St.Patrick's ''GAY'' Parade.. Not a chance!

Comments

• jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    There have been Thanksgiving threads. And yep, they too always attract the same sort of holier-than-thou posters with no sense of self-awarness, who completely miss the point of the day.

AFAIK the point of the St Patrick's day parade is for Irish people to celebrate St Patrick's day - and a lot of groups go along with banners saying 'Irish Police Society" or "Irish Line Dancers" but apparently you can't parade with a sign saying 'LGBT Irish'. One has to ask why - and the reply from the organisers has been that they think the latter would take away from the 'Irish Tradition'. Oddly however the organisers of ST P's marches in all sorts of other places don't agree - Irish LGBT groups march in those. It is discrimination of course - not allowing one group to march as a group when you allow others to do so (like those line dancers).

So no, I haven't missed the point of the day -- but I think the organisers have tbh.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    AFAIK the point of the St Patrick's day parade is for Irish people to celebrate St Patrick's day - and a lot of groups go along with banners saying 'Irish Police Society" or "Irish Line Dancers" but apparently you can't parade with a sign saying 'LGBT Irish'. One has to ask why - and the reply from the organisers has been that they think the latter would take away from the 'Irish Tradition'. Oddly however the organisers of ST P's marches in all sorts of other places don't agree - Irish LGBT groups march in those. It is discrimination of course - not allowing one group to march as a group when you allow others to do so (like those line dancers).

So no, I haven't missed the point of the day -- but I think the organisers have tbh.

You've grabbed the wrong end of the stick, I'm afraid.

The thread had gone on a tangent, and my post you quoted was related to that.

However, I did make a very similar post to yours earlier: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71226051&postcount=182
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are these so called "rights" that gay people are calling for. They are already equal in the eyes of the law. They can now marry in most churches, have equal rights of inheritance etc.

When are they ever going to be satisfied?
  • IofielIofiel Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are these so called "rights" that gay people are calling for. They are already equal in the eyes of the law. They can now marry in most churches, have equal rights of inheritance etc.

Please search Russia: Gays on youtube and you will see that that is far from the truth ... or search the internet ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iofiel wrote: »
    Please search Russia: Gays on youtube and you will see that that is far from the truth ... or search the internet ...

They are equal in the countries they are protesting in though. Women are persecuted in Muslim countries, but we don't have women here or America fighting for womens rights.

Maybe the gays who want to march should go and march in Russia instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy_Girl wrote: »
    Is this a parody too?

They can't marry in churches.

They can in many churches.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I think (I hope) Pickwick was being tongue-in-cheek and taking the piss out of the OP.

Unfortunately it blended in a bit too well with the FMs who were genuinely condescending and sneery.

Yeah that's what caught me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are equal in the countries they are protesting in though. Women are persecuted in Muslim countries, but we don't have women here or America fighting for womens rights.

No they are not ... all forms of prejudice are still prevalent all around the world ... and yes women's rights are fought for in the UK (in the form of the government) ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member

None in the uk, or Ireland. I'd say very, very, few churches worldwide in fact. How are you defining 'many'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What rubbish ... where are you getting your figures from?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women are persecuted in Muslim countries, but we don't have women here or America fighting for womens rights.

...we don't?

Shit, I better call the doctor. My hallucinations are getting worse.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll be satisfied when people can go about their daily lives without being discriminated because of who they are. I'll be happy when LGBT identifying teenagers are not 40% more likely to commit suicide when compared to their heterosexual peers, I'll be happy when LGBT identifying people are not more likely to suffer from mental health problems then their heterosexual peers, and I'll be happy when people like you stop spouting shit like this..

Funnily enough, those things are pretty linked.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

When people like you stop spouting sh*te like this, I imagine.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    So why then do some gay people choose to segregate themselves by having their own pubs, clubs, festivals and celebrations thus separating themselves from the rest of society? If gay people want acceptance and intergration then they've got a sure funny way of going about it.

Personally I think if gay people just got on with life instead of this constant need to ram their sexuality in everyone's face then you wouldn't have as much problem with acceptance and homophobia. The minute you single yourself out as being different is the minute people start treating you as different.

I don't get what there is to celebrate about who you choose to have sex with. Straight people don't feel the need to shout about it do they?. Personally it just seems like a way to say, 'Pay attention to me, I'm different!' but actually the minute anyone treats them as different they don't like it.

First BIB - I'm not aware of this happening. Are you watching the Graham Norton show too much?

Second BIB - you've never heard blokes in pubs then?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The right not to be victims of hate crimes because of their sexuality maybe? (1 in 6 gay people have according to a YouGov poll).

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/13/one-in-six-gay-people-hate-crimes
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You think gay people are equal in America? That's the country where gay marriage is banned in over 30 states' constitutions. As for 'go march in Russia'... i take it you are unaware that gay marches have been banned in Moscow 'for 100 years'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19293465
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member

It depends where in America you are as gay people are far from equal in some parts of America. So in this case they are not equal in the country they are protesting in and in this case they want to match in a celebratory parade, not a protest.

Maybe you should educate yourself for a start and stop addressing gay people like they are a different species.
    Forum Member

Most Churches? Just where do you get your ignorance from?

When people like you stop THEM as some sort of alien lifeform.
    Forum Member
    First BIB - I'm not aware of this happening. Are you watching the Graham Norton show too much?

Second BIB - you've never heard blokes in pubs then?

Yes just where do they get this nonsense from?

Heterosexuality is bloody EVERYWHERE! Out in the street, in the pub, in the supermarket and on every TV show on TV.

Yet that isn't ramming their sexuality down our throats, it's only that when gay people mention their sexuality.

How disgusting that some think that gay people should shut up and pretend to be straight or else it's ramming it down others throats.

Hypocrisy!

And we have people on here posting that gay people are now equal when this sort of crap is posted where gay people told to shut up about it whilst straight people can and do flaunt it everywhere.
    Forum Member
    Look at all those adverts on TV, in print, on display in the shops: All are of a man and a woman and added kids for effect.

Ads on TV have SEX posted all over them yet it's only ever red blooded heterosexual sex.

Just why is it that straight people have to shove their sexuality in our faces? Just get on with it! We don't need to know who you fancy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Look at all those adverts on TV, in print, on display in the shops: All are of a man and a woman and added kids for effect.

Ads on TV have SEX posted all over them yet it's only ever red blooded heterosexual sex.

Just why is it that straight people have to shove their sexuality in our faces? Just get on with it! We don't need to know who you fancy.

It'd be really fabulous if those straight couples would stop pumping out gay babies too. It's becoming too much of an inconvenience for some people (morons) in society, apparently. Judging by some of the posts on this thread at least!
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,565
    Forum Member

Maybe you should stop dictating to people what they should do, as it's none of your business! And by the way, gay people from this country have joined Gay Pride marches in Russia, at great personal risk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop dictating to people what they should do, as it's none of your business! And by the way, gay people from this country have joined Gay Pride marches in Russia, at great personal risk.

After the recent stuff out there, I had planned a trip out to try and help but was advised not to. I'm really tempted to ignore the advice, but was told if I do so that I'm on my own.

Well intentioned or not, unfortunately, most people have no idea what it is like to grow up and live identifying as a minority sexuality type. We grow up in a world where there is a huge message consistently that we are different, or abnormal, and when there is acceptance there isn't always understanding.

Some of the stuff said on this thread for example is frankly ridiculous, especially that line about we'd have more equality if we kept quiet and got on with it. To be honest, that's bullshit. We only have the equality we do because people fight for it.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry but if it wasn't for red blooded heterosexual relationships there wouldn't BE any gay people or any people at all for that matter ;)

Serioulsy though, I'm all up for having gay relationships portrayed on adverts. I think they should so it's not always your average hetero family with 2 kids and a dog etc. I totally agree but blame the advertisers for that not the heterosexuals.

Actually come to think of it didn't the last advert for Lynx deodorant feature a man who sprayed on Lynx and got pounced on by both women as well as men?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Sorry but if it wasn't for red blooded heterosexual relationships there wouldn't BE any gay people or any people at all for that matter.

He was just pointing out the double standard in that people only come out with that bullshit when it comes to LGBT people. No surprise that you missed the point.