit of this show today, first time Ive heard this show.
    The Colin guy just drivelled on and on, so boring and an annoying voice.
    Not sure who the girl was, but she just spent her time giggling, not sure what about and she talked some real nonsense.
    Could not see what the point of this show was. No way could I listen to hours of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Have you listened to Colin Murray's show?

I was like you in that I have hardly listened in the last year & a 1/4.

I must admit that still conducted what I called 'dip-ins' just to find out if there was anything that I caught my ear, but never any sustained listening like I used to previously.

Colin Murray's show is the only I now listen to full-time as it's good radio.

Yeah, i listened to his show for the 1st few week, its not really my cup of tea. Im not being an old misery guts, im just bored with the whole station and now im switching between radio 4, leeds, 5live.
  • mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    darreldo wrote: »
    I have given up on TALKsport and havent listened to one little bit in the past 3-4 weeks.
    Theres just nothing that I like anymore, Im tired of it and it would need a massive overhaul if I were to comeback.
    I know people all have their favourites and I respect their views, Its just not for me anymore.
    I still pop on here and have a look to see whats going on, im just glad im saving my ears!!

Same boat here. Now I only listen to 'Keys & Gray' and 'The Press Pass', plus Tim Vickery's slots on listen again.

I've given Colin Murray's show a few listens. It's really dull. Boring in guest 'banter', too much time spent with the Bet Butler and phone in subjects from the H&J archives. He's right to ask callers to say its an average show.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hit the skins Bubba.

What time was he on? I shall give his chat with Adrian and Matt a listen on Listen Again if I can. I saw him do stand-up a few years ago and I thought he was excellent.

He was on between 6-6.30pm.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate it, I turned on today and they were talking about sailing, then cycling then some next rubbish. His banter is so lame, really is, makes me miss Keys & Gray.

The whole ratings success with TS has been Football, stick to that. I want football chat all day ! Murray is doing the old BBC trick ie: don't give them what they want, give them what they SHOULD want.

That's just my opinion,I'm not knocking anyone who likes it , but it's not for me. I still like Brazil, Drive & Saggers.

But the station's called Talksport Jamie, not Talk Football:confused:
    I seem to like all the shows and presenters you don't like and don't like the shows and presenters and you do like. We are Jack Spratt and his wife:D
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    I seem to like all the shows and presenters you don't like and don't like the shows and presenters and you do like. We are Jack Spratt and his wife:D

I'm with you. ;) I like that for a couple of hours you'll get other sports mixed in with the football. It's not as if they never mention it. In fact one of the best things to happen on Colin's show so far was when he was shouting about Graeme Obree and his attempt at the world land speed record. It was brilliant radio. But I guess, the station is going to go with whoever's opinion is the most prevalent. ;)
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    Is it good to have other sports discussed if they are done with knowledge and research.
  • stinker watsonstinker watson Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    delboy1953 wrote: »
    Brian Moore's response is about addiction and nothing to do with Matt Forde.
    You have just been hounded out of talkforum for pulling the same stunt

hello del! well said btw, thats about as random a comment as asking what do people think of supertramp.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Was he on between ads,plugs and saying you were listening to talkshit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Joe. I shall give it a go.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Murray tweeted about today's results but became sarky when I said that he talked too much. I told him to remember that he has co-hosts and guests..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it most interesting what Neil Warnock had to say this morning regarding the Jose Mourinho/Andre Villas-Boas situation: formerly a master/apprentice situation which by all accounts is now bereft of any friendship and good feeling. Neil said he thought Jose probably was unhappy about his "apprentice" going on to do good for himself, something Jose did not like one bit, that he probably hoped AVB would fail and was no doubt envious of his progression. Neil went on to say that he had experienced exactly these feelings himself: obviously he did not name names.

I think this is very honest and very decent of Warnock who has risen in my estimation. How many people would admit such feelings, even to themselves let alone publicly? Most people would delude themselves that "they do not have a jealous bone in their body". Well done Neil for speaking up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it most interesting what Neil Warnock had to say this morning regarding the Jose Mourinho/Andre Villas-Boas situation: formerly a master/apprentice situation which by all accounts is now bereft of any friendship and good feeling. Neil said he thought Jose probably was unhappy about his "apprentice" going on to do good for himself, something Jose did not like one bit, that he probably hoped AVB would fail and was no doubt envious of his progression. Neil went on to say that he had experienced exactly these feelings himself: obviously he did not name names.

I think this is very honest and very decent of Warnock who has risen in my estimation. How many people would admit such feelings, even to themselves let alone publicly? Most people would delude themselves that "they do not have a jealous bone in their body". Well done Neil for speaking up.

So he does he explain Brendan Rodgers and Steve Clarke, both with whom Jose has a good relationship, loaning them players and phoning them to wish them well? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    So he does he explain Brendan Rodgers and Steve Clarke, both with whom Jose has a good relationship, loaning them players and phoning them to wish them well? :confused:

No, he didn't say anything about that. He only referenced Jose and AVB. Maybe it is a Portuguese thing? I do see why you are confused, I posted what I did more for what it said about Warnock, not Jose.:cool:
  • jamie smith909jamie smith909 Posts: 193
    Forum Member

ha ha ! I don't think I could ever get along with Murray as a listen, his Bon Ami and self depreciation just doesn't work for me.

If Talksport is a sports station then it obviously fails miserably, but for football nuts it's great !
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    Did people know Talk sport had coverage of the Madrid derby?

Tomorrow at 9...
  • clayton_stclayton_st Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Warnock got memory problems??
    A few days ago he said "Oh yeah,Sunderland will already have someone lined up for DiCanio's job"
    Today he said "I don't blame Sunderland for taking their time before making a decision over the managers job"
    Brazil of course has a brilliant long ago memory, he remembers the sixties as if it were yesterday and talks about in continually.
    "Och aye, there wur hunnerd n forty thousan' watching Celtic in the Euro ah cannae forget it" he grunted again today, but he can't remember last week's results cos "Ah didnae see it, ah wus on a corporate golf day"
  • ramageramage Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "For the last hour today lets have your calls on Spurs v Chelsea, come on you know the number".
    No calls.
    Sorry if i'm driving you mad on this but I really would like to know what is going on here.
    Surely they must have some listeners that want to pick up the phone.
    If not then the Rayjars are well out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he didn't say anything about that. He only referenced Jose and AVB. Maybe it is a Portuguese thing? I do see why you are confused, I posted what I did more for what it said about Warnock, not Jose.:cool:

Oh, I wasn't shooting the messenger hun, sorry. It's just I hate pundits with half baked theories. Yes, Jose maybe has a problem with AVB but it's hardly envy at his progression when he actively supports the other two. :rolleyes:

Maybe AVB left in bad circumstances, or Jose feels he wasn't loyal, OrJose didn't like him taking the Chelsea job, or maybe they just can't stand each other, I don't know, but then neither does Neil Pigging Warnock. :rolleyes::mad:

I think he's a massive hypocrite, he never had a good word to say about the media (well he never had a good word about anyone) and he then goes and works in the media when he can't get a managerial position. You can't gave it both ways imo. Sorry :o rant over. :o:D
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Colin's always been honest, or at least willing to say unpopular things. He'd be much better on MotD than the current gang of idiots as a former manager who can actually talk about the game and explain things.
    ramage wrote: »
    "For the last hour today lets have your calls on Spurs v Chelsea, come on you know the number".
    No calls.
    Sorry if i'm driving you mad on this but I really would like to know what is going on here.
    Surely they must have some listeners that want to pick up the phone.
    If not then the Rayjars are well out

The vast majority of listeners will never, ever call in. No callers in not an indication of no listeners.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vast majority of listeners will never, ever call in. No callers in not an indication of no listeners.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. my life would have to depend on it for me to ring in.

A: I know how much money can be made on calls and texts.

B: They are rarely interested in a proper debate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    Colin's always been honest, or at least willing to say unpopular things. He'd be much better on MotD than the current gang of idiots as a former manager who can actually talk about the game and explain things.

The vast majority of listeners will never, ever call in. No callers in not an indication of no listeners.

I think you mean Neil ;)
This discussion has been closed.