New Tricks Series 9

Comments

• Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    The gap between series varies. It's generally around a year. This one started 11 months after the last one ended and that one started 9 months after the previous one ended and Series 7 started 12 months after Series 6 ended.

The official DVD to this series is out next Monday anyway, which probably explains why they showed that episode last night so they were all aired before the DVD came out!
    Just to add ... they tend not to let you know when the new series is starting til just before it does.

Might be different this time with Alun and Amanda leaving after or in the next series so there could be things about that, who knows. And indeed, about whether it's gonna carry on without them.

I remember it was not long after the last series was aired, when the news about two new series being commissioned came out that James' departure was announced.

Thank you. :)
    I really, really want to see more and more series of the programme. :)
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I think they covered that by suggesting that Steve is convinced his wife is living in London under an assumed name, and that he's spending his free time searching for her.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that :)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    After last night's show, it became clear that when Sandra and Brian are gone, the series will no longer be on my viewing list.

Why not wait and give it a chance before deciding?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was not expecting much of this back door pilot for a spin off as I cannot imagine New Tricks working after the next series with only one of the original team. But I have to say this worked for me surpringly well. It retained enough of the ethos of New Tricks to suspend judgement and be willing to tune in for more.

Exactly my own take on this episode.

Others already have noted how flat this series has been, but this one was a breath of fresh air. Would also like to note that the MacDougall character worked for me, and if they get a "Brian" replacement for the team it just might work out if the beeb want to move the show to Scotland.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, one of the best of this series, easy to follow plot with a nice twist at the end. A couple of things grated , Gerry's feeble humour about Scotland and also him punching the guy at the end , which didn't really fit it with the rest of the story

It didnt work for me either. The guy didnt look like he could handle himself so it was rather a pointless exercise. If Gerry was bashing someone a bit more fearsome it might have worked better(I think in a previous series he actually hit Alun Armstrong which again just didnt feel right).
    Cant say I have seen all the series of NT and though I do find it watchable and sometimes clever, its too downbeat and humourless for its own good sometimes. I watched a Sweeney tribute recently and there was a suggestion that Gerry would be the cop Carter would have become in later life. The trouble is virtually all the lines Gerry has sound petulant and are accompanied by a scowl -even when they are meant to be funny.
    Had NT had a slightly different style I reckon they could have had some cracking humour/banter with that cast, mixed in with all the gloom of the case files.NT must be the most successful tv series ever never to have made any real noise for itself.
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was pretty good story-wise. Actually quite good! Actually... one of the best plots I've seen anywhere in quite a while.

And, on the one hand, while it was lacking in quality humor (and there is always room for real humor), at least it didn't bring a bunch of piggy behaviour. I was expecting loads of it, I was, because these kinds of cases usually love to take the low, thoughtless opportunity to let our low, thoughtless pig-heroes oink and oink and OINK!...

So a great story. And on the one hand this and on the other hand that...

But! Goddammit, if, finally, they had to kind of ruin it with extremely-unfunny, pure, dumb piggishness right at the end.

I'm afraid that someone, at least someone, steering this show is bound and determined to Glorify The Pigs.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it made a refreshing change to see some decent scenery in NT. This series, they seem to have filmed most of it in a back alley or some gloomy portakabin in London. They used to spend a fair bit of time in glamorous surroundings, IFIRC. Budget? This episode funded by BBC Scotland?
  • mouthalmightymouthalmighty Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bilsheene wrote: »
    I can see why this episode was postponed; girls in care being importuned, powerful persons sbove the law and even someone who was only concerned with his reputation while he was alive (then he defenestrated himself).

That saves me watching the repeat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    My heart sank when I realised it was a Gerry/Steve episode. I really don't like the partnership and prefer Dennis Waterman when he's surrounded by lotsof better, more subtle actors. Safety in numbers. :)

It's not New Tricks any more, and I'm not sure I want to watch a series of Gerry and Steve shows.

I agree about the Glasgow location being refreshing but the Scottish DCI wasn't a Sandra - far too hesitant and minimal personality. Noooooo......... :(
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    After last night's show, it became clear that when Sandra and Brian are gone, the series will no longer be on my viewing list.
    For me, it made for a refreshing change, but I too thought I couldn't watch, without the whole team....but I could, and will in the future.
    saralund wrote: »
    I enjoyed it. Didn't miss Brian and Sandra, sorry.
    Who?....;)
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about backdoor pilots is that do make changes if a spin-off is commissioned so if something didn't quite work, it happened with NCIS Los Angeles where they made two cast changes from the original backdoor pilot.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    311059 wrote: »
    I would like to see this merged with the Taggart team, especially with crabbit DCI Matt Burke. Now that would be fireworks!

DI Robby Ross is looking for a proper job as well
  • auntiemauntiem Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    I thought the storyline was quite good, the Dennis and Steve relationship okay, but the two didnt mix.

Would have much preferred to have seen this played out with the four of them in London. As much as it was nice to see the Scottish scenery, scenery shots fit in better with Heartbeat rather than something a bit more grittier.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    auntiem wrote: »
    I thought the storyline was quite good, the Dennis and Steve relationship okay, but the two didnt mix.

Would have much preferred to have seen this played out with the four of them in London. As much as it was nice to see the Scottish scenery, scenery shots fit in better with Heartbeat rather than something a bit more grittier.

Well if it carries on after next series it definitely won't be in Scotland. Gerry would never move to Scotland to live, for one thing, and as I said, to me they moved it away from London because they wanted to just have us all concentrate on Gerry and Steve for one episode, and not keep wondering why Sandra wasn't appearing in her own affice during the week or why Brian was still absent. (Specially as they were both back the next week, seeing this was the penultimate episode)

If it carries on then some reason must be given for Sandra and Brian's departures (and why Gerry would stay on) then they'll probably use the same office and bring in two more people. And keep Strickland, hopefully.

I agree with the comment about the female cop. Far to meek and mild to be a Sandra clone.

I wouldn't watch it if it was set in Scotland. I'd certainly give it a go with the right 'other two' if they stayed in London.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... I agree with the comment about the female cop. Far to meek and mild to be a Sandra clone. ...

I thought it was played that way to fit in with her troubled background even though that only became apparent later in the programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I've just watched the last two episodes recorded back to back. I'm not sure how the new series will pan out with just Gerry and Steve. The whole entertainment for me was about the team dynamic, so if it's just a cop buddy plot, it's going to feel like a completely different show.

It will be interesting..
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I have enjoyed the addition of Dennis Lawson to the cast. It has created a new dynamic as New Tricks had started to look tired.

There is still one more season with the old team (although Sandra will only be in eight of them) plus Steve.

Gives a little more time for him to become established.

But I look forward to a new team, with new stories. I enjoyed the Scottish episode.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't expect to like Gerry and Steve without the other two but I did - could get used to it.

Think Brian and his wife should have their own series, too!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed that one. It was good to see a different side of Steve and his tenderness towards Charlie. I also liked it that Gerry's prejudices about Scottish cuisine were shown to be just that (yes, junk food is available in Scotland, as elsewhere, but there are other options).

I did find it a little predictable that Steve's friendly Commissioner would turn out to be a wrong un.

And finally, it's always great to see Ralph Riach.
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet again Dennis Waterman's terrible acting and poor delivery of his lines spoiled it for me.
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the episode too. I wouldn't mind if what's left of the team ended up joining forces with UCOS Scotland on the strength of what I've seen so far, but agree that it would be out of character for Gerry to want to move up there. Not just because he's constantly saying he hates the place, but because he seems very close to his girls and family, despite the wreck he's made of his domestic situation.

I know we're not exactly talking the other side of the planet, but I get the impression that the family are pretty much permanently available to each other, whatever their differences have been and I can't see Gerry wanting to lose that. Although I suppose that he might not have many options at his age. Then again, if UCOS UK are such a success that Scotland are emulating them, why would UCOS UK be shut down? I can't see Gerry wanting to leave for any other reason.

I'm also in agreement that the Scottish boss looks like she'd take too much messing with for the result to be anything like the relationship the boys currently share with Sandra. Maybe the Powers That Be are trying to avoid being accused of creating some kind of 'Scottish harridan' stereotype. Or maybe we're imagining the possibility of a Scottish spinoff entirely :)

And 'Yes, please!' with bells on to the idea of a Brian and Esther spinoff. Probably not on the cards now or ever, but there's no harm in asking :)
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...it would be out of character for Gerry to want to move up there. Not just because he's constantly saying he hates the place, but because he seems very close to his girls and family...

Yes.

You mention that you are agreeing with another critique here, but I'm not sure that the most important part you mention is yours or the former...

The "I don't like Scotland" goof is easily overcome and will actually serve as a (pretty tired but tolerable) bit of something to play off of for a while.

The fact that we all know Gerry is absolutely a family man (unconventional as it may all be) is going to be much more difficult for them to properly deal with. He wouldn't go.

But they might just flippantly flub it -- using a shoehorn and a shoulder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Definitely.

Its Gerry and Steve. Maybe Fiona McDougall. I quite like her actually. Maybe Strickland. Possibly someone to replace Bryan of a similarly eccentric disposition.

Glasgow - to replace Tagart? I used to enjoy Taggart. Glasgow or London, or a 'national' UCOS to create more story possibilities?

I'd go for Gerry and Steve with Fiona McDougall, Strickland and a Brian replacement. Maybe they'll get an Irish replacement for Brian? Or Welsh? But imho Irish tend to be more 'eccentric' i.e. humorous... nothing whatever against Welsh. A national UCOS would make sense for a continuing series after AR and AA are gone.

Maybe the stories and the humour will be different. I think we have to accept that possibility.

The old NT is pretty well already gone. May it RIP. The new one has to have time to get started and establish its own ifdentity, get a new team working together etc.

I'll try anything once, so I'm happy to give the new series a go when they start it. I shall watch the last series with AR and AA with enjoyment, and then wish them well.

That's my take.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I can't take to him........... not a good addition to the team.
    Think its time to call it a day now, with James gone and Alun and Amanda leaving.
    Steve and Jerry...... no thanks.
    But thanks New Tricks for a wonderful series 1-8.
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they'll get an Irish replacement for Brian? Or Welsh?

As soon as I read that, I was fully able to visualise DC Jones, from Minder in the role.

Wikipedia describes him thusly... "DC 'Taff' Jones; (Michael Povey), a Welsh policeman. Although, not seeming particularly bright on first sight, Jones often proved sharper (though only mildly) than his superior, and was quietly amused by Arthur's frequent humiliation of Chisholm, even occasionally going into the Winchester for a social drink, away from Chisholm's domination. He tolerated the put-downs of his senior officer with 'Celtic willpower and a morbid fear of unemployment'. "

Sounds like that kinda character, 30 years on, would fit in perfectly!