Options

Postal Deliveries, our rights.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We are now on our 11th day with no mail deliveries. The roads are clear, drives up to peoples doors are all clear too - even an 80 year old lady 2 doors up walks down the road for the bus. The pavements are still in snow, but we live in a cul de sac so no problem.

Just been to the local Post Office to enquire when we are liable to get mail - everyone here is up in arms as the postie has been spotted on the main road delivering, also a nearby estate has had mail.

The PO told us that Health & Safety had banned the deliveries until all pavements are cleared of snow - the backlog is now enormous and it's reckoned will take ages to clear. We are not allowed to 'collect' our own mail and will just have to be patient. We run a small business, know we have many cheques laying in that backlog that we need to pay company bills, wages and buy materials. All around us have normal deliveries and you can see disbelief when we tell them what is happening here on mail.

Is there anything we can do? bad enough at any time, but over Xmas where more and more mail is piling up this is getting absurd. Help please?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, that's disgusting! This "health and safety" tosh really gets my hair off. Does it not apply to all areas then, because I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, the pavements are still iffy, and our post has been coming every day.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    No idea, but having problems here getting important documents delivered by DHL. Every day they text me (yes, text) to say that they can't make it. Looking to cost me loads of cash if they are not here soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I'm really surprised at that. We have almost 3 foot of snow and the post has been delivered on time daily. sorry op just realised that doesn't make you feel better does it!

I'm afraid you probably have no 'rights' if they can't deliver then they can't deliver. its a case of waiting it out I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't even get in touch with the PO head office by phone, just get a pre-recorded message. I may have to get nasty and contact the media......:mad:
  • Options
    nickyislady_tnickyislady_t Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunatly as the post office have a monopoly on mail theres not much they will do about it.
    as they arent regulated by anyone they dont really care.
    it's disgusting i know :(
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Unfortunatly as the post office have a monopoly on mail theres not much they will do about it.
    as they arent regulated by anyone they dont really care.
    it's disgusting i know :(

They are regulated by Postcomm.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I always believed that you were allowed to collect your own mail from the PO Sorting Office.

There have been occasions in the past when postmen have refused to deliver mail to certain properties for a variety of reasons, e.g. dangerous dog living there. The residents have then been told they will have to collect their own post as the PO refuse to deliver it.

I think that going down to the sorting office in person might possibly prove more fruitful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea, but having problems here getting important documents delivered by DHL. Every day they text me (yes, text) to say that they can't make it. Looking to cost me loads of cash if they are not here soon.

DHL are a joke. I've got a tracking number and every day it gets updated on their website with "delayed due to adverse weather". My parcel is currently stuck at the depot in Goole, not far from where I live. I could easily get on a bus and go and pick it up, but apparently they can't get a delivery van to my house. Pathetic!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont think you have has any rights at all....we have had no snow and i have waited weeks for deliveries... nothing we can do
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they are doing their best. If they don't feel it's safe enough to send out their workers then fair play.

I'm sure you'll get it soon enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    joo-joo wrote: »
    DHL are a joke. I've got a tracking number and every day it gets updated on their website with "delayed due to adverse weather". My parcel is currently stuck at the depot in Goole, not far from where I live. I could easily get on a bus and go and pick it up, but apparently they can't get a delivery van to my house. Pathetic!
    Pathetic is the best word to describe their service! I fell out on them for trying to conduct business by text message. Told them to call me next time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DHL?? A joke! My Step Son arranged for them to come collect a parcel from him - waited all day in house. Found a note through the door saying they had been and to get in touch with office for another date/time. They never rang bell, and on phoning office was told that all collections had been cancelled for that day due to 'adverse weather'. So, who the hell popped the note through the door then? :confused:

The milkman and paperboy are getting through every day, bins emptied yesterday - no problems at all, even the window cleaner arrived yesterday (let him clean just for being there! :D) ...but the mail...?? :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    I always believed that you were allowed to collect your own mail from the PO Sorting Office.

There have been occasions in the past when postmen have refused to deliver mail to certain properties for a variety of reasons, e.g. dangerous dog living there. The residents have then been told they will have to collect their own post as the PO refuse to deliver it.

I think that going down to the sorting office in person might possibly prove more fruitful.

Will try and collect post soon I think. Just started getting a few deliveries, but the more recent orders are turning up first, and they're going to other people's houses! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on where you are talking about with regard to the mail going out. In our office we were told that we could not go out on delivery as it was too dangerous on Monday 06/12/10 due to a postal worker falling down and breaking a leg but the next day when the weather was worse we were told to take out some mail but due to the back log there is too much to get all delivered in one day. We want to deliver it but we are not allowed out on delivery or to use our bikes even on clear roads so we have to be taken to our first delivery point in a van that should be used for delivering packets then make our own way home.
    We were told at one point that the weather was a catergory 4 and that, so we were told, has to do with the size of a snow flake. We are out on solid ice and our bosse are concerned about the size of snow flakes.
    To get it correct last week I did not deliver on Wednesday and Thursday but went out Friday and Saturday. This week I did not go out on Monday as I have pointed out and I have been out Tuesday and Wednesday. The deliveries will continue if the weather is ok. I am sorry if you have not got your mail but as a delivery person I only can do what my manager will allow me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've hardly had any snow (at most 1/2") just Ice and have had mail every day up until today. We even had a parcel delivery next door last SUNDAY when it was really bad. It was only because my dad bumped into a postie that we found out about this H&S issue. I've had a parcel from amazon which was due to be delivered by the 4th stuck in the SW distribution office (Bristol?) since the 2nd according to tracking and I haven't had my Christmas Radio Times delivered yet. Most unhappy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    weird , all services seem to be working round here , bins emptied as usual , never missed a days post ..........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

Last winter in similar conditions I went to the sorting office as I was going that way anyway and thought it would be a simple matter to collect my mail.

The answer was a very emphatic no. I told the woman there that I was waiting for a parcel and that I would be out all day for the next couple of days (which was all true) and she told me she would go and look to see if the parcel had arrived. It hadn't but she still wouldn't let me have any other post!
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to apply for a Private Box if you wish to pick up your own mail ; http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?mediaId=52100720&catId=600006#29300229
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Mum sent 2 letters to me at the same time, both the same size. One with a first class stamp, the other with a second. The second arrived today - no sign of the first :confused:
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had mail every day - and 2 - 3 feet of snow. One of the posties didn't even have a long sleeved shirt on - temp outside was -9C
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    We've had mail every day - and 2 - 3 feet of snow. One of the posties didn't even have a long sleeved shirt on - temp outside was -9C

Was your postie Chuck Norris?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the people saying they have had deliveries, you realise that there is a HUGE variance in conditions around the country. Even within the same town some places are fine and other impassable.

Its great that you are getting on with your lives, are you OK with asking others to risk there by walking around with heavy sacks (often weighing over 25kg) on icy pavements that have not been cleared.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    still not had my superdrug delivery posted on the 24th november..16 days now!!! :(

superdrug say its cos of the snow grrrr.... I know nothing can be done but i needed it for this weekend and ordered thinking i had loads of time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Its great that you are getting on with your lives, are you OK with asking others to risk there by walking around with heavy sacks (often weighing over 25kg) on icy pavements that have not been cleared.

We got a delivery today - at 2:45pm and the postman came by car!
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    We are now on our 11th day with no mail deliveries. The roads are clear, drives up to peoples doors are all clear too - even an 80 year old lady 2 doors up walks down the road for the bus. The pavements are still in snow, but we live in a cul de sac so no problem.

Just been to the local Post Office to enquire when we are liable to get mail - everyone here is up in arms as the postie has been spotted on the main road delivering, also a nearby estate has had mail.

The PO told us that Health & Safety had banned the deliveries until all pavements are cleared of snow - the backlog is now enormous and it's reckoned will take ages to clear. We are not allowed to 'collect' our own mail and will just have to be patient. We run a small business, know we have many cheques laying in that backlog that we need to pay company bills, wages and buy materials. All around us have normal deliveries and you can see disbelief when we tell them what is happening here on mail.

Is there anything we can do? bad enough at any time, but over Xmas where more and more mail is piling up this is getting absurd. Help please?

Life will be so much easier when cheques have been discontinued. Just 7 years to go.