Options

Marvel's Daredevil

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched a few episodes. The brutality is very shocking but not gratuitous. I liked the scene where his dad gets him to feel the welts on his face. Violence has consequences. It is one of the reasons I dislike the 100 etc because the violence is gratuitous and just there to titillate.

I had to look on YouTube for Charlie Cox as I do not know him. I was thinking how good it is to see fresh faces. Saw him interviewed and it showed how good an actor he is. He comes across as very English and happy go lucky whereas Daredevil has a dark and heavy persona.

Whoever directed episode 2 is clearly a Chan-wook Park fan. Just saying...

Charlie Cox is fairly well known - Stardust, Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire.

And yes, he seems like a lovely chap. His US accent also seems flawless (unlike David Tennants in the dreary Gracepoint).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what my friends that have watched a couple of episodes told me, it's actually quite dark, and they said they're enjoying it lot more than Arrow. They're actually massive fans of Arrow too, so I'm surprised. Can't wait to start watching the show myself.

Arrow is comic book stuff. This is much more thriller noir, with swearing, kid abductions and graphic torture. It's not a CW show.
  • Options
    PerfectMarkPerfectMark Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Much better than I was expecting. I was expecting more AOS, which had a pretty dire start (although has got a lot better recently). But in some ways it reminds me a bit of Person of Interest and Nolan's Batman films.

Going to try and keep to an episode a week though, most of the shows I watch are on Netflix these days (although not all in the UK Netflix), so if I am not careful I run out of stuff to watch by the summer.

Also comparing DD to similar shows on other networks, I think not having adverts really does make a big difference. Other shows have to build their plots around the ad breaks, so you need a mini cliffhanger before each break to keep you watching and then you have the wrap everything up in the end 10mins after the final break. But with DD they can more naturally develop the plot.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what my friends that have watched a couple of episodes told me, it's actually quite dark, and they said they're enjoying it lot more than Arrow. They're actually massive fans of Arrow too, so I'm surprised. Can't wait to start watching the show myself.

Thanks for that. I'm a huge fan of Arrow as well so I'll have to give it a go now.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I'm a huge fan of Arrow as well so I'll have to give it a go now.

I read they are doing another spin off of Arrow.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fight scenes are amazing, although the ending of the series was kinda anticlimatic.
  • Options
    pokemasterpokemaster Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that it is set at night but find it hard to see the action, I think it should have been brightened up a bit, I suppose I can turn the brightness up a bit myself. Just starting on episode 4, been enjoying it but wouldn't just like to be able to see more haha
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Watched the first 3 episodes & I have to say I'm really impressed so far with it, it is very dark & gritty & doesn't shy away from the violence. I'm a bit surprised that Marvel let it be so dark but it really works well. I like the fact that the fight scenes are a lot more realistic than in Arrow which always seemed a bit too choreographed.

I also like the fact that the origin story is spread out over the episodes & not just quickly handled in the first couple of episodes.

So far I would give it 9 out of 10 on what I have seen so far :)
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched first two eps. Certainly not what I was expecting. I was thinking it would similar to arrow but it's a lot more violent. Fight scenes pretty good though.
  • Options
    OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    9 episodes deep and already gutted I've only got 4 hours to go. Netflix and Marvel have hit a home run. Very hard not to binge and impossible to do 1 hr chunks. Add in one of my favourite actors ever - VD'O - acting the ish out of his character and stealing every frame he's in. Fine storytelling without reducing everything to shmaltz, rich character development and a darkly atmospheric, stylish backdrop.

This has set a very high standard for the rest of the Defenders Series... I'm thinking Luke Cage is going to be immense. The downside of this is that I'll now forever watch AOS with a wistful thought of what it could have been on Netflix...
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OGB wrote: »
    9 episodes deep and already gutted I've only got 4 hours to go. Netflix and Marvel have hit a home run. Very hard not to binge and impossible to do 1 hr chunks. Add in one of my favourite actors ever - VD'O - acting the ish out of his character and stealing every frame he's in. Fine storytelling without reducing everything to shmaltz, rich character development and a darkly atmospheric, stylish backdrop.

This has set a very high standard for the rest of the Defenders Series... I'm thinking Luke Cage is going to be immense. The downside of this is that I'll now forever watch AOS with a wistful thought of what it could have been on Netflix...

This, although by the end I was feeling that, outside of fight scenes we'd not really seen on tv, it did all feel a tad generic and predictable. And Matt took ridiculous amounts of punishment that just felt unbelievable in the end.

Blooming good start though.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got done watching episode 1. Already in love with it. Has an awesome feel about it, and I love the cast. I think he's the perfect person for Matt.
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Just watched the first episode. I really liked it. I like the dark atmosphere and the girl from True Blood was really good in it.

I was disappointed that there wasn't an origin story. It felt like I'd started watching halfway through the series. I guess they'll tell us how he becomes Daredevil through flashbacks. I suppose at least this way they could hit the ground running with a lot of action and get straight into the story.

I'm glad that so far it doesn't appear to be complete crap like Agents of Shield.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the lot - what an absolute blast it was! Far superior to AOS - I guess that's down to it not having to have generic TV appeal in a way.

I wonder if they'll do another season, or it's just the first part of the Defenders arc? If so, roll on Jessica Jones :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Damn that corridor scene at the end of episode two was incredible. All shot in one take, and felt really claustrophobic. At the start the long shot of the wall with the exit sign looked almost like a painting, just before Daredevil emerges, head down, ready to kick ass. I've noticed that a lot of the scenes have been set up in such a way that if you took a still, it would fit right into a comic. I'm very impressed.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving this so far.

Just watched episode 8 - Vincent D'Onofrio is awesome as Fisk.
    Blister wrote: »

I'm glad that so far it doesn't appear to be complete crap like Agents of Shield.

How many episodes of Agents of SHIELD have you seen?

It started poorly, but it got better through the first season, and *really* improved from the fall of SHIELD (Winter Soldier) onwards.

Blister wrote: »
    Damn that corridor scene at the end of episode two was incredible. All shot in one take, and felt really claustrophobic. At the start the long shot of the wall with the exit sign looked almost like a painting, just before Daredevil emerges, head down, ready to kick ass. I've noticed that a lot of the scenes have been set up in such a way that if you took a still, it would fit right into a comic. I'm very impressed.

Yeah, that corridor fight was really well done :)
  • Options
    OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    Well that's a wrap!

11 deep and I was surprised
    Ben made it that far. History and movie tropes did not bode well for him... but he had a good run. Almost made it my brother, almost... ;) Yay for PC Brett Mahoney :D

Like Iris in The Flash (arghhh) and Zoe Barnes in HoC (grrrrr) female protagonists always seem to get on my last nerve. Karen is a barely bearable irritant. Why do they never listen, are reckless, foolhardy and over exuberant in the face of clear and present danger? Come on Matt, Claire is the One for you.

Foggy -
    douchey move bailing on Matt/everyone like that. Childish and pretty darn poor all things considered.
    Thought there was another connection with Foggy and Matt because the gym was called Fogwells but apparently not.

Flawless accent throughout by Charlie Cox.

The shout-out to Thor was such a tease but made me squee with delight anyway.

Totally expected VD'O to say 'Fisk SMASH' at the peak of his homicidal rages. ;-)

The use of Nessun Dorma - very Godfatherish.

Nice tailoring Melvin. The irony of Ben Affleck doing the movie version and this feeling very sightless Batmanish - especially in the costume dept - wasn't lost on me, or maybe that was just me. :D

Favourite Episode - 9!

Minor quibble - no one felt the need to quite easily unmask DD during the numerous ocassions he was incapacitated?

VD'O AND Spacey! I can legitimately use the term 'acting powerhouses'. Netflix rules everything.

That is all.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh that second episode was lovely - damn good hallway sequence! I just watched it again and noticed that it was all done in one continuous take with a single camera - lasts about 6 and a half minutes. Amazing stuff.

It's five shots spliced as if it's one continuous take. Still impressive, though, as the continuity through five shots is pretty spot on and the choreography is well done. Good enough to make the fight look natural.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Poor Vincent just can't seem to get that door to close....
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it but the corridor fight was ludicrous. Even leather jacketed Russians don't keep getting up when repeatedly kicked or punched in the face. The relative believability of the rest of the show was somewhat undermined by this.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree about Charlie's accent being flawless. ^^ Granted I'm from the other side of the U.S. so maybe New York accents aren't my area of expertise, but quite often I thought he sounded more like he was still Owen Sleater from Boardwalk Empire rather than someone from Hell's Kitchen. The Australian guy who played Wesley was much more believable, imo.

Having said that, it didn't bother me, as I think he was perfectly cast. In fact, he may have ruined the comic Matt Murdock for me. Fingers crossed for a season two.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OGB wrote: »
    Thought there was another connection with Foggy and Matt because the gym was called Fogwells but apparently not.
    Fogwell's is the gym in the comic where Matt trained.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Loved it but the corridor fight was ludicrous. Even leather jacketed Russians don't keep getting up when repeatedly kicked or punched in the face. The relative believability of the rest of the show was somewhat undermined by this.

For the most part the fight scenes were good but agree that was just crazy Especially some of the moves, instead of straight forward kick to the face he'd add a flip, not sure why but i guess it looks good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    How many episodes of Agents of SHIELD have you seen?

It started poorly, but it got better through the first season, and *really* improved from the fall of SHIELD (Winter Soldier) onwards.
    If I remember correctly I only watched about 4 episodes. I'm not going to watch it on the promise that it gets better, because those first ones were so bad (terrible scripts, dialogue, acting, casting...). There wasn't anything good about them.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

Matt had two stab wounds and 3 broken ribs by the end of episode 2 !!!

I don't think believability comes into it.

Murdoch seems to be a human punchbag in these fights with almost Wolverine powers of recuperation. They should pit him against Boyd Crowder who seems similarly immune to bullets.