Police search for missing boy with brain tumour removed from hospital by his parents

yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
Forum Member
✭✭
Breaking news on Sky this morning. 5 yr old Ashya King has been removed without consent by his parents from a hospital in Southampton and they have travelled to France with him and his 6 siblings. He was being treated for a brain tumour and the hospital say he could die without constant nursing care.

It sounds like this is another case of parents disagreeing with doctors over how far to take life saving treatment when their child has cancer. I hope they are treated with kindness when they are found. It seems they have made the decision to take their son away to die surrounded by his family. Isn't it ultimately the right of the parents to make that decision for their gravely ill little boy?

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    Breaking news on Sky this morning. 5 yr old Ashya King has been removed without consent by his parents from a hospital in Southampton and they have travelled to France with him and his 6 siblings. He was being treated for a brain tumour and the hospital say he could die without constant nursing care.

It sounds like this is another case of parents disagreeing with doctors over how far to take life saving treatment when their child has cancer. I hope they are treated with kindness when they are found. It seems they have made the decision to take their son away to die surrounded by his family. Isn't it ultimately the right of the parents to make that decision for their gravely ill little boy?

I will wait until more information comes out about this story to comment further.
    Not enough is known about it yet.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We dont know the full story . Maybe the boys outlook is good with the proper treatment . Maybe he needs more than the parents can provide without support . Maybe he is mid treatment and needs IV fluids .
    I would like to hear the full story and then maybe the picture would change
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashya's brother's facebook page gives a little more insight into what the family have been through lately.

https://www.facebook.com/naveed.king?fref=ts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    We dont know the full story . Maybe the boys outlook is good with the proper treatment . Maybe he needs more than the parents can provide without support . Maybe he is mid treatment and needs IV fluids .
    I would like to hear the full story and then maybe the picture would change

His brother posted this on 31st July.

''Once again I went to see Ashya for the second time this week. His skin colour was a lot more lively and seems to give a better response. Whilst I was leaving the surgeons gave us back the results to his tumour to find out what kind of tumour it was. Stage 1, is mild and most likely won't affect him again. Stage 2, slightly medium risk and theres chances to return. Stage 3, a lot stronger and will most likely return aggressive. Stage 4, most aggressive and dangerous tumour that will most likely mean that his life expectancy is low, also meaning its strongly cancerous.

Ashya was diagnosed with stage 4 sadly.''

Very sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not necessarily. Children denied medical treatment by their parents may be made a ward of court to make sure they get it. But I agree that this sounds like a difficult and distressing case, not a simple matter of parents refusing life-saving treatment because of religious beliefs. Unless anything more adverse comes to light, I'm sure we all wish them the best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not necessarily. Children denied medical treatment by their parents may be made a ward of court to make sure they get it. But I agree that this sounds like a difficult and distressing case, not a simple matter of parents refusing life-saving treatment because of religious beliefs. Unless anything more adverse comes to light, I'm sure we all wish them the best.

It certainly does look very different to that recent case with the rather barmy mother who just didn't want her son to receive standard medical treatment.
    My worry would be that they won't have access to pain medication for their little boy now, whereas at least in hospital or a hospice he could be made comfortable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly does look very different to that recent case with the rather barmy mother who just didn't want her son to receive standard medical treatment.
    My worry would be that they won't have access to pain medication for their little boy now, whereas at least in hospital or a hospice he could be made comfortable.

Yes, very true. :( The fact that he can't eat doesn't bode well for him being comfortable.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    What a tragic situation for the whole family. Having read how serious his condition is, and how unlikely it is he will recover, I can understand why the family have taken him with them, to spend his last days with his loved ones. But whether that's the best thing for the child, who knows.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Wait...

The parents of a boy with a brain tumour removed the police from a hospital? :confused:
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Initially I thought that perhaps they'd taken him out of the hospital and were going to seek treatment somewhere else in Europe with more pioneering medical skills but seeing as it's a grade 4 tumour, sadly there is only one prognosis.

Poor family, poor boy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky news are reporting that the parents are jehovahs witnesses. I think that changes things somewhat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Initially I thought that perhaps they'd taken him out of the hospital and were going to seek treatment somewhere else in Europe with more pioneering medical skills but seeing as it's a grade 4 tumour, sadly there is only one prognosis.

Poor family, poor boy.

They must feel so desperate to take him out of hospital without consent.
    How so very sad.
    It seems like they are a religious family who study the bible and preach it to others, I hope they can find some comfort in their faith at this time.
    I hope they do not get in to trouble for taking their little boy away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppycat wrote: »
    Sky news are reporting that the parents are jehovahs witnesses. I think that changes things somewhat.

Not really unless all the haters of people with a religious faith will come on board attacking them.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they want him to avoid more suffering away from hospital intervention.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really unless all the haters of people with a religious faith will come on board attacking them.

It does make a huge difference owing to JW's attitude to medical procedures.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Maybe they want him to avoid more suffering away from hospital intervention.

I did wonder that too. If he is in an operable final stages perhaps they wanted him home with his family. I hope tho that he is not suffering as a result of their removing him from medical help to relieve symptoms. Very very sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    It does make a huge difference owing to JW's attitude to medical procedures.

Only medical procedures that involve taking blood, not other ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It makes a difference if the child need blood or any of its compoments .Very often a child on chemo will need RBC or a platelet transfusion
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what they are going to do about pain relief for the boy, before he does die.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes a difference if the child need blood or any of its compoments .Very often a child on chemo will need RBC or a platelet transfusion

Yes, I believe they refuse not only blood but anything containing blood derivatives.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what they are going to do about pain relief for the boy, before he does die.

Not everybody who dies is in pain. Let's just hope this little boy isn't.
    I think, in general, parents know what's best for their children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only medical procedures that involve taking blood, not other ones.

Its the transfusion of blood that JW 's do not allow .The taking of samples is not an issue
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They will probably get it from a Dr same as anyone else.
    When my sibling had a brain tumour we had the hardest time getting them home to die. If they cannot find you a slot, ambulance, trained medical nurse etc and so on , you wont be getting home to die.

It was very frustrating and I bet that is the reason they just made their own plans and walked out with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the transfusion of blood that JW 's do not allow .The taking of samples is not an issue

Yes I know that.
    http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jehovahs-witnesses-why-no-blood-transfusions/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They previously allowed him to have an emergency operation so I think it would be wrong to instantly surmise that their religious views prevented him receiving treatment.