Options

What is this station on the Marine band?

scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, its late in the evening and i decided to fiddle around with my radio an Amstrad 6010
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/6/7/9/2/9/4/webimg/705571821_tp.jpg
by wiring it up to the aerial in the loft and seeing if I could pick up anything interesting (as the built in telescopic aerial is a bit naff).
However I have just come across on the Marine band a womans voice at 5.5mhz (can't tune in very well its a bit garbled), I think she is reading out possibly weather I think a name of a place on the ocean map then numbers which I think are degrees - its a recorded message seems to be on a loop.
I also seem to be picking up music stations either end of the scale but the radio is a bit old.
Any ideas on the marine band?
I was really hoping to find a spy station but no joy !

thank you

Comments

• Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what you have is Shannon Volmet on 5.505 MHz. This is a set of weather reports and forecasts for aircraft.

Any reference to "marine" on your radio is probably out of date as there is now little or no HF marine activity.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that is definitely Shannon Volmet that you can hear on 5505 kHz. There is another one on 5450 kHz which used to be called RAF Volmet but has recently changed it's name to something more complicated and less memorable!
    As for the "Spy" stations? A lot of them have closed down now, but there are a few that still remain. However, most don't have the rigid schedules of the ones from the past. Happy hunting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    However I have just come across on the Marine band a womans voice at 5.5mhz (can't tune in very well its a bit garbled)
    The reason for it sounding garbled is that the transmission uses Single Sideband (SSB) which that old Amstrad radio is not designed to resolve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh brilliant thank you very much for the info, I'm going to hunt around a few stations tonight.
    I fell asleep listening to some arabic music on SW last night was rather good
    where does Shannon Volmet transmit from? I'm in Plymouth
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh brilliant thank you very much for the info, I'm going to hunt around a few stations tonight.
    Ballygirreen in Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co Clare, Ireland.

https://www.iaa.ie/nacs
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seem to be details here.

• Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does Shannon Volmet transmit from?
    From Shannon, of all places !

Edit: Whoops, I see that Robbie 01 and lundavra beat me to it. Telepathy at work...
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scruffpot. If you have another analogue MW or SW radio, you may be able to resolve the signal from Shannon Volmet. Tune the Amstrad radio to Shannon Volmet, put the other radio close to it (after switching It on of course!) and slowly tune the other radio up and down the band. Some radios generate a carrier wave while doing this and it will make Shannon Volmet's transmissions more intelligible.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    From Shannon, of all places !

Edit: Whoops, I see that Robbie 01 and lundavra beat me to it. Telepathy at work...

Not familiar with Ireland but looks as if not at Shannon itself.

It is normal for the ATC services to have remote transmitter sites. The HF VOLMET will quite likely go out from one site but the VHF (and UHF) services have multiple sites. I know CAA NATS at Prestwick have numerous transmitter sites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Not familiar with Ireland but looks as if not at Shannon itself.
    Ballygirreen, the location of the North Atlantic Communications Centre is only about 5 miles north of Shannon Airport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry it took me awhile to reply ( been on holiday), but thanks for the information. when I'm home after this weekend I'll see what else I can find. I did come across some random chatting on the marine band.. no idea what that was, possibly aliens..
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry it took me awhile to reply ( been on holiday), but thanks for the information.....

This is what it should sound like. :D