Capaldi says he has been asked to STAY on DW...(but has not decided)

Comments

• Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I love being Doctor Who", says Peter Capaldi. "I will be around for as long as it's right". @BBCRadio2
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    It's surprising to me that some people believe everything that is told to them, and don't even see the possibility that there might be more to something than meets the eye.

I'm rather reminded of the time when some forum members thought that Matt Smith had been sacked rather than left of his own accord because "he looked a little sad in the interviews".

Sure there are some people who will believe everything that's told to them (I probably include myself in that), but there are certainly others who will over analyse things and shape the evidence fit their own flights of fancy.

Personally I'm included to believe what PC said, mainly because he's not quite so good at the PR game as others, and it's quite easy to tell when he's being evasive about things (see several quotes about the filming dates of series 10 as an example). But the statement "I've been offered series 11" is a rather firm statement. I wouldn't expect him to have decided either way yet, it is after all two or three years away yet (I've lost count), and he will no doubt want to discuss Chibnall's plans, read his scripts first and then the bean counters will need to get involved to negotiate contracts etc.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Who knows? Maybe if season 10 does really well on its return to spring and with the new companion, Peter Capaldi staying on for season 11 won't be such an issue.

But it is worth remembering that if the BBC's PR team had had their way back in 1986, we would all have been told Colin Baker had been offered Season 24 but had instead decided to quit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Who knows? Maybe if season 10 does really well on its return to spring and with the new companion, Peter Capaldi staying on for season 11 won't be such an issue.

But it is worth remembering that if the BBC's PR team had had their way back in 1986, we would all have been told Colin Baker had been offered Season 24 but had instead decided to quit.

The good part to me is he has been given a choice just like DT and MS, he can walk away on his own terms IF he wants.
    I really have no idea if he will stay or not.
  • Rich_AllenRich_Allen Posts: 738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all about the money, if they dangle big enough Pound signs under his nose, he'll stay, if not, the Doctor will regenerate into somebody else at the end of the next series, who could take over realistically though? A younger man (not too young though, going from David Tennant to Matt Smith was a mistake IMO, Matt is too young)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_Allen wrote: »
    It's all about the money, if they dangle big enough Pound signs under his nose, he'll stay, if not, the Doctor will regenerate into somebody else at the end of the next series, who could take over realistically though? A younger man (not too young though, going from David Tennant to Matt Smith was a mistake IMO, Matt is too young)

If your determined to move on..money will not make much difference, (i,e Smith, Tennant, CE)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doubt it's ALL about the money with Peter. And Matt was brilliant, IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doubt it's ALL about the money with Peter. And Matt was brilliant, IMO.

Considering what a huge fan he is and his constant speech about how this is his dream job, I agree,
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the show would risk screwing itself over if it opted for another Tennant-like Doctor, because it would be forcing a limit on itself over the diversity they can have in the lead role that they've been trying to break with Capaldi. Success is great and essential to keep the show going, but I don't think it needs to sacrifice creativity and diversity just to compete for popularity. That will be the point I'll know the show has lost it's soul.

Many people say they hope Chris Chibnall makes the show more like the RTD years to bring back it's mainstream success, because they're under the false impression that doing the same thing year after year is going to keep the show going strong, when it's flexibility is the reason it's still here today (and I really don't think New Who would have made it to this point if it was the same thing it was ten years ago, at least not with much success). What is essential is that Chibnall doesn't imitate RTD, or Moffat, or Hinchliffe, or Letts, or anyone; but that he brings his own take on things.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

Whoswho1 wrote: »
    The good part to me is he has been given a choice just like DT and MS, he can walk away on his own terms IF he wants.
    I really have no idea if he will stay or not.
    The point Mullet made was that we would all have believed Colin had been offered a choice.

Apart from McCoy and McGann (who were essentially made redundant by the lack of a series), Colin was the only Doctor who let it be publicly known that it wasn't his decision to leave.

Hartnell took the face-saving choice, even though we now know it wasn't his decision.
    http://cuttingsarchive.org/index.php/New_%22Dr_Who%22_Sought
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope capaldi leaves after series 10 giving chibnal a clean slate to work with like moffat had when he took over
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    On Radio 2 today, Capaldi said he'd done 28 episodes so far, and that Davros was played by Julian Breen.

It always amazes me how forum fanbois mindlessly accept whatever the BBC or those working on the show (which is the same thing) say about the show after so many years of spin, lies and cobblers.

No one is ever going to say anything about current events that is less than enthusiastic, positive, supportive and polished.

Even Tony Blackburn was expected to voluntarily 'resign' instead of being fired. He'll never be back on his old BBC shows - not because of what he actually said to the judge, but because he didn't "play the game."

And as we all know... Hartnell chose to leave the show of his own accord. Just like Freema Agyeman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Hope capaldi leaves after series 10 giving chibnal a clean slate to work with like moffat had when he took over

Moffat did not want a clean doctor slate he wanted DT to stay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Radio 2 today, Capaldi said he'd done 14 episodes so far, and that Davros was played by Julian Breen.

It always amazes me how forum fanbois mindlessly accept whatever the BBC or those working on the show (which is the same thing) say about the show after so many years of spin, lies and cobblers.

No one is ever going to say anything about current events that is less than enthusiastic, positive, supportive and polished.

Even Tony Blackburn was expected to voluntarily 'resign' instead of being fired. He'll never be back on his old BBC shows - not because of what he actually said to the judge, but because he didn't "play the game."

And as we all know... Hartnell chose to leave the show of his own accord. Just like Freema Agyeman.

I think I stopped caring at "forum fanbois"

I just hadn't realised I'd wandered into Club Penguin. :confused:
    Forum Member
    On Radio 2 today, Capaldi said he'd done 14 episodes so far, and that Davros was played by Julian Breen.

What amazes me more is that some people are incapable of having a civilised discussion without resorting to childish name calling. So what? Some people have a different opinion to you, why the need for the derogatory term?

Did I mindless accept what I was being told? No I weighed up the information and evidence presented to me and came to a different conclusion than you. Very much the opposite of being mindless I would suggest. You may well be right, I may well be right, who knows? but I don't see the need to put down people who disagree with you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tony Blackburn was expected to voluntarily 'resign' instead of being fired. He'll never be back on his old BBC shows - not because of what he actually said to the judge, but because he didn't "play the game."

Sooo than by that logic, its possible the same could be said of Smith Or Tennant, they were told to Voluntarily resign?...despite the fact we were told it was their choice?
    Forum Member
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    they were told to Voluntarily resign?

Were they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were they?

If apparently you cant trust any actor or BBC employee to tell the truth....
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

How does this factor into the fact that her exit scenes at the end of Series 3 were filmed before the third series had even begun? The third series kicked off on the last day of March in 2007, production wrapped on it about two days later. Hardly think she was sat down for 'the talk', and I hardly think that ending would have been written if they intended to just shove her straight back in for Series 4.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Colin was offered one story of Season 24 and Six would regenerate at the end. He refused, which was fair enough in the circs. I know that as a gullible fanboi.
    Forum Member
    How does this factor into the fact that her exit scenes at the end of Series 3 were filmed before the third series had even begun?

I wonder if Gardner and RTD wanted Tate to be the companion, but she said no, so they got Agyeman, only for Tate to change her mind later on?...

I believe there was "every Dalek ever". I really do. And the 2005 BBC press release that 'quoted' Christopher Eccleston's reasons for leaving and all the official talk about fearing typecasting on board a very, very happy ship. Any talk of three individuals at the very top of the pyramid is just "opinion".
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Gardner and RTD wanted Tate to be the companion, but she said no, so they got Agyeman, only for Tate to change her mind later on?...

I believe there was "every Dalek ever". I really do.

Have you read the Writers Tale? Or are you just assuming that's all lies too? They're rather elaborate lies if so. Quite some work of fiction... Freeman going had nothing to do with Tate returning, because before Donna came back there was going to be a different companion called Penny (IIRC). It's all there in black & white if you choose to read it, and if you believe it of course.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

I believe there was "every Dalek ever". I really do.

The Writer's Tale makes it quite clear that there was no intention originally of having Catherine Tate on board full time, and RTD never wrote the character with a long-term idea in mind. He thought she'd be a very annoying full-time character, and specifically toned her down in Series 4. He went for such a loud, semi-slapstick character as it was a welcome distraction and knowing constrast from the more mournful end to Rose's story at that point in time - personally I felt Donna's debut in Doomsday was jarring as much as I love the character.

Freema Agyeman applied for a role in The Christmas Invasion which she didn't get, then a role in Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel which was subsequently cut from the script, and then was successful in getting the role she had in Army of Ghosts. They liked her versatility through her numerous auditions and she was given a screen test with Tennant, later securing the companion role for Series 3. I don't think anyone would be achieving anything by lying about any of that.

Series 4 was originally going to have a northern companion called Penny and the Doctor was going to be romantically attracted to her. It was after a conversation with Jane Tranter about the possibility of returning that RTD and Julie Gardner retooled a lot of ideas for Series 4 to accommodate Donna's comeback.

The exact reason as to why Martha wasn't around for more than one series remains a mystery. Judging by how she came back in Series 4, appeared in Torchwood and was originally going to be in the line-up for Children of Earth it certainly wasn't due to any poor relationships behind the scenes. And given that the third series wrapped more or less before broadcast, it wasn't a decision made on the basis of any kind of fan reception either. It literally seems like they just made an active decision to do a one-series companion with a well-rounded story.

That's very different to the 'every Dalek ever' situation which was a promotional tactic that fans got wind of very quickly. It doesn't equate with the companion casting backstories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goddamn BBC and their corporate lies. They told me Doctor Who would start at 7:00pm.

But it started at 6:59. :(
    Forum Member
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    Goddamn BBC and their corporate lies. They told me Doctor Who would start at 7:00pm.

They told me there would be more Who than ever before...

How, in your evident wisdom, did you interpret Mark Gatiss's recent remark about the slave being free, by the way?