Options

Do any of your pets think they can talk?

IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
Forum Member
I'm just wondering how many other people have pets that think they can talk?

I've got a staffy and she's recently started becoming extremely vocal. I can be having a conversation on the phone or with my housemate and she'll start gobbing off like she's joining in the conversation. She even has these moments where she rolls around on her back and then actually sounds like she's laughing. It's not the usual mimicking their instincts to roll around from being wild dogs, but an actual laugh as she can do it when she's stood up, too. I know staffies can be quite vocal, but I've never had one just start butting into conversations as and when.

At my marital home my wife has two housecats and one of them will come running up and starts gobbing off the moment she gets in and she follows her around the house like she's telling her the highlights of the day she spent looking out the window/sleeping/fighting with her sister/running her criminal catnip empire. If my wife ignores her she gets really insistent and she actually has to play along like she actually knows what she's on about. The weird part is there's times she's telling my wife something and it's like she's getting exasperated that she's fail to get the gravity of the situation. She will literally sit there and tell the missus about her day and then listen intently as my missus tells her about hers and then she wanders off.

I'm convinced animals understand language and the only thing that's stopped them is the fact they can't vocalise words properly. I know we can anthropomorphise (I think that's the right word) our pets and give them human qualities because they're part of the pack and we need to find a way to relate to them, but I'm sure they understand what we say.

So does anyone else have a pet that thinks it can talk, and even actually have conversations with them?

Comments

• Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had dogs all my life and non were vocal. Until I for a staffy cross. Every day at least twice a day he will sit and 'talk' away for at least ten minutes. My other dog (also a staffy cross) just looks at him like he's mental and ignores him.

I think it's hysterical. Absolutely love it.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our cat has got a lot more vocal as she got older. She has a range of noises she makes and so the noise she makes when greeting me in the morning is entirely different from the talking to I get if I haven't filled her bowl with food in a timely fashion, or the general chatty tone when we are discussing our days with each other.

She also likes to sit in in the middle if two or three of us are having a chat in the kitchen and she definitely gives the impression that she feels she is participating in the 'family' discussion.

It is quite sweet really.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    My cat Bella is very chatty and likes to purr and meow very loudly at the same time.
    My other cat Twiggy seems to be a mute. I've never heard him meow. All he can manage is a slight croaky sound bless him.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beast has always been quite vocal, but has got 'noisier' the older he gets.

The high pitched scream, usually at about 2 am when he brings in some creature which we are supposed to come and worship. We have learnt to be strong and tolerate this. Given time it reduces to a wimper, followed by noisy slobbering as he eats whatever it was he brought in.

Then he batters back out the cat flap and we go back to sleep.

We have the squeaky annoyed voice when he batters through the cat flap soaking wet and covered in grass/mud/allsorts; which is telling us it's our fault he is in a mess.

Then there is the battering through the cat flap demanding food voice which is more angrier than above. As we sort out his meal this dies down to impatient mewing.

Recently, we have had little chirps and squeaks as he is eating his meal, presumably this a sign that he is enjoying it.

The 'best' noises he makes is when he gets a bath, first off it's werewolf howls, followed by back of the throat growling, ending up with defeated pathetic sobs.

Although not vocal, the funniest noise he has made was earlier this week, when I came home from work and he appeared for his hug and we did our 'bashing faces' thing and he farted.

Being the git he is, he didn't even have the decency to react, let along look ashamed, he just let one rip whilst my hands were holding his back end and kept bashing my face and purring.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    @misha06: Cat's don't have owners, they have staff lol.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 2 Orientals and yep they are very chatty. Harry the boy cat when I call him to come in or when he's just coming in on his own lets me know he's on his way I hear him coming down the steps and along the hall way. When I come in from work they squawk at me for a good 10 mins!
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Cockateil can talk:D

he can say whatchadoin and I love you he also will chatter away in birdy talk :D
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    My raggie definitely thinks she can talk and has distinct tones depending on her mood.

My deaf monster also thinks she can talk - she's always chatting to me, which surprised me when we first got her as I thought she might be quiet given her deafness - not such luck! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of our cats you can have a proper chat with. He comes and sits in front of you and it goes...

Hello
    Meow
    You alright there
    Meow
    and so on.

It's funny because he's the most shy and keeps to himself apart from these little conversations. Also once I swear to God he said hello. Like when you see those videos of talking cats on youtube, it was like that
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Boofie wrote: »
    One of our cats you can have a proper chat with. He comes and sits in front of you and it goes...

Hello
    Meow
    You alright there
    Meow
    and so on.

It's funny because he's the most shy and keeps to himself apart from these little conversations. Also once I swear to God he said hello. Like when you see those videos of talking cats on youtube, it was like that

Mine is the same. But he only meows if you're looking at him. Look away & he shuts up, look back & he meows.

I have a running joke with him too, I ask him quiz questions, well one - Who was the famous chairman who started communism in China?
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    My cat has a lot to say. He sits on the arm of the chair and gives commentary on everything. He argues if you want him to do anything and Always has the last word. When the humans are talking he chips in. He never walks into a room without announcing himself, including when he comes into the bedroom during the night. Of course once he has told us he's arrived he falls asleep immediately while we are wide awake.
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of our cats is more or less a house cat due we think to being a homeless kitty that we found on holiday 5 years ago...On the odd time she ventures out if we don't realize and shut the door before she has come back in she then proceeds to scream and shout at us once she can get back in..will be shouting as she walks in ..then comes back to shout some more...always makes us feel guilty..but we do giggle..lol
  • Options
    moagmoag Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Siberian husky goes absolutely mental when my hubby comes home from work, he starts jumping about & howling following him about, hubby says how was your day, and he goes off in one for about 10 minutes .