Options

Sales assistants, your experiences.

Comments

• Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree about this. In the situation described by SophStar I have no doubt that the sale assistant was in the wrong, and either SophStar or her mum would have been perfectly entitled to make a complaint. And TYCO, I agree that if you unhang, scan, remove security tag, pack and pass over an item and then have to undo it all again it can be incredibly frustrating; thing is though, it's technically no different than if the customer had brought the item home and then brought it back; it's just that in this situation events happened quickly, rather than being spread out over a longer period.

As I said in of my previous posts, sometimes you get ignorant customers, sometimes you get sales assistants who don't want to be there and don't care who knows. and as TYCO says, sometimes things just annoy you. Unfortunately that's life.

I personally don't believe in being rude just for the sake of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's nothing ruder than a shop assistant who doesnt say please or thank you!or as i once had the change put on the counter in front of me as i held out my hand to receive it! RUDE!
    i often find the boots sales assistants look down there noses or maybe thats just me!:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember when i was looking for a prom dress me and my friend went into a wedding shop (it said in the window they sold prom dresses) and the shop assistant was extremely rude, she gave us a proper dirty look and followed us around the whole shop making us feel uncomfortable as if we weren't good enough to buy their dresses but when i went back to the shop with my mum the same shop assistant seemed to have a complete personality makeover and couldn't be more helpful.

Yeah what is that all about? There's one designer boutique in town and when I went in with my mother they were helpful but not intrusive. I go in with my cousin and, despite the fact we were actually wearing the same brands they stock, the assistant followed us around the entire time. She was somewhat polite and friendly but the spying was completely uncalled for.

There's a shoe store in London that I often buy from and most of the time I've had good service but there's one particular assistant who has a pretty bad attitude. You ask for a shoe in a certain colour and if they don't have in your size she won't let you try it in one bigger/smaller (the styles and sizes differ and you can go from a 39 to 41). The last time I went she brought out two pairs which weren't right and then just gave up - I was sitting there waiting but rather than bringing more pairs or saying there were no more in that colour she just stood behind the till and stared at me.

There was also a terrible woman in one of the Bullring stores - I tried on some tops and accidentally left the tag in the fitting room. She abruptly asked where it was and I apologised saying I'd left it in the room. She glared it me so to be polite I told I'd go back and get it, which I then did. You'd think that after me doing that (okay so I forgot it but she's the one being paid to do that kind of thing, I'm under no obligation to get it) she'd be polite and thank me but instead she snatched it from my hand said nothing and gave me the most vile look ever. Major attitude problem.

I have to say though, the most expensive and exclusive shops I've been in have provided excellent, polite service and the assistants were polite and attentive without watching your every move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to feel like that, but then remembered that they couldn't afford the stuff without their heavy discount, I swear if you give them a dirty look back they assume you can more than afford everything and become very helpful.

Exactly. They're not exactly in a high-powered, high earning caree - they're just shop assistants.

Nothing wrong with shop assistants of course but it is odd how some think working in a store with expensive stock makes them superior to the paying customer.
    TYCO wrote: »
    Well that was a total pointless waste of the sales assistants time who was probably under pressure to get a million and one jobs done.

Your mum, out of politeness could have taken the item home and returned it within the shops 28 days goodwill period. Of course, why should she? She's a customer she can do what she likes, and she did - which annoyed the sales assistant and provoked her into being rude. Nothing strange here, just PEOPLE acting perfectly normal.

I have worked as a sales assistant and a receptionist, experiencing more than my fair share of rude and idiotic clients/customers yet it doesn't stop me from thinking that that attitude is out of order.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went into Selfridges and the girl at the DKNY counter was very helpful, my mum and her actually got chatting for a while and she was really nice and helpful.

The girl in my local republic store is really really friendly!
  • Options
    lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shop A LOT!! and I find that topshop has great customer service, everytime I go in, you can get a bit of banter with the sales assistants and are really helpful!!!

For example, I'm useless at accessorizing (sp?) and asked someone what kind of necklace would go with a dress I bought somewhere else, she was so helpful, spending a good 5-10 minutes showing me different necklaces, rings, bracelets and which ones would go best with the dress, etc.

I've worked in retail before and no matter how crappy day I'm having, I always tried to remember, people talk! if someone has bad customer service, they will tell friends and so on,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil_boo wrote: »
    I shop A LOT!! and I find that topshop has great customer service, everytime I go in, you can get a bit of banter with the sales assistants and are really helpful!!!

For example, I'm useless at accessorizing (sp?) and asked someone what kind of necklace would go with a dress I bought somewhere else, she was so helpful, spending a good 5-10 minutes showing me different necklaces, rings, bracelets and which ones would go best with the dress, etc.

I've worked in retail before and no matter how crappy day I'm having, I always tried to remember, people talk! if someone has bad customer service, they will tell friends and so on,

I really like that about some sales assistants, those who help me, I really do appreciate it when they help like that.
  • Options
    KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely the sort of attitude a retail employer looks for; and tries to keep when they find it.:)
  • Options
    lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KnowAll27 wrote: »
    Absolutely the sort of attitude a retail employer looks for; and tries to keep when they find it.:)

exactly, I worked for The Disney Store and the one thing they instilled in all staff was top customer service and it's stuck with me not only in retail jobs but the career I'm in now, of course, everyone has a bad day, but shouldn't be taken out on customers, after all, they won't spend money in a shop where the staff are rude!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly, I worked for The Disney Store and the one thing they instilled in all staff was top customer service and it's stuck with me not only in retail jobs but the career I'm in now, of course, everyone has a bad day, but shouldn't be taken out on customers, after all, they won't spend money in a shop where the staff are rude!

I think it shows that they drill that into staff cause whenever ive been to disney store the staff have always been awesome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when you go to an expensive shop and the staff look down at you as if you're not good enough to be shopping in their shop, really horrible feeling it is, I know how you feel.

I love it when they look at you like that, and almost feel like reminding them that I am the one shopping and they are the ones working as a shop assistant ;)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in Debenhams today. The OH was faffing about in the make-up department. As is usual I was stood about like a spare part waiting.:rolleyes::)

Anyway I noticed this assistant giving me the evil eye. Everywhere I walked she seemed to be close by. I walked up to her and asked her why she was following me - if I need any help I'd be sure to ask her and nobody else.

According to her I looked suspicious and they are told to keep an eye on suspicious activity within the store.:eek: Bloomin' cheek.

I didn't mention it to the OH. She would have gone potty. She had just spent a small fortune on make-up too. I am going to stay outside next time.

I actually thought of this thread on the way home!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    Well that was a total pointless waste of the sales assistants time who was probably under pressure to get a million and one jobs done.

Your mum, out of politeness could have taken the item home and returned it within the shops 28 days goodwill period. Of course, why should she? She's a customer she can do what she likes, and she did - which annoyed the sales assistant and provoked her into being rude. Nothing strange here, just PEOPLE acting perfectly normal.

..errr..... what?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenilou88 wrote: »
    You ask for a shoe in a certain colour and if they don't have in your size she won't let you try it in one bigger/smaller (the styles and sizes differ and you can go from a 39 to 41).

The last time I went she brought out two pairs which weren't right and then just gave up - I was sitting there waiting but rather than bringing more pairs or saying there were no more in that colour she just stood behind the till and stared at me.

When you say "she won't let you try a bigger / smaller size".... do you mean that you say "would it be possible to try the next size?" and she point blankly refuses to fetch them out?!

So you just sit there... without first asking if there's anything else in a similar colour... expecting her to psychically know that's what you wanted?

Did they not have their range of styles / colours out on clear display for you to see if there was anything else you particularly like?

Or should the assistant have just made random stabs in the dark bringing out shoes that were slightly like the colour you originally asked for?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i work part time as a sales assistent whilst doing voluntary work and often no matter how nice you are to customers theres always the ones who are just looking for someone to scowl at. i find at least a dozen a day :)

particularly when i ask them if they require a bag for their pair of earrings or nail varnish bottle, when they already have about a million.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the girls in my local krisp store are always lovely and helpful, they look a bit chavvy sometimes tbh but they are really helpful all the time and friendly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say "she won't let you try a bigger / smaller size".... do you mean that you say "would it be possible to try the next size?" and she point blankly refuses to fetch them out?!

So you just sit there... without first asking if there's anything else in a similar colour... expecting her to psychically know that's what you wanted?

Did they not have their range of styles / colours out on clear display for you to see if there was anything else you particularly like?

Or should the assistant have just made random stabs in the dark bringing out shoes that were slightly like the colour you originally asked for?

Why the attitude? :confused:

They have some shoes on display but they're generally the bright colours/the most elaborate designs and I was just after plain navy. Most of the shoes on display are sold in the popular sizes and only available in sizes like 4.

I said I'd like to try anything in Navy so she brings out one shoe to try for size. The shoes come in different styles (some have no left or right, some are lower cut at the front) and some are tighter than others - I have some in 39,40 and 41. The one she got me to try was a 41 so she wouldn't let me try any other size than that. I saw a box which said navy leather, silver trim, size 40 (it was also a different shape to the one I tried on previously) which was ideal - I said I'd like to try it but she just went it "it won't fit". I then said I have some in a 40 and it was what I was after so I'd like to try and she still tells me it's too small.

In the end I gave up and eventually got that exact pair from one of their other branches (where she thanfully wasn't working) and it fit perfectly.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    That unhelpful assistant should be sacked, I thought their job was to gain sales, not put customers off!
  • Options
    kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenilou88 wrote: »
    Why the attitude? :confused:

They have some shoes on display but they're generally the bright colours/the most elaborate designs and I was just after plain navy. Most of the shoes on display are sold in the popular sizes and only available in sizes like 4.

I said I'd like to try anything in Navy so she brings out one shoe to try for size. The shoes come in different styles (some have no left or right, some are lower cut at the front) and some are tighter than others - I have some in 39,40 and 41. The one she got me to try was a 41 so she wouldn't let me try any other size than that. I saw a box which said navy leather, silver trim, size 40 (it was also a different shape to the one I tried on previously) which was ideal - I said I'd like to try it but she just went it "it won't fit". I then said I have some in a 40 and it was what I was after so I'd like to try and she still tells me it's too small.

In the end I gave up and eventually got that exact pair from one of their other branches (where she thanfully wasn't working) and it fit perfectly.

I'm confused at this :confused:

So you walked into a shop, and asked to try on everything she had in navy in 3 different sizes??

I would have been p!ssed off as well, fair enough, you are a paying customer but surely you could have narrowed down your choices a little.

BTW - I may have read it completely wrong but thats what I understood from your post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you walked into a shop, and asked to try on everything she had in navy in 3 different sizes??

I would have been p!ssed off as well, fair enough, you are a paying customer but surely you could have narrowed down your choices a little.

BTW - I may have read it completely wrong but thats what I understood from your post

The shop wasn't like Faith or other high street shoe store which must make a big difference, they have countless colours, designs, fabric and barely any shoes on show (and not so many in stock either) - you can't be specific or you'll end up with nothing. The first time I went there I was specific and mentioned ones I'd seen on the internet - this acheived nothing so there's no point. They ask your size and colour and take it from there (every other customer does the same). Before now I've asked for pink and there have only been 3 styles out of around 30 in my size.

I didn't ask to try each style in 3 sizes either - not sure where that came from :confused:

I saw a box with a pair in that I liked (they were on the shop floor, it wasn't like I'd asked her to go look for them) and she just kept saying they wouldn't fit me even when I said I'd like to try them to be sure.

EDIT: I should have probably mentioned they only sell ballet flats - it wasn't like there were kitten heels, boots, sandals, platforms etc to try
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    there's nothing ruder than a shop assistant who doesnt say please or thank you!or as i once had the change put on the counter in front of me as i held out my hand to receive it! RUDE!

i hate that!:mad:
    i am actually tempted to speak up and say something next time it happens.
    I now no longer go into a shop at lunchtime near my work because the woman serving doesnt say please or thank you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is also what I thought was happening....

Sorry for sounding attitudey (sp?) but I've worked in a shoe shop and have had customers who just come in, tell you their size and sit down...... withouth as much as having a look at the range we had.... or even giving a description of what they were looking for!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I was in Country Casuals in Bournemouth today and a young woman was sat by the jewellery and glared at me.

I told her I found it offputting and she then got defensive

Where do they find these third rate people to serve in a more upmarket boutique? They can't be that hard up for staff in this climate.

She had no eyebrows, obviously shaven - horrible look and not inkeeping with an older woman's store.

Does anyone else get annoyed at being glared at when they are browsing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Customer service no longer exists in this country. it's become a joke. Why should I care if the shop assistant is having a bad day? Erm, I don't. Nobody cares in my line of work if I'm having a bad day, you just have to get on with it and do your job to the best of your ability. It's called professionalism. It's not hard to put something through a till then put it in a bag. I'm sure you can do this and still be civil to the customer even if you have the weight of the world on your shoulders. i understand that after a while in retail or the service industry that customers would start to annoy you, but then if that's the case leave and get another job which isn't in customer service. I'm tired of being made to feel that my choosing to shop in that store is a massive inconvenience for the person behind the counter, who only has to pull a receipt out of a chip and pin machine and say 'Hello' to me. I don't ask for much.

There's absolutely so excuse for it.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on both sides of the counter. Worked for one clothes shop for 2 years, then Next for a few months and then another for 6 months. I've also been a supervisor.

Despite having a tendency to be quite grumpy sometimes, I always left that at the door when I went to work. Always smiled to the customers and attempted to make conversation. Yet some customers just go out of their way to be incredibly rude to you and look down on you. I had one woman come in with a top to return with no receipt, no tags or anything. It was old stock too. She wanted a refund. I told her she couldn't have one, only an exchange. She wouldnt have it. I tried to be considerate and ask her what date she bought the top so I could look up the transaction on the till, she couldn't tell me.

She demanded to see the manager and she told her exactly the same. She got quite aggressive and I thought I'd have to phone the police at one point as she wouldn't leave. Luckily she left in the end and we found out she'd been stealing from shops in the area and taking the items back for a cash "refund".

Now that I'm just a customer, I'm pleasant to all shop assistants until they're rude to me. I went to WH Smith the other day and there was a huge queue, 3 young people at the till. One was serving, the other two were sat at their positions chatting, playing with their wheely chairs and totally ignoring the huge line of people that were waiting. That sort of thing really infuriates me.