Kindle Paperwhite - White on Black?

albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
Forum Member
✭✭
On my iPhone Kindle App, there is the facility available to have white text on a black background. I now have a Paperwhite, but cannot see this capability. Is it not included, or have just not found it?

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    On my iPhone Kindle App, there is the facility available to have white text on a black background. I now have a Paperwhite, but cannot see this capability. Is it not included, or have just not found it?

Your iPhone does it because it is just an LCD screen and it is backlit. Black background reduces the overall brightness and glare of such a screen.

The way the Kindle works isn't really suited to that inversion.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I follow that, as the Paperwhite is backlit as well, isn't it?
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it's front-lit. There's a row of LEDs at the bottom that light the top surface of the display, using some very clever light-channels to make it look even.

It's the difference between holding a torch at the bottom of a piece of paper to light it up, or having the torch behind a translucent piece of paper and shining into your eyes.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    Amazon wrote:
    Paperwhite guides light towards the display from above instead of projecting it out at your eyes like back-lit displays, thereby reducing screen fatigue.

Not possible to do what you said on the Paperwhite.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No the paperwhite is front lit. Rather than having lights behind the screen which illuminate the the screen the paperwhite has lights in the case that shine the light on the screen as that way cuts out the eye strain issue (and the issue of it suppressing melatonin that you need to induce sleep).

Athough the reason is less the light than the screen type. A LCD screens pixels can produce any colour and can switch colours in a fraction of a second.

Eink can't do this and actually even after a page refresh you can still see a slight imprint of the previous page if you look really hard. It would have to produce a page of almost solid black apart from the text and when it then changes page it could cause issues with it not being clear to read
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, thanks folks. I didn't know about this system but I think I just about get it know. Sounds very complicated, but I guess all this modern technology is. :(