Blunkett - "I'd find it a challenge if Roma gipsies moved into my street"

Comments

• crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Funnily enough the local beat policeman whose remit is to deal daily with street crime and antisocial behaviour also thinks, based on his experience, that they do not deserve the reputation they have in the public's imagination.

I'll ask again. What town do you live in?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    He probably has a complete abhorrence of badly tarmaced drives, and now feels free to rant.

He probably realises that not everybody who complains about traveller/gypsy anti social behaviour, is a lying racist bigot.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    We're talking about what his views are now, not what they were when he was in office. If he has changed his mind - and he has admitted Labour's mistakes - then he is not a hypocrite.

read the links i provided in post 40. then tell us he is not a hypocrite.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Of course you have no way of knowing that - sounds just like lazy stereotyping!

No it sums most of them up - the local papers for Camden and Islington are full of campaigns by local luvvies objecting to this planning application, that affordable housing scheme, that new development and even their neighbours rendering of their walls. Anything to preserve what they have - and prevent others achieving the same.

They spout left wing platitudes at their dinner parties but by their actions they are quite possibly the most selfish, self centred and intolerant people going. Roma moving into their street - what about the impact on our house prices!:D

It's not surprising the majority of Labour's UK wide membership now apparently lives in London - and most of them in places like Camden and Islington. Smug and smugger!
  • DrillerKillerDrillerKiller Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I think it should be a condition of Roma being allowed to move to the UK that they be required to live next door to members of the Guardian readers mailing list. Just watch those luvvies whinge - they just love migrants as long as they don't move into their leafy white middle class conservation area enclaves.:D

I'd much rather live next door to a roma than next to one of the xenophobic alf garnet ukip types on here
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    :confused: Yet again, you have quoted out of context.

Mr Farage was asked to justify claims made earlier this year that he feels “uncomfortable” and “awkward” on trains where nobody speaks English and parts of Britain are now “a foreign land”.

He said in February: "I got the train the other night, it was rush hour, from Charing Cross. "It was a stopper going out and we stopped at London Bridge, New Cross, Hither Green, it was not til we got past Grove Park that I could hear English being audibly spoken in the carriage. Does that make me feel slightly awkward? Yes it does."

Awww the little lamb. Bless his poor little racist cotton socks.
    Forum Member
    I'd much rather live next door to a roma than next to one of the xenophobic alf garnet ukip types on here

Well good for you.

Next time a property comes up for rent or sale next to you feel free to advertise it widely to the Roma community. I would be quite happy to chip in to pay their housing benefit.
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Well good for you.

Next time a property comes up for rent or sale next to you feel free to advertise it widely to the Roma community. I would be quite happy to chip in to pay their housing benefit.

I'd happily do that,, but then I'm not a racist. Don't think you could say the same. You fit right in with ukip. And it seems would blunket.
    Forum Member
    Why don't you for once comment on the actual story rather than attack members and turn the thread into a bizarre slanging match.

Blunkett said what he said - now tell us how that makes you feel. :)

Jjwales sits pontificating in Wales - so attractive a place economically that even many of Welsh can't wait to leave it.

Reminds me of those Lib Dem MPs who represent seats which are 99.5 per cent white British in places like Cumbria and the Highlands who go on the telly and tell is how wonderful mass uncontrolled immigration is - in full knowledge that there is little or no impact on where they live or on their constituents. Out of sight and out of mind - and just a little hypocritical.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Awww the little lamb. Bless his poor little racist cotton socks.

Bless. We used to say stuff like that at school, many years ago.
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why is it a choice between half a million a year or zero?

Why does permanent settlement have to be 152,949 in 2013? Why not cap it much lower? That would not prevent immigration for study or work.

well, until the UK leaves the EU, the point is moot anyway as there is nothing we can do regarding this, but personally my vote would be to limit all EU immigration on the same grounds that we have had to limit all non-EU immigration.

a more reasonable bar should be set as having caps dependent upon the relation of the immigrant's economy to the UK economy - countries like the US, Canada, NZ/Australia, Germany and India, along with eastern countries like China/Japan would be far higher on the list than many EU nations, due to the state of their economies under the Euro

likewise, new African immigration would be managed in a similar way, as African economies grow, then their caps would be increased to allow more immigrants from those nations

the point of capping immigration is meant to ensure that the UK doesn't become burdened by too many people fleeing from poorer economies into the UK, but we obviously don't want to prevent or deny immigration from countries where we have a healthy relationship, and are trying to increase and grow both business and social relationships - likewise where it is in our interest for cheap seasonal labour (i.e. farm labour) then we could increase those caps on a relative basis to allow for that seasonal work to continue unhindered, with the expectation that those people return home until next year

alternatively..... and this is where I think the UK has a significant lack of support for our own people - why are we not using some of our EU contribution money to house and train the vast majority of the homeless population and help them back into a position where they can be of benefit to society?

we spend millions each day on EU membership - how much of that money could be spent better within the UK on helping to provide socially supported food and accommodation for homeless people (especially young homeless!) and once they are healthier, provide them with access to seasonal work such as farming so they have an opportunity to earn some money for themselves, whilst providing a valuable resource to UK farming?

or will the UK continue to ignore the homeless population as we always have... after all, they would just be a waste of money right???
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2889177/David-Blunkett-admits-challenge-Roma-gipsies-moved-street.html

I guess the UKIP watch link posters missed this one..

So now people can't vote for UKIP saying that they would be concerned with Romanians living next door and now Labour saying the same thing about Roma people. There won't be many options left at this rate.

I guess as he's retiring soon, it's OK to say things like this now.

:D
    When did Blunkett become the official spokesman for the entire labour party then? I think I must have missed that announcement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did Blunkett become the official spokesman for the entire labour party then? I think I must have missed that announcement.

Same goes for UKIP. A racist doesn't make the party racist!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    He is just worried they would eat his guide dog

Unbelievable, there really is no depth too low for you is there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

Because it's a tongue in cheek reference which is no different to many posters here who present it as UKIP being a Borg hive mind when one of their candidates does something out of turn.

Is that it then? No comment on the ex-home secretary admitting that Labour had made fundamental mistakes with immigration?
    Unbelievable, there really is no depth too low for you is there?

Is not having a sense of humour a left wing trait, as it seems there is plenty of this here. What if someone said that some white British chavs wanted to eat his dog? Where would that fit in with your moral compass?
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2889177/David-Blunkett-admits-challenge-Roma-gipsies-moved-street.html

I guess the UKIP watch link posters missed this one..

So now people can't vote for UKIP saying that they would be concerned with Romanians living next door and now Labour saying the same thing about Roma people. There won't be many options left at this rate.

I guess as he's retiring soon, it's OK to say things like this now.

:D

I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

If you are saying that Labour is no example of groupthink then you are right.

There are many examples of views expressed by Labour party members which I oppose. I detest Kate Hoey's views on fox hunting. I find some views expressed by Simon Danczuk (and his pride in being photographed with the Gauleiter-in-chief) borderline.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    although this link is nothing to do with blunkett, i just had to post it, purely for the "you couldn't make it up" headline.:D:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2889891/Not-yard-say-gipsies-travellers-complain-arrival-new-caravans-site.html

Gipsies object to council plans to expand traveller site with 11 caravans.
    Plans to increase size of Cae Garw gipsy and traveller site in South Wales.
    Travellers starting 'not in our back yard' petition to put stop to expansion.

these racists get everywhere these days - the dastards.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Same goes for UKIP. A racist doesn't make the party racist!

Please feel free to find a post by me in which I have ever stated such a thing to be true,
    The only time I hear this is when Ukip supporters or defenders are accusing people of accusing all of them of being racists,

I have never said such a thing nor have I ever seen a post in which anyone has said such a thing.

In fact, I usually go out of my way to say that I don't believe every member of Ukip, or everyone who votes for them are racists,

But I also often point out that when the leader of the party openly boasts that his party has managed to attract over a third of the BNP vote,
    and when the leadership of the EDL openly encourages their supporters to vote Ukip because "they say what we say but in a different way" then I think that saying that not everyone, or even the majority of people who belongs to, or who votes for Ukip are racists,
    BUT, it IS true that a hell of a lot of racists DO vote for Ukip, and that is a proven fact. even Farage admits and boasts about stealing a huge chunk of the BNP vote.

Certainly the very LAST thing I would expect Labour, or even the Tories to do would be to boast about attracting over a third of the BNP vote, as I should think most people who are either supporters or members of any party that was so obviously attractive to the BNP voter and EDL supporter, would at the very least question what it is about 'my' party that so many BNP/EDL types find so attractive. I know I would be very concerned indeed if such a large number of BNP voters swapped over to Labour, and or the Labour party was endorsed by the EDL.

A position that I am certain most rational people can understand?
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, it was a cheap shot though.

We're talking about what his views are now, not what they were when he was in office. If he has changed his mind - and he has admitted Labour's mistakes - then he is not a hypocrite.

Politicians are or should be there to get it right when they're in office, not to get it right when they recognise their own stupidity in the hope that it relieves them from blame. There were plenty of people with a greater wisdom and knowledge telling them what the outcome would be.....and still they're doing nothing worthwhile about it.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    He probably realises that not everybody who complains about traveller/gypsy anti social behaviour, is a lying racist bigot.

As we both know. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Ive actually lived next door to Slovak Roma. They were perfectly fine neighbours. Invariably polite and considerate. The husband had two jobs. I walk past groups of Roma every day where I live. Never have I felt intimidated by their behaviour, let alone been threatened.

Sorry to puncture people's negative prejudicial stereotypes.

The lazy uninformed opinion of what 'they are all like' is the 21st century equivalent of 1950s / 60s no 'No blacks, no Irish, no dogs'.

If Blunkett had spoken about blacks or asians that way .........

And I've lived in close proximity to find precisely the opposite to you. Perhaps you should seek the wisdom of non-Roma Romanians, ask them for an opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'd know soon enough about your preferred choice.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    I'll ask again. What town do you live in?

Unless there is a compelling reason I don't give out personal information. What is relevant is that I've lived there for the last 7 years or so and that it has a significant Roma population.

On that basis I know how much uninformed demonisation based on tabloid exaggeration and scaremongering takes place, as compared the realities of everyday life here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please feel free to find a post by me in which I have ever stated such a thing to be true,
    The only time I hear this is when Ukip supporters or defenders are accusing people of accusing all of them of being racists,

I have never said such a thing nor have I ever seen a post in which anyone has said such a thing.

In fact, I usually go out of my way to say that I don't believe every member of Ukip, or everyone who votes for them are racists,

But I also often point out that when the leader of the party openly boasts that his party has managed to attract over a third of the BNP vote,
    and when the leadership of the EDL openly encourages their supporters to vote Ukip because "they say what we say but in a different way" then I think that saying that not everyone, or even the majority of people who belongs to, or who votes for Ukip are racists,
    BUT, it IS true that a hell of a lot of racists DO vote for Ukip, and that is a proven fact. even Farage admits and boasts about stealing a huge chunk of the BNP vote.

Certainly the very LAST thing I would expect Labour, or even the Tories to do would be to boast about attracting over a third of the BNP vote, as I should think most people who are either supporters or members of any party that was so obviously attractive to the BNP voter and EDL supporter, would at the very least question what it is about 'my' party that so many BNP/EDL types find so attractive. I know I would be very concerned indeed if such a large number of BNP voters swapped over to Labour, and or the Labour party was endorsed by the EDL.

A position that I am certain most rational people can understand?

Frankly I don't care if racists vote UKIP. They have immigration policies I like. Let's have every BNP supporter, it still doesn't make the party racist! Controlled immigration and UKIP'S polices are not Racist!