Options

People who stuff their faces in public

Comments

• Options
    My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another one of those people who can't eat while walking, I have to sit down and eat. I'm also not keen on eating on public transport, nothing to do with being a snob, just self conscious.

I occasionally (once every few months) have a bag of chips out (sitting on a bench) or even rarer, have a Subway or Burger King (sitting in their restaurant). Being a fatty though, I am well aware that people will look at me and think, "Oh, look at that fat cow, stuffing her face", which is what puts me off eating in public. Not that I'm that fond of fast food anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just on DS that people feel the only way to describe people eating is to use phrases like "stuffing their face" and "shoving food down their gob"?

Is that what these people are really doing? Really?!
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on the circumstances.

People eating an ice cream in public doesn't bother me at all but someone eating greasy fast food within a metre of me does.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Some people are just paranoid ghetto snobs. Get over yourselves, jeez.

Why?.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Why?.

People have to eat, people have different eating habits. I use public transport regularly and I have to sit next to people who absolutely stink of bad body odour, but you know what, I tolerate it. I certainly don't come onto an internet forum to whinge about it and call for it to be banned.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    People have to eat, people have different eating habits. I use public transport regularly and I have to sit next to people who absolutely stink of bad body odour, but you know what, I tolerate it. I certainly don't come onto an internet forum to whinge about it and call for it to be banned.

I see. I thought you were talking about everyone who doesn't like eating in the street, not just the ones who exaggerate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I don't mind people grazing on the move - it's the littering that drives me apoplectic.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damien. wrote: »
    I cannot eat when in public. I just get concious that everyone is looking at me and what I'm eating, the worst is something like an ice cream. :D

Me too.
    It's not so much that I think other people are disgusting if they do it, it's just that I don't know why they'd want to do it.
    I just don't enjoy eating like that, based on when I've done it before. Especially if it's messy food that has a tendency to break apart in your hands and squidge out all over your hands and fingers.

However I do find people eating crisps in public quite disgusting because their breath reeks of the flavour of crisps they're eating.
    Crisps being eaten in public is disgusting for me and can make me feel sick to be near anyone who's doing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind the eating at all. It's afterwards when they use their finger as a toothpick. Any food that is picked is then wiped on the tongue and re-eaten.

I saw a guy doing just this on the tube last week.

This made me quiver in disgust.
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    You know what Laura, times have changed a lot.

I'm not that old - 55 - but when I was young it was considered very bad manners to eat in the street. You just didn't do it.

Now, we all eat on the hoof and it's only considered out of order if you're a bit fat to begin with or you don't eat nicely.

When and why did it become ok to eat in the street?

I actually think it's one of the reasons why obesity is becoming a problem.

Yep, I remember reading an article some years ago, commenting on people eating crisps or a sandwich in the street, saying how bad mannered it was.

I guess that since more food places and coffee shops have sprung up over the years, it's just become commonplace to nip in somewhere when you're feeling peckish, and grab something easy to eat whilst on the go, instead of stopping to sit down for a while and eat.

I don't eat whilst I'm walking through town, or out and about shopping. I'd rather sit down somewhere and have something to eat and drink, or just wait til I get home. I tried eating a bag crisps on the go once, and it just felt all wrong :D

What I don't appreciate is when people come into the shop I work in with their drinks or snacks, touching the products with greasy hands and leaving their rubbish, or spilling their drink on the floor.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when you're walking along and you get stuck behind someone who's walking and eating at the same time. That annoys me,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's a good point linnylou.
    The increase in places that sell fast food has probably influenced eating behaviour.

You'd think that town and planning authorities would have planned for this. That if a town or city centre has a high frequency of outlets that sell food to eat on the go then there should be facilities created in towns so that people have somewhere to eat their snacks.
    Just more points here and there where there's a bit of green park with a few benches and trees where people can eat their food in a much more relaxed and pleasant way.

Not just dash out of the shop onto a street full of pedestrians and traffic and have to wallop it down on the fly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it when you're walking along and you get stuck behind someone who's walking and eating at the same time. That annoys me,

Especially if they're eating cheese and onion or prawn cocktail flavour crisps.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less if people eat in public - why not? But I do find most people's obsession with food these days odd.

I am just bemused by how many cookery shows there are on all the time. To me it is literally the most boring subject in the world, after economics. It's like clothes ... a diversion from the reality that we will all die. Find something REAL to think about, people!!!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    I specifically didn't say cafes or restauants because I thought it would be obvious there are clear exceptions...to most people.

I got the impression that you didn't like to see people eating:o:o
  • Options
    ModernPrimateModernPrimate Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Being a fatty though, I am well aware that people will look at me and think, "Oh, look at that fat cow, stuffing her face", which is what puts me off eating in public.

lol... I'm sure few people take any notice.
  • Options
    Bella TrixBella Trix Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I do find it a bit gross - I don't like to watch people eat on the bus or something, it makes me feel a bit sick! - and I particularly hate it when someone has smelly food in an enclosed space (I see lots of people with takeaways on the tube and I hate having to smell it). However I do occasionally have to do it myself - sometimes I simply forget to eat during the day or I'm too busy at work to get anything and I just get so hungry that I have to buy something and eat it on the bus home. :o Never anything smelly though and I always do it as surreptitiously as possible in hope no one will notice :o
  • Options
    dalemandaleman Posts: 226,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It Is disgusting when people spill their food down their front and It does not bother them.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way I see it, a foot long has to come out the other end. It's self abuse, be comforted by their shortened mortality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    I don't like eating in public, like on a bus or a train; I don't like the idea of people staring, I'm happy to wait until I get home or to work! I don't like eating and walking either as I see a lot of people doing. I prefer to sit down and eat my food, call me old fashioned.

This, whenever I get food when I'm out, I ALWAYS take it home with me before I eat it. I don't want to be stared at and for some reason, because I choose to take it home, it bugs me when I see other people sitting on buses/at bus stops eating.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you're not strange. Some bloke stuffing his face full of pasty on the bus.
    It's the eating noises combined with the constant shuffling of the paper bag

I got up and moved away

Also, the smell of the food, was making me hungry myself
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I have a hypo, I'm going to eat wherever/whenever, although I loathe doing it and will always try and be discrete.
  • Options
    ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny. What was a disgusting eating thread, turns into a fat bashing thread.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I'll never understand the vitriol and pure hatred there is out there for overweight people on DS. So many of you speak as if you're physically fuming at the thought of obesity. I just picture you all with steam coming out your ears, all red in the face with rage hammering those keys, lol. Would you ever calm down about it for once!? Every other thread on this God-forsaken forum seems to be about how 'fat people' are disgusting, are you not bored talking about it, super models of DS? Have you not got some lettuce leaves to munch on in a dark, empty room away from that filthy public you despise so much?

It comes down to snobbery. 'Stuffing their faces', 'shoving food down their throats'...really? :confused:
    I suppose you eat like delicate little butterflies. I suppose if i were to sit opposite you while you ate a meal i'd be moved to tears at the beauty of it all, haha.

Overweight or obese people are just people who are larger than those who are not overweight or obese. That simple. If they cause you no inconvenience or harm (and no, 'having to look at them' isn't a reason, sad acts :rolleyes:) then you have no business directing all of your failures and inadequate feelings about yourselves and projecting them upon innocent members of the public, some of whom are probably just, like you, trying their bloody best to muddle through this thing called life. While you're sat back laughing, judging and generally being the type of tosser who has millions of posts on an internet forum ;) it could well be that these people are attempting to improve themselves but NEWSFLASH, OMG!!! Overweight people do also need to eat too. It's incredible, isn't it? That concept? That starvation until they are an acceptable size in your minds could ever NOT be a solution? Still, hey ho.

On with your typing, i'm sure you've got some more less-than-perfect members of society to insult. Sad, sad little people, lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    super models of DS?l
    That bit was great. Especially the pluralisation. I'm not much of a fan of alimentary fascism.