Options

No mention of heaven but a church funeral no doubt

rendarenda Posts: 598
Forum Member
✭✭
Marlon made no mention of 'heaven' to April when trying to explain what had happened to Donna but it's a sure bet the funeral will be held in the church.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Lots of people don't believe in heaven/god/religion but still have funerals in churches to follow tradition.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Where do you want a funeral for someone who doesn't believe to be held exactly?
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Perhaps he should have said to April "But mummy was a bad person so she'll go to hell where she will burn in flames for all eternity and the same will happen to you if you don't do your schoolwork".
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »

At home like in America perhaps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Perhaps he should have said to April "But mummy was a bad person so she'll go to hell where she will burn in flames for all eternity and the same will happen to you if you don't do your schoolwork".

I’d agree with that Mo, honesty is usually the best policy I find.

He should have described Donna’s death to April in great detail, and reminded her what a watermelon looks like when you smash it onto the floor.
    An actual demonstration would have been rather handy.

That’s what mummy looks like now, he should have said.
    Then he should have had her draw a picture of it for Bob, after handing her a fresh box of red crayons.

He should also tell Ashley and Vicar-of-Dibley that he wants Donna’s gravestone to accurately reflect her life, namely with the following inscription … “Here lies a thief, a liar, an adulteress, a murderer, and a bent copper.”

It’s for the best when all’s said and done mate.
  • Options
    Clare D13Clare D13 Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Marlon made no mention of 'heaven' to April when trying to explain what had happened to Donna but it's a sure bet the funeral will be held in the church.

And your point is? :confused:
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He should also tell Ashley and Vicar-of-Dibley that he wants Donna’s gravestone to accurately reflect her life, namely with the following inscription … “Here lies a thief, a liar, an adulteress, a murderer, and a bent copper.”

A fair and considered summation of selfish Donna, UQ.

It's difficult to know how the kids at school will react when April does her show and tell after the summer holidays. On the one hand no one likes a coppers kid, but on the other hand she's got murderous genes so maybe they won't trouble her too much.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He should have described Donna’s death to April in great detail, and reminded her what a watermelon looks like when you smash it onto the floor.

Then he should have had her draw a picture of it for Bob, after handing her a fresh box of red crayons.

OMG Unc! You often make me blush for one reason or another, but never before at such utterly shameless, callous crassness as this! :blush:

Soon as I stop giggling, you can expect a serious talking to. >:( (:D)
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is incredibly hypocritical that people get married in churches and have funerals and burials in churches if they don't believe in God. There should be another set up for funerals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is incredibly hypocritical that people get married in churches and have funerals and burials in churches if they don't believe in God. There should be another set up for funerals.

That's true enough.

The last time I was in a church was when I fell through the ruddy roof of one, after climbing up there to pinch the lead.
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its just as hypocritical for Churches to allow non-worshippers have their marriages, funerals/burials in their buildings purely for financial reasons.

Ultimately, if everyone's happy, what's the problem?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The local Crem caters for everyone.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member

Kids tend to respect honesty, UQ. It's the only way.
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would not put the above past Moron. Mr oh so holier than thou.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought you had to be baptised to be able to have a church burial and be buried in church grounds. maybe times have changed.
    It is also why babies often get baptised in hosp if there is a chance they will die as they would not be allowed to be buried if they weren't.

always what. i was let to believe i may be wrong

as someone else said theres always the local crem.

I'm reading up on it you don't have to if you get buried in a normal cemetry but u cant be buried in church grounds without being baptised.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

You can have humanitarian (so no religion at all) services in a crematorium (went to one a couple of years ago) and I assume there is some way to allow them to be buried rather than cremated but of course that is likely to be in a church yard.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wow, well that certainly is cruel to be kind. It might stop her constantly asking to be taken to her though!

All joking aside, they explained it to April really badly - all that "gone to fight bad peopke in the sky" business. No wonder the poor little mite doesn't understand why she can't go up to the sky too or Mummy doesn't just come back after finishing fighting the bad guys like she did when she went to work each day.

Maybe they could take her to the vets to see an animal put to sleep and then just explain Mummy's gone to sleep the same way? Or is that cruel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I thought you had to be baptised to be able to have a church burial and be buried in church grounds. maybe times have changed.
    It is also why babies often get baptised in hosp if there is a chance they will die as they would not be allowed to be buried if they weren't.

always what. i was let to believe i may be wrong

as someone else said theres always the local crem.

I'm reading up on it you don't have to if you get buried in a normal cemetry but u cant be buried in church grounds without being baptised.

TechnicalLy speaking you are right (also that you should reside in the Parish, be a regular church goer, in the case of funerals not have committed suicide) but I think most churches have slackened the rules a lot partly just to be kind but more because they need the money and to make weddings in particular more attractive in this competitive market of civil ceremonies at hotels etc.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Wow, well that certainly is cruel to be kind. It might stop her constantly asking to be taken to her though!

All joking aside, they explained it to April really badly - all that "gone to fight bad peopke in the sky" business. No wonder the poor little mite doesn't understand why she can't go up to the sky too or Mummy doesn't just come back after finishing fighting the bad guys like she did when she went to work each day.

Maybe they could take her to the vets to see an animal put to sleep and then just explain Mummy's gone to sleep the same way? Or is that cruel?

It would certainly be cruel if the animal was fit and well.:o
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll sort R April out good and proper. I haven't had kids yet but I know how to deal with them as I used to be one.

1) Tell her we're going to see what mummy did, like a day out. She can dress up like a police officer if she wants.
    2) Spend the morning painting two hard boiled eggs, one with all pretty brunette hair and nice eyes, very shapely, a rather pert rear... :blush: >:( That one is mine. She can do one with straggly hair and a predator grin on it or something.
    3) Tell April to tape 'em together for authenticity.
    4) After a nice bit of stilton and crackers for lunch, maybe a glass of wine to smooth out the nerves and an ice cold beer for me, take her out in the car. We can probably steal one with no repercussions.
    5) Take her to the nearest multi-storey car park. Then I'd tell her, in no uncertain terms, that her mother, though hot, took a mans life and this is how she did it.
    6) Proceed to fling the two eggs over the edge of the building.

Should do the job.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant, Mo. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have ever considered becoming a bereavement counsellor, UQ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    I'll sort R April out good and proper. I haven't had kids yet but I know how to deal with them as I used to be one.

1) Tell her we're going to see what mummy did, like a day out. She can dress up like a police officer if she wants.
    2) Spend the morning painting two hard boiled eggs, one with all pretty brunette hair and nice eyes, very shapely, a rather pert rear... :blush: >:( That one is mine. She can do one with straggly hair and a predator grin on it or something.
    3) Tell April to tape 'em together for authenticity.
    4) After a nice bit of stilton and crackers for lunch, maybe a glass of wine to smooth out the nerves and an ice cold beer for me, take her out in the car. We can probably steal one with no repercussions.
    5) Take her to the nearest multi-storey car park. Then I'd tell her, in no uncertain terms, that her mother, though hot, took a mans life and this is how she did it.
    6) Proceed to fling the two eggs over the edge of the building.

Should do the job.
    :):):)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who cares? It's all made up nonsense anyway.

IMHO, of course.