Can't pay ? We take it away! Query

2»

Comments

• drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't like the way those high court bailiffs are dressed just like the police...if you were to answer the door to them you'd instantly think they were the real police

isn't there a law against Impersonating a police officer????
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    i don't like the way those high court bailiffs are dressed just like the police...if you were to answer the door to them you'd instantly think they were the real police

Buying your body armour kit from the same supplier as the police is a long way away from "impersonating a police officer". They'd need to be wearing badges saying "police" and knocking on the door saying "open up it's the pigs" *. In any case there is no point in impersonating a police officer as the high court writ gives them better powers of entry than the police have.

* Disclaimer: this is a reference to when Neil from the Young Ones joined the police, it isn't intended to be a derogatory comment in any way whatsoever.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »

That's what I've been thinking too.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    That's what I've been thinking too.

And the part of the DPA they are blatantly disregarding?
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which bits of the DPA are they blatantly disregarding?

Often where debts are owned by a business, the baillifs tell the employee that their boss owes money.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weren't there one episode where the bailiff forced himself past the homeowner upon collecting a debt?
    As far as i'm aware bailiffs high court or county court aren't allowed to do that only magistrate bailiffs acting on a arrest warrant can force themselves past a homeowner.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Often where debts are owned by a business, the baillifs tell the employee that their boss owes money.

If it is a limited company then the boss doesn't owe the money the business does and the company is a separate legal entity. Anyway the Data Protection Act only covers individual's personal data not that of a business.

Regardless of the above, once the matter has been to court and has been passed to the High Court Enforcement Agents (in the case of this programme) the debt and judgment are a matter of public record.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member

I don't think you've entirely understood the DPA.