occyoccy Posts: 65,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8 up from 24 - The Harder I try - Brother Beyond
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony cutting off a lot of the ends. Packing in 1988. I thought Heart only does that:D I guess that's only for time reasons.

7 up from 8 - Find My Love - Fairground Attraction
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of talking about funky worms Tony, but couldn't we have had The Funky Worm played instead of the dreadful Glenn Medeiros, which was cut quite short anyway.

Surprised he didn't mention the well known TOTP tale about All About Eve not miming to their record live on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6 up 11 places from 17 - Hands To Heaven - Breathe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim Wilde certainly had a second wind of hits in the later 80's and 1988 proved surprisingly successful for her. Loved the follow up to You Came, called Never Trust A Stranger which reminded me more of her early chart output.
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone happen to know if Tony blackburn has ever missed a show and had to be replaced? I can't recall it if he has
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could have played Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana that went down from 16 to 27

Iron Maiden were up from 5 to 6 with The Evil That Men Do probably not Radio 2 style.

Van Halen - When It's Love was up 10 places from 38 to 28.

Status Quo had a new entry at 30 with Running All Over the world.

Kim Wilde - You Came went down one which Tony played from 3 to 4

B.V.S.M.P - I need you up from 4 to 3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B.V.S.M.P yuck!

What do the letters stand for?

Baby Virgo Shocking Mr P.

Yeah right. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone happen to know if Tony blackburn has ever missed a show and had to be replaced? I can't recall it if he has

When he was unwell some time ago they were pre-records and when he's on holiday he pre-records. So guess there is some backups?

Kylie stayed at Number 2 with Loco-motion

Number One Yazz and The plastic Population The Only Way Is Up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The previous No1, Glenn Medeiros, jumped 11 to 1, this one by Yazz jumped 10 to 1 and the next No1 by Phil Collins jumped 9 to 1.

Nice symmetry and highly unusual for three consecutive to do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1967 and 1990 next week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    1967 and 1990 next week

Cliff Richard was rising up both charts next week in those years, just outside the top twenty in 1967 with The Day I Met Marie, but in 1990 he rose up into the top ten with Silhouettes. There's no avoiding Sir Cliff! :cool:
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1973 was the first year for which I can remember the 6 week summer school holiday. This is simply because I can remember playing outside one day and coming back home when the news was on and the main headline was a fire that had swept throught a leisure centre in Douglas on the Isle Of Man.

I've just checked and it happened on 2 August 1973, so three weeks before the chart that was featured today. Fifty people were killed and eight seriously injured

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summerland_disaster

My two main memories of summer 1988 are both, in their way, alcohol and pub related! On 22 August 1988 all day drinking arrived in England and Wales. Prior to this, pubs were only allowed to open between the hours of 11am to 3pm and 5.30pm to 10.30pm or 11pm (depending on where you lived). On a Sunday pubs still had to close on an afternoon but opening hours were extended from 12pm to 2pm to 12pm and 3pm. On a Sunday evening pubs still could only open from 7pm to 10.30pm. All day drinking on a Sunday was introduced from 6 August 1995. Anyway, back to 1988 and the very first day of all day drinking we had a walkout at the office I worked in - and everyone who walked out - which happened co-incidentally at 11am! - went straight to the pub. Where we stayed all day, some of us until closing time (and another change in 1988 was "drinking up time" extending from 10 to 20 minutes). The next day there were a number of staff who mysteriously phoned in sick! Not me though even though I was the worse for wear...

My other memory of summer 1988 was from a month earlier. Saturday 16 July 1988 to be exact. The day Michael Jackson played Wembley Stadium. I was living in Wembley at the time, just around the corner from the stadium. On the evening me and my then girlfriend went out for a drink in Wembley - it was utter chaos! And one of the pubs near to the stadium, The Greyhound (now closed I believe), was full of road crew from Michael Jackson's entourage who were having a drink while the concert was on. And all the women in the pub were throwing themselves at the road crew who I assume must have been using the chat line "do you want to meet Michael Jackson?" Whatever was said it worked and various members of the crew kept disappearing with women who were drinking in the pub... I felt sorry for the local men who couldn't get a look in that night!
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Kim Wilde certainly had a second wind of hits in the later 80's and 1988 proved surprisingly successful for her. Loved the follow up to You Came, called Never Trust A Stranger which reminded me more of her early chart output.

Certainly helped by her being Michael Jackson's support act for his UK Bad tour in '88
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you about Kim's late 80s hits.

Four Letter Word, Hey Mr Heartache and Say You Really Want Me are all great songs from her in 1988-89 time :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cliff Richard was rising up both charts next week in those years, just outside the top twenty in 1967 with The Day I Met Marie, but in 1990 he rose up into the top ten with Silhouettes. There's no avoiding Sir Cliff! :cool:

Well that song Silhouettes I'm sure would not be played as it's a lesser-known song any way!! If Richard gets played next week, it'll be Marie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B.V.S.M.P yuck!

What do the letters stand for?

Baby Virgo Shocking Mr P.

Yeah right. :blush:

Out of this great 1988 chart, this song was by far the worst. I don't think I liked it much then, now it just sounds silly!

I'd rather this been missed out for say Salt n Pepa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Well that song Silhouettes I'm sure would not be played as it's a lesser-known song any way!! If Richard gets played next week, it'll be Marie

Just checked out Silhouettes on YouTube. I really can say I'd never heard this song before. I don't think it could have got much airplay in 1990 that's for sure. It sounds like it's out of the 1950s and is much, much different that the SAW hits he was singing in 1989! I won't be sorry if this song gets missed out!
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree about that BVSMP track, though I'll be commenting at a later date on the 1988
    chart in full. Some brilliant songs in the 1973 chart too - shame that Peters and Lee and Al Martino were skipped. Loved the Carpenters, Barry Blue, Drifters, Bobby Goldsboro and Barry Blue
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked out Silhouettes on YouTube. I really can say I'd never heard this song before. I don't think it could have got much airplay in 1990 that's for sure. It sounds like it's out of the 1950s and is much, much different that the SAW hits he was singing in 1989! I won't be sorry if this song gets missed out!
    It was a cover of a 1950s song (written by Bob Crewe) which had been a number 3 hit for Herman's Hermits in 1965. Cliff's version is a concert recording from his 1990 album 'From A Distance: The Event' which was a distillation of two concerts he played at Wembley Stadium in June 1989 which celebrated the 30th anniversary of his recording career - though that should actually have been the previous year as his first hit was in September 1958.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    It was a cover of a 1950s song (written by Bob Crewe) which had been a number 3 hit for Herman's Hermits in 1965. Cliff's version is a concert recording from his 1990 album 'From A Distance: The Event' which was a distillation of two concerts he played at Wembley Stadium in June 1989 which celebrated the 30th anniversary of his recording career - though that should actually have been the previous year as his first hit was in September 1958.

Ah right, thanks for the explanation!

After the brilliant singles 'I just don't have the heart' and 'Stronger than that', it just seemed a very strange kind of song to be putting out in 1990! :)

I don't think 1990 got going for Cliff in the charts until December though, did it?
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member

Out of interest the song is currently play listed on Radio 2 by UB40's Ali Campbell as it's his current song so Radio 2 listeners will be familiar with it.
  • Options
    Ian 57Ian 57 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Tony cutting off a lot of the ends. Packing in 1988. I thought Heart only does that:D I guess that's only for time reasons.

7 up from 8 - Find My Love - Fairground Attraction

It didn't help by the traffic news being another minute or so longer than usual, wish it didn't have to be in the middle of this show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Out of interest the song is currently play listed on Radio 2 by UB40's Ali Campbell as it's his current song so Radio 2 listeners will be familiar with it.

Well I only dip into Radio 2 during the week but even so I'd turn off Ali Campbell singing this as fast as Cliff Richard!

Cliff made #10 with his version incidentally