Doctor Who- Series 6, Ep 12: Closing Time - BBC One, 7.10 pm- Discussion Thread

Comments

• laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked the episode up until Craig's over-simple (and in my mind total cheeseball) escape from the cyberman suit.

I thought that if he'd been left there it would've been great - really dark. INot just 'cos I'm not a big Corden fan - I honestly thought that was how it was going to go as well - 'Doctor putting people in danger, letting his friends get killed' type stuff and I thought that would've been excellent. I actually gasped. Yes, Craig would have had to be returned to normal at some point (even I'm not that dark) but not like that.

There's clearly a whole 'dad/parent' thing going on throughout the series, too, but it's all a bit much for me tbh..
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Shrimps wrote: »
    It was light hearted and amusing and I enjoyed it. The ending was a bit cheesy, though. I'd rather the sound of the baby crying, affected Craig so much the attempt to assimilate him couldn't take, rather than it could completely reverse the process. Still, Matt and James do work well together.

The last five minutes...

^ This!
    I am missing all things Saturday at the moment, doing a part time Journalism Diploma. I had to leave straight after to drive 2 (actually 3) hours to a family event... and what cracked me up!? My aged mum calling me to ask what to Sky Plus (DW and Confidential) and then... forgetting!!!

Caught up with it just now on iPlayer.

It wasn't a bad episode - but it seems to be that there is an awful lot to tie up now in the final episodes.

Madame Eye-patch was properly creepy at the end!
    As was the site of River and the Silence in the deep end of a swimming pool :p

Miss the more immediate chatter here - I feel I've always missed the best stuff when I have to catch up on a Sunday... loving the assessment of "an hour of haters and then the thread settles down" :D
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    When people are complaining about the music being too loud and ruining the episode it is very rare that I have even noticed the music. Or maybe I was just too busy noticing James Cordon ruining the episode for me to notice the music as well :D

I didn't notice any music either. :D
  • col bcol b Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    All along the doctor was not supposed to learn about the events surrounding his death to protect time as river pointed out in TIA.If then he never had pre-knowlage of his upcomming death,how on earth would he end up at the lake to be shot?
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    I must be one of the other 3 then because I don't vote excellent every time and I did this week because I enjoyed it.

Ah, for once I can't really agree with you Tumpy:D. I didn't hate it by any stretch of the imagination, but I didn't think it was very good either. Like Doctor Qui said, there were some truly brilliant moments (loved the Doctor/Craig bromance), but there were some truly naff moments as well.

I was honestly surprised so many people thought it was excellent (and we seem to have a very high vote of excellent every week, which in my view invalidates the poll a bit).

Statistically speaking, most people should vote around the middle with an even dispersion towards the two endmembers (normal distribution). The fact that most people vote excellent (skewed distribution) looks like a biased poll to me (maybe not surprising on a Doctor Who forum:)).
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    col b wrote: »
    All along the doctor was not supposed to learn about the events surrounding his death to protect time as river pointed out in TIA.If then he never had pre-knowlage of his upcomming death,how on earth would he end up at the lake to be shot?
    River didn't say that The Doctor couldn't have pre-knowledge of his death just that they couldn't tell him and that they couldn't tell him that an older version of himself had summoned them all. Unless I'm remembering wrong and that wouldn't be the first time.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Do people not listen to the dialogue? Before putting her in the suit there was a line about how they'd been carefully erasing her memories over the year.

Yes I did but reasonably assumed she was referring to memories about her training and the Silence, in other words, a kind of sleeper weapon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just realised that if the bit at the end of this episode was indeed what it looked like, then no wonder that Melody Pond/River Song is known as the greatest war criminal in the universe - she's killed the Doctor not once but twice :p
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Yes I did but reasonably assumed she was referring to memories about her training and the Silence, in other words, a kind of sleeper weapon!
    The point being that if they spent her life erasing her memories there's a pretty clear set up for why she wouldn't remember killing The Doctor.
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    The point being that if they spent her life erasing her memories there's a pretty clear set up for why she wouldn't remember killing The Doctor.

Don't see that at all, she is quite clear that she is the Stormcage for killing the best man she ever knew...at the moment, we are led to believe that is the Doctor.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another episode solved by love conquers all.
    Boring.Next week's looks good though.
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted average - the cybermen weren't threatening, were a little bit stupid (no wonder they were going to make craig controller). There's been too many episodes resolved by 'belief' in the last 2 series rather than anything tangible.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The perfume Amy advertised was called "petrichor" - apparently a word she used in The Doctor's Wife, according to the BBC site - which means "the scent of rain on dry earth." . Doubt it means much except vaguely linking the dry plains of Utah to the waters of the lake, or the water metaphor in River's name, but still interesting :)
    It also implies Amy isn't just a model. The name of the perfume and the tagline about not waiting, were obviously inspired by her adventures with the Doctor, which suggests she (and/or Rory) had control over the text of the advert. She didn't just turn up to be photographed. She probably created the perfume and owns the company.

Perhaps not as great a career as other recent ex-companions, but she never seemed conventionally talented. Her life was pretty much screwed up when the Doctor failed to return to her as a child. She ended up as a strippergram, so having a perfume company would be a step up.
    k9fan wrote: »
    So much for saving people, he didn't save George and Shona.
    Well, Shona got taken before she even met the Doctor. But he didn't save anyone, really. Craig saved himself.
    zathrous wrote: »
    The Doctor in 6.12 Closing Time is the 200 years older Stetson Doctor. I wonder where that gap occurred.
    To me this Doctor was clearly different to in the previous episode. It took me a while to realise that the differences added up to age. Matt's performance and make-up are different.
    Corwin wrote: »
    I wonder who it is that is Investigating the Doctors death in such detail as to get eye witness acounts from three Children in Colchester.
    In the Hitler episode, it seemed like River's murdering of the Doctor had been a famous event for time-travellers, making her a high profile criminal for those guys who were going to punish Hitler. So I'd guess it was either those guys, or someone like them, who investigated events leading up to that death. This was probably the act that got her imprisoned, so presumably there was a trial, and evidence collected for that.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    I'm amazed how many people have voted 'Excellent'??
    It was just a filler, nothing more nothing less. The last 5 minutes were the only interesting thing. And as for Amy being a make-up model. Firstly she's nowhere near attractive enough, and secondly since when do they get asked for autographs??

I think there are many who would disagree-me included.

Actually she is perfect "assistant" material imo-too flighty by far early in her first series but is a far more rounded now-marrying her off has calmed her down yet she still has the youth and looks to bring that type of energy to the screen. And its a brilliant name Amy Pond.
  • sonic157sonic157 Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Well, Shona got taken before she even met the Doctor. But he didn't save anyone, really. Craig saved himself.

Debatable. Would Craig have resisted if the Doctor hadn't been there to build up his belief in himself?
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    She probably created the perfume and owns the company.

Perhaps not as great a career as other recent ex-companions...

Unless you consider the fact that her daughter has to get her mid-control/poison cosmetics from somewhere and you've just suggested that Amy owns a cosmetics company - then your imagination can really run wild :)
    Forum Member
    I struggled to make out some of the dialogue but I put that down to Corden's breathless mumbling on some of his lines. (I had to rewind and whack subtitiles on when he and the Doctor were first in the department store.)
    Forum Member
    Just a thought but...

Is it possible that Madam K - surrounded by Silents - is just as much a victim as River?

She coud be their puppet rather than their leader (they apparently needed some humans/non-Silents around to interact with people - like Renfrew) and if Madam K is such a victim, she may have had the odd lucid moment and been able to build-in a warning or escape for River in the same way Renfrew (presumably) tried to warn people with the writing on the walls in DotM.

People have questioned the purpose of the patch - it might be the only way the Silent's can keep control of her even when they are not physically present.

It would be funny if Madam K actually saves the Doctor's life having appeared to be the main villain.
    Forum Member
    Just a thought but...

Is it possible that Madam K - surrounded by Silents - is just as much a victim as River?

She coud be their puppet rather than their leader (they apparently needed some humans/non-Silents around to interact with people - like Renfrew) and if Madam K is such a victim, she may have had the odd lucid moment and been able to build-in a warning or escape for River in the same way Renfrew (presumably) tried to warn people with the writing on the walls in DotM.

People have questioned the purpose of the patch - it might be the only way the Silent's can keep control of her even when they are not physically present.

It would be funny if Madam K actually saves the Doctor's life having appeared to be the main villain.

I think this is a good point and I'm sure I've raised this somewhere some months back...or it could be that I spoke to someone at work:confused:
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    I'm amazed how many people have voted 'Excellent'??
    It was just a filler, nothing more nothing less. The last 5 minutes were the only interesting thing. And as for Amy being a make-up model. Firstly she's nowhere near attractive enough, and secondly since when do they get asked for autographs??

Although Karen Gillan herself was a make-up model...

'Gillan worked as a model in 2007's London Fashion Week for designer Allegra Hicks' autumn/winter catwalk show [9] and the launch party of Nicola Roberts' Dainty Doll Make-Up Range'

This is from Wikipedia but I just found this video

http://pamperedandpolished.co.uk/2010/08/new-nicola-roberts-dainty-doll-make-up-collection/

where you see Karen modelling it.
    Forum Member
    Although Karen Gillan herself was a make-up model...

'Gillan worked as a model in 2007's London Fashion Week for designer Allegra Hicks' autumn/winter catwalk show [9] and the launch party of Nicola Roberts' Dainty Doll Make-Up Range'

This is from Wikipedia but I just found this video

http://pamperedandpolished.co.uk/2010/08/new-nicola-roberts-dainty-doll-make-up-collection/

where you see Karen modelling it.

For me KG is a perfect make up model, or model full stop. She has milky white skin, really cute small freckles on her nose, beautiful eyes, legs that just don't stop, hair that just knocks you dead!

She is possibly the most attractive companion in the history of the show!

IMO of course:D

***dribbles***
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    Just caught up on the episode.
    Voted 'Good'.

I'm not a JC fan, but he was good as Craig.
    And the baby was super cute too!

Lots of LOL moments, loved what the baby called himself LOL

8/10

Next week's episode looks epic!

ETA. Wasn't expecting to see Amy & Rory, so it was a nice little surprise, and a lovely little moment in the episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed it. Not the best but humourous, Matt and James were great(did I really compliment Corden?) and the baby was cute with Matt. Cyberman story was easily solved but if Donna can defeat the Daleks by flipping a few switches, I guess love can conquer the Cybermen.

Nice nod to Amy/Rory and of course the last 5 minutes sets up the finale nicely.

Of course there were nitpicks but it was still enjoyable-and I see cybermat toys for Christmas.

7.5/10
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I agree with the two posts above, it wasn't the best episode we've seen this series, but it was good fun. The chemistry between The Doctor and Craig was very entertaining and there were plenty of laughs. It was certainly better than The Next Doctor, I just wish the Cybermen were used more.
  • koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I seem to be in the minority but I didnt like this episode,Im starting to hate all the comedy, when the Doctor last regenerated I didnt realize he`d come back as Tommy Cooper. Having James Corden in it made it even worse. Ive nothing against Matt Smith I think he is a good Doctor, but sometimes he acts a bit too stupid