Options

People who live as though they are stuck in a timewarp

Comments

• Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I dont live in a timewarp but i still call the radio "the wireless", even though i am only in my 30's.

Me too, all thanks to my grandad when I was a child!:D
  • Options
    billyboy789billyboy789 Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a green corduroy suit, will it ever be [back] in fashion ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is someone who lives near me know has not done up there flat since the early 70's. All the wallpaper and furniture is from then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    My grandad doesn't wear deodorant, has all these old antiques in his house, whenever he sees me he gives me a peck on the lips and shakes my hand! He has never wanted to use a computer (and doesn't know how to use one) and recently his tv broke and he isn't interested in fixing it. He has a bath once a week I think. (I know, bit personal that one). And he still has (and uses) one of those coal stoves!
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chupchup wrote: »
    So people who don't take up all the modern tech are in a time warp?

More like they haven't been sucked up by marketing.

I find the OP queit condescending in a way.

or cant afford it....

...this is the digital divide.

should we have people list what tech they dont have, O well, here we go....

I dont have a Smart phone, any games console, Sky, surround sound system, ipod, ipad/netbook/other tablet device.
    We also only have a basic Microwave - no combination type.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    It can be quite a shock when you see people from school who you haven't seen for years, it seems to be that the boys have aged much more than the girls for some reason, maybe because women are more likely to hide grey hair with dye and dress in a more up to date fashion, some of the men I see around who are the same age as me now look like their own fathers!

She seemed to be in a timewarp she wasn't a part of in the first place. If I didn't know her I would have said she was nearing her 60s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    (Inspired by the hotel TV lounge thread - sorry to that OP! :o:p)

Does anyone know anybody like this? People who seem twenty, thirty, or even more years behind the rest of us in terms of how they live/dress/think?

I know a few people around where I live who look like they haven't touched their hair since the 80s. Big, poofy perms that 95% of the rest of today's population wouldn't even consider. It always makes me chuckle.

But does anyone have any more extreme examples?
    That doesn't seem timewarpy to me. I don't like the way mobile phones have come to totally dominate society myself. I bet quite a few people would rather not have one if not for the belief system that we must all conform.

I cant help feel that your 2nd comment bold above, answers your first question.

Some people aren't that weak willed that that they feel they HAVE to conform.

Some people are comfortable enough with what they have, regardless of out out of date it is or how it is perceived and viewed by others. At least they aren't being herded, they aren't being caught up in the media hype of ''must have this, must do that, this is latest fad''.

If they are happy in what they have around them or how they chose to live: who are we to find fault and laugh at them? Perhaps money isn't as freely available to these people, perhaps they live on far tighter budgets than others? Are we to chuckle at them for not being as affulent as some others?
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Record player and vinyl records. Being so overly protective in taking them out of their main cover and then the thin paper inner cover.

Gently blowing over it to remove dust.

Then going beserk if anyone jarred the record player when it was playing and rushing over to inspect the damage! :eek:

It's not quite the same.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I have a mixture of tech and old skool stuff. I have the latest Windows 7 laptop and I have three of them (one for mum and dad and one for me) I have a PS3 and Blackberry and the latest tunes (as I'm a DJ) I also dress in the latest gear.

As for the old skool stuff I still have a 32 inch Bush CRT tv which took 3 people to get it up the stairs into my bedroom. I still have a playstation 2 and PS1 (for memories) I buy old football tops from the 90s off ebay (mostly United tops from late 90s and Juventus ones from mid to late 90s and early 00s) I like baggy clothes as opposed to the new tight fitting stuff you see. I love old skool hardcore music even though Im only 24 and that music was out when I was only 4 and I talk as if I was at the raves lol.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often see a man around town who must be in his early 40s, who dresses entirely like an early rock 'n' roller/Teddy Boy, with a zoot suit, long chain, quiffed hairstyle and all the gear. I reckon he's one of those people who has a house to match, with all the 1950's furniture etc in it. I always enjoy seeing him, no-one else looks as he does.

I went to school with a lad who dressed as a Teddy Boy from about the age of 12 (despite it being the 1980's). I don't live round there anymore but I have been told that he still dresses like it's the 1950's even now.

I dond't reqlly get people who become part of a youth cult (teds, mods etc) and then stick with it for life. The whole thing of youth fashion is that it's about the young fitting in somewhere. It doesn't sit right when you see 60 year old teds and 45 year old mods.
    My friend went to a school reunion recently and a couple she went to school with are still mods. She said it looked a bit strange seeing a middle aged couple still dressed in parkas and two tone outfits and dancing like they were doing the moonstomp to modern day music
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Yeah, there's a couple that live near me that look like something from the 80s and not in a modern "inspired by the 80s with a modern twist" way - proper 80s they even push their baby around in a hideous Victorian pram the kind that was popular in the 80s... I honestly think sometimes they're not real and I'm seeing the ghosts of a young family from the 80s killed in some tragic accident omg :D:confused::o:D

That has often crossed my mind when I see people who do look slightly 'out of time'. I remember seeing an woman in Edwardian dress holding a parasol while walking through the park and I did wonder about her. Similarly,when you are in the country and you see livestock in a field, are they all real or are some a visual imprint of long-dead beasts?

Reportings of timeslips do quite intrigue me.Maybe I need to get out more in my 'own time'? :eek::D
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    There is someone who lives near me know has not done up there flat since the early 70's. All the wallpaper and furniture is from then.

Brilliant-photgraph it all in case they have a brainstorm and modernise it all!
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a green corduroy suit, will it ever be [back] in fashion ?

Well, you can hope for a convergence of cut and colour being on trend. Summer being your best bet. Or you can set your own trend and wear it regardless...assuming it still fits :p
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I went to school with a lad who dressed as a Teddy Boy from about the age of 12 (despite it being the 1980's). I don't live round there anymore but I have been told that he still dresses like it's the 1950's even now.

I dond't reqlly get people who become part of a youth cult (teds, mods etc) and then stick with it for life. The whole thing of youth fashion is that it's about the young fitting in somewhere. It doesn't sit right when you see 60 year old teds and 45 year old mods.
    My friend went to a school reunion recently and a couple she went to school with are still mods. She said it looked a bit strange seeing a middle aged couple still dressed in parkas and two tone outfits and dancing like they were doing the moonstomp to modern day music

When I was nannying in Scotland, I lived next door to a large family of young boys who were mad for Al Jolson. You never heard any other music or singing coming from the house. Fortunately, they were skilled singers and mimics, they had Al off to a T. But it was still off-kilter for the 80s, the man himself had been dead for over 30 years, long before any of these kids/young men were born.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love anything 60's and 70's. I'm a proper 'flowers in my hair and nothing on my feet' kind of girl. Or I would be if I didn't live in Newcastle :D

Don't know if it's really a timewarp as I wasn't even a twinkle in the eye in either of those eras. But any sniff of a vintage shop and I'm in there like sh*t off a shovel. Wonderful :D
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was nannying in Scotland, I lived next door to a large family of young boys who were mad for Al Jolson. You never heard any other music or singing coming from the house. Fortunately, they were skilled singers and mimics, they had Al off to a T. But it was still off-kilter for the 80s, the man himself had been dead for over 30 years, long before any of these kids/young men were born.

That's the thing. There is nothing wrong with liking stuff from outside your own era. I was born in 1970, but I'm a huge fan of soul music, much of it from before i was born or when I was a young child. However, if i was to listen to nothing but 70's soul and walk round with an afro, flares and a psychadelic striped tank top 24/7, that would be odd.
    I think by all means be into old stuff but live in the modern world.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I live in a timewarp of sorts. I choose to live my life as though iPhones, iPads, Facebook and Twitter do not exist.

It is a strange thing to witness a group of twenty-somethings sitting silent in a room staring at their hands.
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love anything 60's and 70's. I'm a proper 'flowers in my hair and nothing on my feet' kind of girl. Or I would be if I didn't live in Newcastle :D

Don't know if it's really a timewarp as I wasn't even a twinkle in the eye in either of those eras. But any sniff of a vintage shop and I'm in there like sh*t off a shovel. Wonderful :D

That's the thing - people born after the 60s and 70s have an idealised view of them, based on film from King's Road, or San Francisco or other trendy hostpots.

If it was anything like Sheffield, I imagine Newcastle was quite grim in the 1970s, in fact more like what youngsters would associate with the 40s and 50s. In a way, I find memories of that era quite comforting, as there was a gritty realism to it. But for me, the 70s conjure up images of fawn cardigans and donkey jackets more than silver flares and flowery smock tops! :D
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about people who are opposite? I'm talking about those in their 40s and 50s who claim to love Rihanna or Jessie J? I work with a woman like this, and she castigates me for liking Radio 2, and music from the 70s and 80s, and she's older than me!

I find it a little ridiculous that she seems so desperate to keep up with her 18 year old daughter. :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I've got more respect and admiration for people who choose not to follow the herd.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i still have several sets of Lucienne Day curtains, inherited from parents, who were 1950s people ........ they still look good.

50s were a nice time. end of rationing. then the trendy 60s. even in silly 70s you still expected job for life. people are very insecure now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I've got more respect and admiration for people who choose not to follow the herd.
    I do too. Takes a confident person / self assured person, and one who doesn't give a damn what others think. Good on them too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those Victorian style prams are creepy looking, aren't they? Like something out of a sinister old nursery rhyme. :D

Why spend £500-£1000 on a Stokke or Bugaboo or buy a cheap pram that you'll have to replace 3 times when you have something reliable and sturdy? It was probably handed down and has sentimental rather than aesthetic value.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deodorant isn't necessary if you wash properly IMO.

I know. My grandfather never bothered. I always associate the smell of Lifebuoy soap with him.

But when you work in an open plan office it's downright rude to smell so badly you make colleagues gag. Even on a Monday morning. There are times I swear you could chew it. :(
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    (Inspired by the hotel TV lounge thread - sorry to that OP! :o:p)

Does anyone know anybody like this? People who seem twenty, thirty, or even more years behind the rest of us in terms of how they live/dress/think?
    It always makes me chuckle.
    But does anyone have any more extreme examples?

Probably not as much as some of us chuckle at the fashion victims who blindly follow every new trend as though they're frightened to be 48 hours behind fashion.:p