Do you use the correct hands for eating?

Comments

• Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right handed. Fork with my right, knife with my left.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I use a spoon and fork :)

And wear a bib?
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I hold my plate with my left hand and eat with a Knork in my right hand most of the time, but can use cutlery properly if forced to sit at a table and eat in public!
  • bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This really irritates me. I am the only one out of the four of us here (inc my sons girlfriend who eats here regularly)that uses cutlery correctly. Why my son eats like this amazes me as he was never brought up to do so. Another thing, which my husband does, is eats with his elbows on the table. It drives me crazy! It is such bad manners
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This really irritates me. I am the only one out of the four of us here (inc my sons girlfriend who eats here regularly)that uses cutlery correctly. Why my son eats like this amazes me as he was never brought up to do so. Another thing, which my husband does, is eats with his elbows on the table. It drives me crazy! It is such bad manners

What is the correct combination though?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can use both hands, so keep swapping fork/knife between them.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Right handed. Fork with my right, knife with my left.

That's so wrong, I have got indigestion!
  • Kirsty.sKirsty.s Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I'm another who's right handed and uses their fork in the right hand. I was always getting corrected on it growing up but just cannot master the correct usage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirsty.s wrote: »
    I'm another who's right handed and uses their fork in the right hand. I was always getting corrected on it growing up but just cannot master the correct usage.

:) I think you must have had your food cut up for you for a long time, or you are ambidextrous, your 'working hand' if you are right handed is your right hand, therefore to cut food up you need your right hand to do the work....:D....but as long as your food doesn't end up on the floor or in your lap what does it matter?

(Sits at computer wondering why it matters to me, but it does a little bit :D )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I can't say I've ever paid much attention to which hands I use. Even thinking about it now I'm uncertain, although I assume I use the knife in my right hand as I'm right handed.

I find it completely ridiculous that this actually bothers people, though. The fact that anyone actually considers this important or at all relevant to anything baffles me.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, knife in the right, fork in the left - right handed.

We were all taught to eat 'correctly' however, my 82 year old mother still throws her eyes to heaven when she sees my brother eat.

He's managed okay in life though, so it's hardly world shatteringly important.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadiochao wrote: »
    I can't say I've ever paid much attention to which hands I use. Even thinking about it now I'm uncertain, although I assume I use the knife in my right hand as I'm right handed.

I find it completely ridiculous that this actually bothers people, though. The fact that anyone actually considers this important or at all relevant to anything baffles me.

Just a bit of thought, before you eat your food maybe.....food for thought ;-)
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    They're usually my own, so yes.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone ever tried using their feet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting.

I learned how to use chopsticks properly, so as to eat in the 'accepted' manner when I eat the food.

I watched closely when I first ate Arabian food, to see how it was done 'acceptably'.

I also eat correctly (more correctly) when I'm out, has to be said.

It has some importance I think, the ability to eat in a culturally acceptable way.

And I think that chopping your spaghetti up with a knife and fork looks uncouth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »

No, but I am sure there are those that do, and if they are lucky enough to have two, will be left or right footed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting.

I learned how to use chopsticks properly, so as to eat in the 'accepted' manner when I eat the food.

I watched closely when I first ate Arabian food, to see how it was done 'acceptably'.

I also eat correctly (more correctly) when I'm out, has to be said.

It has some importance I think, the ability to eat in a culturally acceptable way.

And I think that chopping your spaghetti up with a knife and fork looks uncouth.

I know, I am always telling my grandchildren that because it makes nanny smile with pleasure when they want to lick their plates, they must only do it at my house :D LOL.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flower 2 wrote: »
    I know, I am always telling my grandchildren that because it makes nanny smile with pleasure when they want to lick their plates, they must only do it at my house :D LOL.

Made me laugh:D

You just have to know HOW not to do it when you're at a posh restaurant.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    When eating an overstuffed sandwich, I tend to pick it up with my right hand, hold it together with my left hand, and present it to my mouth with my right hand.

Same here.
    mintbro wrote: »
    I'm right handed so mostly use my left hand to hold the fork and my right hand to hold the knife.

Only time I'll use the fork in my right hand is when eating spag Bol, find it almost impossible to eat with the fork in my left hand

I'm ambidextrous (pretty well), but usually the conventional way for fork and knife, i.e. fork (left hand), knife (right hand), but spoon (left hand).
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I'm right handed and eat with the knife in my left hand and the fork or spoon in my right. My dad is right handed and eats the same way, so I guess I must've copied it off him when I was a child learning to use a knife and fork. My mum, sister and brother all eat the opposite way and they're all right handed too!
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    farmer bob wrote: »

Rachel Sexton does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Same here.

I'm ambidextrous (pretty well), but usually the conventional way for fork and knife, i.e. fork (left hand), knife (right hand), but spoon (left hand).

Noooooooo, spoon right hand too...:o ;-)
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Left handed.

Knife in right hand, fork in left.
    Fork only - salad, spaghetti etc - right hand
    Soup - right
    Desert - spoon in right, fork in left.

Chopsticks, right handed. For those that have problems there are always these;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tess-g wrote: »
    Left handed.

Knife in right hand, fork in left.
    Fork only - salad, spaghetti etc - right hand
    Soup - right
    Desert - spoon in right, fork in left.

Chopsticks, right handed. For those that have problems there are always these;-)

That's the same as me, and I am right handed, are you contrary? ;-)
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the same as me, and I am right handed, are you contrary? ;-)
    I must be :D

Seriously though, a 50's child who was taught the 'correct' way of eating but no one tried to change the way I wrote. So a bit of a mishmash. Great for painting walls as I can use both hands!