Options

So, were Smith and Tennant fired?

Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Both supposdly quit...But did the evil BBC only TELL them to say that????

reanactment,

BBC: Hi David

David: Hi, Are we on for next series? I love doing the show

BBC: ummmmm no, Steven wants a clean slate with a younger doctor. BUT we need you lie to the media and your fans and say we gave you an option to stay on next season. mmmmk? TY

David: uhhhhhh.... what?

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone think that?
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David: Okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Why would anyone think that?

This is exactly what some are saying BBC told PC to do. So, why would it not apply to other doctor actors?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    This is exactly what some are saying BBC told PC to do. So, why would it not apply to other doctor actors?

Who are these "some people" of whom you speak?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Photo evidence of the BBC telling David Tennant he's fired:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-trd79L8t27g/VZ2HngsI3sI/AAAAAAAAY_Q/Df4ihSf4y1s/s1600/image3.jpeg
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    I can attest that it's definitely true and this photo is not an obvious rip from Jessica Jones. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I can attest that it's definitely true and this photo is not an obvious rip from Jessica Jones. ;)

Indisputable, of course. You can quite clearly see him mouthing the words "You can't do this to me!"
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    Indisputable, of course. You can quite clearly see him mouthing the words "You can't do this to me!"

It is also, however, a snap from his audition to take over the role of Malcolm Tucker. :)
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is we're not privy to what really happened during the negotiations. Seeing as Tennant and Smith were both getting a lot of offers at the time, I would expect they (and their agents) set out what they wanted to earn and the BBC set out what they wanted to pay.

"Lowballing" is a good way to dent an actor's ego and get them to go away quietly.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were Smith and Tennant fired?

Nope.

Next dopey question...
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way I remember it, Tennant was considering a fifth year, and Moffat even planned a version of Series 5 where he was the Doctor (he met Amy as a child just before he regenerated, and then she met him as an adult earlier in his timeline) and Smith pulled a Pertwee, where he offered to stay for a pay-rise, but was pretty content to leave otherwise.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Why would Tennant have returned for the 50th if he was fired ??
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Both supposdly quit...But did the evil BBC only TELL them to say that????

reanactment,

BBC: Hi David

David: Hi, Are we on for next series? I love doing the show

BBC: ummmmm no, Steven wants a clean slate with a younger doctor. BUT we need you lie to the media and your fans and say we gave you an option to stay on next season. mmmmk? TY

David: uhhhhhh.... what?
    Poor whoswho1. So blatantly annoyed that people dare to question Capaldi's comments in the other thread, that this seems an attempt to have a tantrum in thread form.

The difference, and the entire reason why most people are questioning Capaldi's comments at all, is that both Tennant and Smith only talked about what had happened AFTER everything had been decided and announced. The fact that Capaldi is making comments like this now stinks of something fishy, and an attempt to convince us of something, and as such is not comparable to Tennant and Smith as this never happened with them.

The fact that they only talked about it after, when there was nothing at stake and no reason to lie, proves just that, they would have no reason to lie at that point.

Please do answer me why you think the usual norm of the cast and crew being entirely secretive on such things would change now, for no reason, as you seem to keep ignoring that fact, and would rather create what seems like a petty revenge thread to all those who would dare to question Capaldi's comments.

P.s I know you don't really care about the answer to your supposed question, but if you really think that you could convince anyone that the incredibly popular Tennant was sacked then that in itself is laughable.

Having Tennant stay on would have been a boost for Moffat. Having a doctor stay on who is associated with a period when interest and ratings waned might well have the opposite effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is we're not privy to what really happened during the negotiations. Seeing as Tennant and Smith were both getting a lot of offers at the time, I would expect they (and their agents) set out what they wanted to earn and the BBC set out what they wanted to pay.

"Lowballing" is a good way to dent an actor's ego and get them to go away quietly.

No doubt PC will bet plenty of offers as well. Actors coming off this show always do:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor whoswho1. So blatantly annoyed that people dare to question Capaldi's comments, that this seems an attempt to have a tantrum in thread form.

The difference, and the entire reason why most people are questioning Capaldi's comments at all, is that both Tennant and Smith only talked about what had happened AFTER everything had been decided and announced. The fact that Capaldi is making comments like this now stinks of something fishy, and an attempt to convince us of something, and as such is not comparable to Tennant and Smith as this never happened with them.

The fact that they only talked about it after, when there was nothing at stake and no reason to lie, proves just that, they would have no reason to lie at that point.

Please do answer me why you think the usual norm of the cast and crew being entirely secretive on such things would change now, for no reason, as you seem to keep ignoring that fact, and would rather create what seems like a petty revenge thread to all those who would dare to question Capaldi's comments.

P.s I know you don't really care about the answer to your supposed question, but if you really think that you could convince anyone that the incredibly popular Tennant was sacked then that in itself is laughable.

Having Tennant stay on would have been a boost for Moffat. Having a doctor stay on who is associated with a period when interest and ratings waned might well have the opposite effect.

poor? I'm fine thanks

The automatic insinuation PC is lying to fans he cherishes... is pretty insulting to him or ANY actor lol.

..and the really great thing about it is..it cant be disproven unless he actually does Series 11 !
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    poor? I'm fine thanks

The automatic insinuation PC is lying to fans he cherishes... is pretty insulting to him or ANY actor lol.

..and the really great thing about it is..it cant be disproven unless he actually does Series 11 !
    Not really. I would think any actor who had been suggested to leave a job, in a way that was respectful to them and would not tarnish there career, would just see it as a good deal all around. PR is just PR. Plus the insinuation is not 'automatic', as I've never said I have suspected his statements of being untrue before. I just do with this one since it has been strangely handled and goes against everything that is usually done regarding information about the show.

If it is indeed as I suspect at this point all smoke and mirrors to hide the fact of his leaving, then I'm not suggesting that I think they'd be shoving him out the door. More that if true, that it was likely suggested to Capaldi that due to the recent ratings issue's that it would be best all around to start with a new doctor would wasn't tarnished with the association with that less successful period, and that he, as a fan, would want what is best for the show so would agree. Especially, if his leaving was offered in a respectful way where it appeared to be completely his lone decision.

I think of him as someone likely to put what is seen as best for the show above personal pride, and be fine with leaving if that was what was seen as best.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I have it on good authority that this is how it went down back in 2009...

Moffat: "I'd love to have you on board for Series 5, David".

Tennant: "Ah that's great, Steven! I could stay in this thing forever!"

Moffat: "I'm gonna draft in a Scottish companion, Scottish Master... maybe chuck in some references to Scottish independence and Paisley in my first few episodes. Just us Scots together! I've been thinking of plastering the St Andrews Cross all over the new TARDIS exterior, nothing is too outrageous! You can scale back the fake accent too if you want, we'll blame it on the timey wimey or something"

RTD: "To hell with that, this is a big gay Welsh thing. You're ruining the plans Steven! It's worse than my big stonking deux ex machina moments!!!".

Moffat: "Well I'm The Moff. Just accept it".

RTD: "Sorry David, I'm gonna have to write you out. Not quite sure how yet but we can't be pushing agendas on the show like this, we simply can't".

Tennant: "But... I can do so much more. So much more! AND IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!. I don't wanna go".

RTD: *scribbles hastily on paper* "Keep it coming Dave, this stuff is gold!".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Moffat: "I'm gonna draft in a Scottish companion, Scottish Master... maybe chuck in some references to Scottish independence and Paisley in my first few episodes. Just us Scots together! I've been thinking of plastering the St Andrews Cross all over the new TARDIS exterior, nothing is too outrageous! You can scale back the fake accent too if you want, we'll blame it on the timey wimey or something"

RTD: "To hell with that, this is a big gay Welsh thing. You're ruining the plans Steven! It's worse than my big stonking deux ex machina moments!!!".

RTD: "Sorry David, I'm gonna have to write you out. Not quite sure how yet but we can't be pushing agendas on the show like this, we simply can't".

Tennant: "But... I can do so much more. So much more! AND IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!. I don't wanna go".

LOL! I think you were actually there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And thus, half of RTD's era was mysteriously retconned...
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    And thus, half of RTD's era was mysteriously retconned...

Well, there was that brief period where they were adamantly trying to push Matt Smith's first year as 'Series 1' all over again :D And RTD has refused to write for anything under Steven Moffat so far. I detect sour grapes. Erased from Doctor Who indeed!

Yep, we've figured it! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there was that brief period where they were adamantly trying to push Matt Smith's first year as 'Series 1' all over again :D And RTD has refused to write for anything under Steven Moffat so far. I detect sour grapes. Erased from Doctor Who indeed!

Yep, we've figured it! :p

Moffat: "And guess what else?"

RTD: "Try me, it can't get much worse"

Moffat: "I'm giving the Doctor a new sweetheart, and it isn't Rose..."

RTD: "You sick ****..."

David: "Mom dad stop fighting"
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smith and Tennant eh?

Mmmm, beer!
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely spanking news. Coincidentally I have been searching Digital spy forum for ideas for new conspiracy theories that I am going to write about on my Google + page. I already had the old Chrissy Eccleston leaving Doctor Who one whereby you guys are my 'sources'. Having looked at the X Factor forums December I have learned about the manipulation that may make its return interesting for me to watch for the first time in years. I have also written about Derren Brown conspiracies from the thread on his show. I have pages of scribblings from the Big Brother forum and it's inspired me to re-watch clips from I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here so I can write about how constructed /scripted this show was even back then. My Big Brother notes are plentiful so I will seek the advice of a writer who I know on what to do with them.

As I said, you guys are my sources and the beauty of conspiracy theories is that you don't have to verify anything. It's just the ramblings of an old woman ie me. I shall just add this little nugget of information to the doctor who section.

I will post the link when I finish typing this shit up
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with joke threads is that not everyone gets the joke.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    Were Smith and Tennant fired?

Nope.

Next dopey question...

This - Of course they weren't fired.