Options

Atlantis - Series 2 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Jack Donnelly (Jason), Mark Addy (Hercules) and Robert Emms (Pythagoras) have returned to Chepstow to begin filming for the highly anticipated second series of family fantasy drama Atlantis.

The ambitious 13-part series launched on BBC One last autumn with an opening episode that pulled in a Live +7 audience of 8.4 million viewers, making Atlantis the biggest new Saturday night drama series launch across all channels since Robin Hood in 2006.

Fans were rocked by the shocking reveal at the end of the first series that Paisphae, played by Sarah Parish, was in fact Jason's mother. Parish, who also features in series two, is currently filming scenes that involve a dramatic shift of power in the kingdom. Pasiphae's desire to reign has not abated and rivalry with step daughter Ariadne (Aiysha Hart) takes her to new depths. Jason's personal involvement with Ariadne is surely a complication for Pasiphae, but will the knowledge that Jason is her flesh and blood weaken her resolve?

Also returning to the drama are Aiysha Hart (Ariadne) and Juliet Stevenson (The Oracle) as well new additions Vincent Regan as Dion and Amy Manson as Medea. Guest appearances are to be made by Robert Pugh (Game Of Thrones, The White Queen) and Peter de Jersey (Broadchurch, Holby City) in episode one.

Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy, Co-creators, said: “It’s wonderful to have everyone back in the studio together as we prepare to take Atlantis to new places in series two. We have some exciting new additions joining our exceptional cast and some surprises up our sleeve that we can’t wait to unleash on the Atlantis audience later this year.”

Bethan Jones, BBC Executive Producer, added: “It was a delight to see so many of the BBC One audience take Atlantis to its heart and we are thrilled to be returning with more adventures this year. The vision is as ambitious as ever and, building on the amazing sets in the Chepstow studios, the series will continue to deliver a visual treat for viewers along with a deeper insight to the characters that drive the drama.”

Atlantis was re-commissioned by Charlotte Moore, Controller of BBC One and Ben Stephenson Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning, and is created by Urban Myth Films for BBC One through BBC Cymru Wales.

Atlantis is written by Howard Overman and executive produced by Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy for Urban Myth Films with Bethan Jones as executive producer for BBC.

Airs November 15th.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SHpOy2DhNg

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a disasterous first season, i am looking forward to season 2 because the concept and the characters intrigued me. Plus from what i have read, they pretty much seen where they went wrong and have gone into a different direction. But the fact it has been said that standalone stories have been dropped and it is primarily a serialized show, also doesn't sit well with me either.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they actually going to address the fact that Jason dropped in from the future? It was a real peeve of mine last season and may as well not have even existed.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    **It doesn't 'air' (unless it's capable of farting). The first episode will be broadcast on the 15th November.**

I'm looking forward; the last series was great fun on here as we gawped at the appalling script and wooden acting. I hope it lives up to expectations :D

Interesting trailer; does Pythee get a boyfriend in this series, seeing as a guy was going in for a kiss with him in that scene.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they actually going to address the fact that Jason dropped in from the future? It was a real peeve of mine last season and may as well not have even existed.

Yeah Jason did seem to totally forget that and the fact that he was supposed to be finding his father.:D
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    In the trailer, it does seem like the father plot isn't being totally dropped and Pasiphae also screamed 'I am your mother' in a style not out of place in EastEnders, lol.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    **It doesn't 'air' (unless it's capable of farting). The first episode will be broadcast on the 15th November.**

I'm looking forward; the last series was great fun on here as we gawped at the appalling script and wooden acting. I hope it lives up to expectations :D

Interesting trailer; does Pythee get a boyfriend in this series, seeing as a guy was going in for a kiss with him in that scene.
    I hope he's not a boyfriend - that's ICARUS :(:(:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Jack Donnelly (Jason), Mark Addy (Hercules) and Robert Emms (Pythagoras) have returned to Chepstow to begin filming for the totally unanticipated second series of family fantasy school play, Atlantis.

The cobbled together 13-part series launched on BBC One last autumn with an opening episode that pulled in a Live +7 audience of 8.4 million viewers, making Atlantis the biggest new Saturday night drama series launch across all channels since Robin Hood in 2006 until almost half the audience turned off in boredom.

Fans were woken up by the cliched reveal at the end of the first series that Paisphae, played by Sarah Parish, was in fact Jason's mother. Parish, who also features in series two as she just wants a pay cheque, is currently filming scenes that involve a dramatic shift of power in the kingdom as Alexanda Siddig had no intention of soiling his CV further. Pasiphae's desire to reign has not abated and rivalry with step daughter Ariadne (Aiysha "emotionless" Hart) takes her to new depths. Jason's personal involvement with Ariadne is surely a complication for Pasiphae, but will the knowledge that Jason is her flesh and blood weaken her resolve?

Also returning to the drama are Aiysha Hart (Ariadne) (Ed: Eh? You've already mentioned that!) and Juliet Stevenson (The Oracle) as well new additions Vincent Regan as Dion and Amy Manson as Medea. Guest appearances are to be made by Robert Pugh (Game Of Thrones, The White Queen) and Peter de Jersey (Broadchurch, Holby City) in episode one.

Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy, Talentless Hacks for hire, said: “It’s wonderful to have everyone back in the studio together as we prepare to take Atlantis to the same old places in series two such as woods in Wales.... again. We have some less wooden new additions joining our wooden cast and some hoary old ideas up our sleeve that we have recycled from our other great hits 'Merlin' and ummmm..... 'Demons' on what's left of the Atlantis audience later this year.”

Bethan Jones, BBC Executive Producer, added: “It was a relief to see some of the BBC One audience watch Atlantis and we are contractually obliged to be returning with more adventures this year. The vision is as awful as ever and, building on the cheap looking sets in the Chepstow studios, the series will continue to deliver mediocrity for viewers along with very little insight to the characters that drive the drama.”

Atlantis was re-commissioned by Charlotte Moore, Controller of BBC One and Ben Stephenson Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning, and is created by Urban Myth Films for BBC One through BBC Cymru Wales. Their trial for crimes against entertainment starts in the Spring.

Atlantis is written by an infinite number of monkeys and executive produced by the undynamic duo for Urban Myth Films with Bethan Jones forced at gun-point to be executive producer for BBC.

There.... fixed that for them.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    **It doesn't 'air' (unless it's capable of farting).
    It is technically accurate. DTT and Satellite still broadcast through the air. Which is also why radio stations are always "on air" :)
    If you're going to do that again will you please keep it to a separate thread. Thanks.
    Oh you're so funny. Except, of course, not really :( Just kinda pathetic. We get it! You don't like the show. Here's an idea. Don't waste your time watching something you don't like and, instead, watch something you do like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [delete]
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If S2 performs better than S1 - better viewing figures, better critic reviews ( which so far, appears to be the case ) - the haters will be banging on about nothing.

These people will also be classed as trolls by the moderators because they have no intention of actually watching the show to see if they enjoy it, they just want to wind up fans of the show. I do think that once a show has settled down and gained a fan base - people who enjoy the show despite its faults - those who go on the thread just to cause annoyance to those fans should / could be given warnings - the warning button is there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From what I've seen in the trailers and read from the reviews and stuff, it does seem like they're aware that the first series wasn't great and are making the effort to make the second series a better viewing experience.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PMSL :D Spot on:D
    towers wrote: »
    If S2 performs better than S1 - better viewing figures, better critic reviews ( which so far, appears to be the case ) - the haters will be banging on about nothing.

These people will also be classed as trolls by the moderators because they have no intention of actually watching the show to see if they enjoy it, they just want to wind up fans of the show. I do think that once a show has settled down and gained a fan base - people who enjoy the show despite its faults - those who go on the thread just to cause annoyance to those fans should / could be given warnings - the warning button is there.

there are some programs I have 'hate watched' such as Falling Skies and the first season of Revolution. A tiny numbers of us on DS then came together to laugh at the utter awfulness of the programs and a good time was had by all. Except the fans who actually liked it & couldn't understand others might have a vastly different opinion.

At no point were we ever trolls. We watched and posted to amuse ouselves, not to annoy 'fans'

Sadly, while others were able to 'hate watch' Atlantis, I found it so f'cking awful that I couldn't even do that. It wasn't just terrible, it was dull and terrible.
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    From what I've seen in the trailers and read from the reviews and stuff, it does seem like they're aware that the first series wasn't great and are making the effort to make the second series a better viewing experience.

The trailer doesn't fill me with much hope to be honest. The reviews & interviews seem to be trying to big it up and I'm glad there has been some acknowledgement that season one had 'issues' but I'm not optimistic.

I may give it one episode - problem being I only watched 4 episodes of the first season so, although I kept up with the thread, I've probably missed too much to jump back in.

Watching the rest of season 1 is not an option *shudders*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »

I wish. Unfortunately, I had to stop using last seasons thread because of these "trolls" and nothing was done about them >:(
    there are some programs I have 'hate watched'...
    But why? Have you really got that much time to waste? Wouldn't you rather spend time watching something you like?
    A tiny numbers of us on DS then came together to laugh at the utter awfulness of the programs and a good time was had by all. Except the fans who actually liked it & couldn't understand others might have a vastly different opinion.
    No. The problem was you were over-whelming the official thread so no-one, who actually wanted to could properly discuss the show.

Also, re BIB, you were the ones who were the ones who couldn't understand why everyone didn't agree with you that it was awful.

(And that's a general "you" not a specific one. ie those who hated it.)
    At no point were we ever trolls. We watched and posted to amuse ouselves, not to annoy 'fans'.
    These forums and threads are not here for your "amusement".
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This program returning is some of the worst news I have received this year.

'Outcasts' was 30 times better than this and never got a second series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

These forums and threads are not here for your "amusement".

Then why are they here ?:D

For amusement, entertainment, lively debate, having a laugh.

It is an entertainment site after all.

Sorry - snipped too much of your post. Yes I do have time on my hands. And I enjoy 'hate watching' sometimes - depends how awful the TV show is but sometimes it is like watching an unintentional comedy:D

I am genuinely sorry your enjoyment of the thread was affected by us - and I include myself in that as I was very scathing of the first few episodes until I gave up. But we also want to voice our opinions and to share our thoughts and disappointment. But I can see how it might not work for a show as polorising as Atlantis especially if you are part of a minority on DS that likes it, In previous years I have felt a bit that way in the Dr Who threads or the Downton thread when I have had a negative opinion and have been in the minority a rounded on :( Got to say, the Downton thread has become a massively friendlier place though. And the Dr Who threads more balanced. Perhaps the Atlantis thread will too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Outcasts' was 30 times better than this and never got a second series.

I liked Outcasts:blush:

Genuinely.:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then why are they here ?:D

For amusement, entertainment, lively debate, having a laugh.

It is an entertainment site after all.

Sorry - snipped too much of your post. Yes I do have time on my hands. And I enjoy 'hate watching' sometimes - depends how awful the TV show is but sometimes it is like watching an unintentional comedy:D

I am genuinely sorry your enjoyment of the thread was affected by us - and I include myself in that as I was very scathing of the first few episodes until I gave up. But we also want to voice our opinions and to share our thoughts and disappointment. But I can see how it might not work for a show as polorising as Atlantis especially if you are part of a minority on DS that likes it, In previous years I have felt a bit that way in the Dr Who threads or the Downton thread when I have had a negative opinion and have been in the minority a rounded on :( Got to say, the Downton thread has become a massively friendlier place though. And the Dr Who threads more balanced. Perhaps the Atlantis thread will too.

If you understand what it's like to have a minority viewpoint and be rounded on, why do it to fans of Atlantis?

I understand what you mean about the Doctor Who thread. I'm a casual viewer of the show rather than a fan and it does seem that you can't criticise the show without the fans attacking your opinion and saying that the show is just wonderful and almost faultless. But when genuine fans of Atlantis want to discuss it with other fans, the haters immediately belittle the show and sometimes the fans themselves. I know Digitalspy isn't a fan forum - where haters can be thrown out by the moderators straight away because they're not actual fans - but it's also not a school playground, it's a discussion forum. I've stated my issues about Downton Abbey - too many storylines getting too little screentime - but I don't wind up fans who love the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And yet you took the time to come into a thread about the show and post about it.

I'd've just ignore the news myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am genuinely sorry your enjoyment of the thread was affected by us - and I include myself in that as I was very scathing of the first few episodes until I gave up.
    No problem.
    But we also want to voice our opinions and to share our thoughts and disappointment.
    We are all allowed our opinions and I respect your right to post them :) But perhaps there could be two threads this time; one for those who want to discuss the show and one for the "hate-watchers".
    But I can see how it might not work for a show as polorising as Atlantis especially if you are part of a minority on DS that likes it,
    There you go again. How do you know we're the minority? Perhaps you lot are just louder and pushing other people (like me) out of the thread? :D

And I don't post in the DW forum for the very same reasons :p
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem.

We are all allowed our opinions and I respect your right to post them :) But perhaps there could be two threads this time; one for those who want to discuss the show and one for the "hate-watchers".

There you go again. How do you know we're the minority? Perhaps you lot are just louder and pushing other people (like me) out of the thread? :D

Maybe we should have a poll to fins out how many people actually like it.
    Pretty certain it iwll be a minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem.

Two threads wouldn't be a bad idea.:)

My minority comment was specifically about the thread - though I didn't make that clear. I think the 'likers' who posted on that thread were outnumbered about 10 to 1. Which must have seemed like ganging up if everyone who 'hate watched' had their say to each positive comment. For my part, I try not to reply to a post if it already has had a lot of opposing replies for that reason.

Unless I've got something really funny to say. Well, funny in my own head:blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A review of the first episode of Atlantis 2

( spoilers ahead, though nothing major )
    I have to admit that although I wasn’t the biggest fan of Season 1 there were factors that I did appreciate. Sarah Parish is a terrific villain, Jemima Rooper is always a joy to watch, and when the three leads did finally start to grow as characters towards the end of the run I found myself caring more for the stories overall too. On the other hand there were too many fart jokes, name calling/making fun of friends, non-logical or frothy plots which would reset character progression at the start of each episode, and some less than spectacular performances at times too http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/11/atlantis-new-dawn-part-1-advance.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting review there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Especially as it hasn't even aired yet :o:p Special screening I assume? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Especially as it hasn't even aired yet :o:p Special screening I assume? :)

TV critics ( including Radio Times etc ) saw it a week ago or more..

Doh....