Is Channel 4's "The Snowman" No Longer Broadcast in its Original 4:3 Aspect Ratio?

D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I missed this year's "The Snowman" broadcast on Channel 4, this morning. I was seeking to acquire it in its original 4:3 aspect ratio, having bought the 'Special Edition' DVD, where it has been cropped to 16:9.

I have just heard it would have made no difference if I had recorded this morning's broadcast or not, as, apparently, since last year, Channel 4 are now showing it in a cropped 16:9 aspect ratio. Is this true?

If so, I suppose the only way to get it in 4:3 would be to get the "The Snowman/Father Christmas" double DVD, where it is described as being transferred in its original 4:3 aspect ratio.

Comments

• gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    I missed this year's "The Snowman" broadcast on Channel 4, this morning. I was seeking to acquire it in its original 4:3 aspect ratio, having bought the 'special edition' DVD, where it has been cropped to 16:9.

I have just heard it would have made no difference if I had caught this morning's broadcast or not, as, apparently, since last year, Channel 4 are now showing it in a cropped 16:9 aspect ratio. Is this true?

If so, I suppose the only way to get it in 4:3 would be to get the "The Snowman/Father Christmas" double DVD, where it is described as being transferred in its original 4:3 aspect ratio.
    I don't know about C4's policy, but being the owner of it, I can confirm that the double DVD you mention is indeed 4:3.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed this year's "The Snowman" broadcast on Channel 4, this morning.

It's on tonight at 18:25.
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    It's on tonight at 18:25.

Oh, you're right! I got confused with the Radio Times layout. I only buy this for the Christmas schedules these days, and had forgotten that the schedules for the start of the day 'til mid-afternoon is now printed in concise form on the left edge of the page!

I will certainly set my hard drive to record it, but it looks as if it will be in 16:9 aspect ratio, in which case, I'll abort the recording.

It does not matter to me as much, now, because I have found that I've got an S-VHS copy of "The Snowman" which I taped years ago. I haven't looked yet but, like all my S-VHS recordings, it has been well cared for, and I remember it has the original introduction with Raymond Briggs walking in the bleak forest scene. Nice.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I think I have a recording with the original introduction too somewhere, but I also have the double disc R1 DVD so it doesnt matter so much :)
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Your only answer would have to be a torrent where the origiinal 4:3 version would probably be available, now it's fair enough because you have paid for it but didn't get what you expected, I'm a stickler for these things too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, they have cropped it to a 16:9 aspect ratio, now.

It certainly has, IMO, been partially spoilt by the unnatural 16:9 crop. It is simply framed too tight, in places, for it to be acceptable when cropped like this. Heads, faces, legs, hands chopped off when they should be clearly in view.

I can see that in this era of 16:9 TV, Channel 4 may feel it a good idea to crop to this ratio, but only if the picture content is framed throughout in such a way that you can apply a 16:9 crop and 'get away with it'. This is certainly not one such programme.

Please, Channel 4, show it in its original glory, next Christmas.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes I just watched it (first time in years), and it did look dreadful with the bottom and top noticeably missing several times, however the hand drawn colouring in animation, also bugged me.

There isnt much plot to it either.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surpised by Channel 4, they are one of the better broadcasters when it comes to showing things in OAR. I guess if they hadn't cropped it, the same people who would complain amd a 2:53:1 film having black bars top and bottom would have complained with bars left and right.

PJ
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Its not Channel 4 that cropped it but the makers who supplied a new remastered print in this format.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 should start a new channel called 4by3 which only shows 4:3 programming :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been communicating with Channel 4 about this. If they get back to me with anything worth posting, then I will.

The matter has been escalated now, but the first reply advised me to 'check my set-up' and make sure that I am viewing in the correct aspect ratio, as nothing has been cropped and there is no missing picture information :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    I've been communicating with Channel 4 about this. If they get back to me with anything worth posting, then I will.

The matter has been escalated now, but the first reply advised me to 'check my set-up' and make sure that I am viewing in the correct aspect ratio, as nothing has been cropped and there is no missing picture information :rolleyes:

They are my employer now and i can tel you myself, its a new remastered print that was cropped to 16:9.
    Agreed though, it looked stupid and no need to have been cropped in the remastering process but its how alot is done now-a-days.
    They did the same with the Star Trek that was run on CBS Action.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    They are my employer now and i can tel you myself, its a new remastered print that was cropped to 16:9.
    Agreed though, it looked stupid and no need to have been cropped in the remastering process but its how alot is done now-a-days.
    They did the same with the Star Trek that was run on CBS Action.

Hi popeye13. Merry Christmas!

As they are your employer, could you tell them, from me, that they have made a ridiculous broadcasting decision today! The Christmas Day repeat of "The Snowman and the Snowdog" was preceded by one of their regular idents :eek:

Granted, the special "The Snowman and the Snowdog" ident was used with the film's first TX, yesterday, but not with the Christmas Day repeat. Do you think that the making of this ident was particularly good value-for-money, considering it was not used by Channel 4 on both occasions with the film that the ident is most naturally going to be used with?
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,596
    Forum Member
    I was gutted I missed The Snowman too but now having found out it's been ARC'd to 16:9 not disappointed. Looks like I'll have to buy myself the DVD version, obviously it's not Channel 4's fault.
    Forum Member
    Hi popeye13. Merry Christmas!

As they are your employer, could you tell them, from me, that they have made a ridiculous broadcasting decision today! The Christmas Day repeat of "The Snowman and the Snowdog" was preceded by one of their regular idents :eek:

Granted, the special "The Snowman and the Snowdog" ident was used with the film's first TX, yesterday, but not with the Christmas Day repeat. Do you think that the making of this ident was particularly good value-for-money, considering it was not used by Channel 4 on both occasions with the film that the ident is most naturally going to be used with?

They didn't want to over-use it but i think, using it into the repeat, would have been a smarter thing, but, eh!
    M60 wrote: »
    I was gutted I missed The Snowman too but now having found out it's been ARC'd to 16:9 not disappointed. Looks like I'll have to buy myself the DVD version, obviously it's not Channel 4's fault.

There have been a fair few folks emailing about the cropping but when remastering is done, for TV versions in particular, the delivery standard is 99 times out of 100, widescreen.
    So this got the cropping but they were trying to be smart with it but its not going to be to everyone's tastes.
    It worked a fair bit on the remastered Star Trek, but some scenes you feel its a little in-your-face close :)
  • M60M60 Posts: 5,596
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    They didn't want to over-use it but i think, using it into the repeat, would have been a smarter thing, but, eh!

There have been a fair few folks emailing about the cropping but when remastering is done, for TV versions in particular, the delivery standard is 99 times out of 100, widescreen.
    So this got the cropping but they were trying to be smart with it but its not going to be to everyone's tastes.
    It worked a fair bit on the remastered Star Trek, but some scenes you feel its a little in-your-face close :)

I found a copy of the 2005 re-released edition on DVD in 4:3 which I've ordered from Amazon for about £5, the remastered Blu Ray copy is also widescreen. I did catch a repeat yesterday on 4seven of both Father Christmas and The Snowman, must admit about half of it looked ok but there were noticable scenes with the 'safe area' cropped which didn't quite work.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprisingly, E4 showed the 4:3 version with David Bowie intro today at 7pm (and on +1 now). Assume C4 persisted with the cropped one?
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks better in widescreen
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly, E4 showed the 4:3 version with David Bowie intro today at 7pm (and on +1 now). Assume C4 persisted with the cropped one?
    No, they broadcast the Bowie one in 4:3 too. The only reason I can think of why is because the voice of the Father Christmas introduction was Mel Smith who died earlier this year.

Personally I think both introductions do not compare to the original introduction by Raymond Briggs, this coming from someone who grew up watching the Bowie one. The Bowie one in particular is ridiculous really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, they broadcast the Bowie one in 4:3 too. The only reason I can think of why is because the voice of the Father Christmas introduction was Mel Smith who died earlier this year.

Personally I think both introductions do not compare to the original introduction by Raymond Briggs, this coming from someone who grew up watching the Bowie one. The Bowie one in particular is ridiculous really.

Ah, interesting. Seems a bit strange if that's the reason.

I've never seen the original intro, I also grew up withy the Bowie version.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The original intro with Raymond Briggs is by far the best IMO, the Father Christmas one is too self referential (and worse it misses out some of the music).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    The original intro with Raymond Briggs is by far the best IMO

I still have my S-VHS copy of this version :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, they have cropped it to a 16:9 aspect ratio, now.

It certainly has, IMO, been partially spoilt by the unnatural 16:9 crop. It is simply framed too tight, in places, for it to be acceptable when cropped like this. Heads, faces, legs, hands chopped off when they should be clearly in view.

I can see that in this era of 16:9 TV, Channel 4 may feel it a good idea to crop to this ratio, but only if the picture content is framed throughout in such a way that you can apply a 16:9 crop and 'get away with it'. This is certainly not one such programme.

Please, Channel 4, show it in its original glory, next Christmas.

Blame wide screen tvs then.

Challenge have many shows they they show them full screen.

Last thing we need are those horrible black lines on the screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blame wide screen tvs then.

Challenge have many shows they they show them full screen.

Last thing we need are those horrible black lines on the screen.

Black bars are exactly what is needed when the source material and TV have different aspect ratios.

Anyway, it's Christmas, so I digress.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is it never the broadcaster's fault?

Why is it always the punter's fault?