Marvel's Daredevil

Comments

• eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blister wrote: »
    If I remember correctly I only watched about 4 episodes. I'm not going to watch it on the promise that it gets better, because those first ones were so bad (terrible scripts, dialogue, acting, casting...). There wasn't anything good about them.

It picked up at the end of season 1 but the second half of season 2 is almost as bad as the first season for me.

Stupid arguments over who is SHIELD and long lingering pieces on Skye, who can't act and will be of no interest to anybody except teenage boys. It's a valid criticism that the AOS act more like hormonal adolescents rather than trained professionals....the show is a joke.
  • Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    eggshell wrote: »
    Matt had two stab wounds and 3 broken ribs by the end of episode 2 !!!

I don't think believability comes into it..

Of course, believability doesn't come into it - this is a story about a blind man getting extra sensory powers due to having a barrel of radioactive goo getting into his eyes. If this story was about believability, he would be dead and then the story would end there!

Can you send suspend your disbelief,though? After what I said above, you have to. But also I can because this is made so well. As for the corridor scene, believable or not, it was one of the more memorable sequences in the series. Good enough for me.
  • Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    It picked up at the end of season 1 but the second half of season 2 is almost as bad as the first season for me.

Stupid arguments over who is SHIELD and long lingering pieces on Skye, who can't act and will be of no interest to anybody except teenage boys. It's a valid criticism that the AOS act more like hormonal adolescents rather than trained professionals....the show is a joke.

I wouldn't go so far as say it's a joke, but has been a very disappointing series. When i first heard about the show I thought it was going to like the Shield comics that Marvel made - the Jim Steranko stuff, James Bond type stuff hyped up, with more mature seasoned professionals, not a bunch of kids. It's just Whedon trying to get his Buffy-vibe started up again, all that "Scooby Gang" shite. Totally wrong for a series when the best way to use Shield can be seen quite clearly in the comics.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finished season one last night.

Loved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, believability doesn't come into it - this is a story about a blind man getting extra sensory powers due to having a barrel of radioactive goo getting into his eyes. If this story was about believability, he would be dead and then the story would end there!

Can you send suspend your disbelief,though? After what I said above, you have to. But also I can because this is made so well. As for the corridor scene, believable or not, it was one of the more memorable sequences in the series. Good enough for me.

I'd like to see more on his radar sense, don't think they make enough of it.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm two episodes in and it's not bad. Not bad at all. I love the fight scenes, it feels quite real and not choreographed. I should have this rattled through in the next day or two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go so far as say it's a joke, but has been a very disappointing series. When i first heard about the show I thought it was going to like the Shield comics that Marvel made - the Jim Steranko stuff, James Bond type stuff hyped up, with more mature seasoned professionals, not a bunch of kids. It's just Whedon trying to get his Buffy-vibe started up again, all that "Scooby Gang" shite. Totally wrong for a series when the best way to use Shield can be seen quite clearly in the comics.

Apart from a credit on the opening titles, I really don't think Joss Whedon has much to do with the show. It's Jed Whedon who is in an active writer on the show. He doesn't seem to have the same gravitas as Joss in regards to story telling.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think believability comes into it.

Murdoch seems to be a human punchbag in these fights with almost Wolverine powers of recuperation. They should pit him against Boyd Crowder who seems similarly immune to bullets.

No, he's got normal comic book powers of recuperation! He gets his ass kicked a lot in the comic but recovers ok - I think this comes across in the show i.e. beaten up badly in one episode and then just wearing some plasters and bandages in the next.

If they went too realistic then most fight scenes in most shows would spell the end of the series while the protagonist spent a few weeks in hospital recovering!!
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think believability comes into it.

Murdoch seems to be a human punchbag in these fights with almost Wolverine powers of recuperation. They should pit him against Boyd Crowder who seems similarly immune to bullets.

Boyd is also immune to high explosives, having been almost blown sky high on several occasions.:)
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without spoilers can someone tell me if the Daredevil in this has a Disability like the one in the Daredevil movie?
  • sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that does annoy me is the almost perpetual night time on the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Without spoilers can someone tell me if the Daredevil in this has a Disability like the one in the Daredevil movie?

Yes, he's blind.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moral of the story: if you've got chemicals all over your face and your dad tells you to close your eyes, don't completely ignore him and keep your eyes open.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Arrow is comic book stuff. This is much more thriller noir, with swearing, kid abductions and graphic torture. It's not a CW show.

Can't everyone just get along?

Besides, it is a bit insulting as Daredevil IS comic book stuff (didn't know it stood for a synonym of childish :confused:). Yes, just like the comic book tv shows, there are different levels of storytelling in comic books also (*shocking*).

As a comic book fan it pains me a little to see all these fans battling with each other on what is better (haven't seen Daredevil yet, but appears that gritty and dark equals good or something).

Besides, obviously Daredevil is going to be a lot darker as it's on Netflix and not the CW.

Will probably check Daredevil out if it ever comes on tv (even if the Kingpin is not my favourite bad guy), but a bit of a shame that so many people have to trample on other shows to praise it.

And for the record, I am a Marvel fan boy (though more X-men then Avengers) and watch both AoS and Arrow (on tv, The Flash has not arrived here yet).
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the first season.

Really excited for the other Netflix Marvel shows to come out now!

Found that the show got better with each passing episode! Really excited for season 2 if it happens.

Only issue I have with it is his final outfit. Don't get me wrong, it looks cool and all, but I personally feel that the outfit that Ben Affleck wore in the movie is a lot better looking. I get they were going with a more modern vibe to his suit in the show, but I just miss the whole devil feel about it.

But yeah, loved the show. Looking forward to seeing where they take it next season if it happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will probably check Daredevil out if it ever comes on tv (even if the Kingpin is not my favourite bad guy), but a bit of a shame that so many people have to trample on other shows to praise it.

It's a "Netflix Original", like House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black, Bloodline, and Marco Polo. It's made specifically for Netflix, and wouldn't end up anywhere else (other than perhaps DVD & BD).

The TV version of Kingpin/Fisk is brilliant - Vincent D'Onofrio is amazing in the role.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I haven't read the entire thread here for risk of spoilers (I'm on episode #6 at the moment) though I am liking it. Some of it is a little unbelievable though (even though it's unbelievable in itself).

Matt has Vladimir in an abandoned warehouse, and somehow knows that there's broken glass (okay he could have stepped on it), two flairs and half a box of nails to utilize. How did he know about the flairs and half box of nails exactly?
  • BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Matt has Vladimir in an abandoned warehouse, and somehow knows that there's broken glass (okay he could have stepped on it), two flairs and half a box of nails to utilize. How did he know about the flairs and half box of nails exactly?
    I guess they haven't bothered to explain it, but he has some kind of sonar/radar ability, even allowing him to see through objects. That's why just before he answers he pauses and concentrates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't just have some weird alternative form of sight. All of his other senses are enhanced, e.g. he presumably would have been able to smell the the chemicals in the flares.
  • Phil_ChapmanPhil_Chapman Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I think it is brilliantly done. It's far darker than most superhero series and more gore. Finally a superhero series that is not all "touchy feely".

The acting is of a really good standard, no cheese or tacky lines, very immersive.

I am at 10/13 so I only have 3 left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    only made it to end of episode two but absolutely loved the first two episodes. Really impressed how the managed to avoid making it corny/tacky and has some real grit to it which is refreshing!

GoT tonight... I'm torn!

:cool: <--- Matt Murdoch :)
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he's got normal comic book powers of recuperation! He gets his ass kicked a lot in the comic but recovers ok - I think this comes across in the show i.e. beaten up badly in one episode and then just wearing some plasters and bandages in the next.

If they went too realistic then most fight scenes in most shows would spell the end of the series while the protagonist spent a few weeks in hospital recovering!!
    He mentions meditating to help with healing his wounds in episode seven and you see hum doing it later in the show. the writers abuse this a little but he's certainly not indestructible.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ONLY criticism with the show is that he probably got beat up a little too easily by just normal Russian mob dudes. A normal thug should no chance whatsoever. They need to play up his heightened sense a bit more which means he can avoid pretty much any attack thrown his way.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seen 2 episodes(will stretch the season out over 2 weeks)

brilliant so far, didnt expect it to be so well directed and dark/gritty

the fight scene in episode 2 is like oldboy scene