Options

RF loop though?

pauls898pauls898 Posts: 204
Forum Member
A friend of mine was installing a new standard sky box and has told me that Sky have now removed the RF loop though from their boxes?
My question is I need to replace my 1TBn box with a new 2TB sky box but I need the RF loop though as I use it for running magic eyes in other rooms? so I was hoping that the RF loop though is still on the new 2TB boxes? does anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The newest boxes do not have the RF loopthrough as standard. They use a small dongle instead which is an optional extra. It's called the IO Link and the official one costs a tenner.

Though the Sky one apparently has issues running more than one eye so the Triax version is often recommended if you need more grunt to power several eyes. Though it is dearer and you need a separate power supply to run more magic eyes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triax-Link-Output-Sky-Box/dp/B00HY9E5LA/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triax-Link-Power-Supply-Unit/dp/B00I4T534M/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok so it is correct then, dam I don't want more boxes and power supplies cluttering up behind my tele stand :-(
    Thanks for the info anyway, I might well pass on the idea of changing my box in that case :-(.
  • Options
    SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A useful feature done away with, that's progress.:(
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have replaced one built in function (RF output) that is beginning to fall out of usefulness with one that is gaining use - built in WiFi.

I would think far more people are now using WiFi than those still using RF output.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why replace, surely it could stay there at no extra cost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spruce wrote: »
    Why replace, surely it could stay there at no extra cost?

What planet are you on? Components cost money they are not given to the manufacturers free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The extra cost would come from the built in WiFi they've added. If there isn't a need then why offer an IO link?

I'm on the planet that says if it isn't broken then don't fix it.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The extra cost would come from the built in WiFi they've added. If there isn't a need then why offer an IO link?
    I didn't say there wasn't a need., but there are more people who need a WiFi connection than the RF output.Thus the IO link is to cater for those for those who still wish to use this antiquated lowest video quality mono sound option. The external IO link replaces the external WiFi link that a far greater number of people were using.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    A useful feature done away with, that's progress.:(

yes what a shame as Sky keep telling everyone they " believe in better"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't use it for the picture or sound I need it for the Magic Eye to be able to use a sky remote in another room, while the TV picture and sound are being supplied via an HDMI distribution system. I just realized I can ditch the Magic's eyes and use my iphone with the sky app to control my sky box lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have decided to go down the "Upgrade my own HDD" route and see if that fixes the problems of my failed recordings and Blue screen playback?
    I can't be doing with all these dongles hanging off the back and then someone saying the Sky IO doesn't work and you need an external supply to power a Triax one lol.
    I'm hoping by replacing the HDD with a bigger 2TB one I gain the extra space and keep my RF loop through as I do find it useful in other rooms and I have all my antenna system wired though it and it be a pain in the ass to change all that and I'll then loose one of the outputs as the sky box gives me two, one for TV and other goes up to loft to supply my distribution amplifier system feeding the rest of my TV's in the house including the Magic eyes lol I think I have about six connected to that lol
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say there wasn't a need., but there are more people who need a WiFi connection than the RF output.Thus the IO link is to cater for those for those who still wish to use this antiquated lowest video quality mono sound option. The external IO link replaces the external WiFi link that a far greater number of people were using.

The RF output is the only way to send remote commands back to it unless you want to fart about with remote senders though. Time for Sky to look at RF remotes like the American satellite operators have been using for years? (and an additional HDMI output would be nice)

We use HDMI to drive the second TV these days, but still have to retain the coax just for the remote.
  • Options
    bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    The RF output is the only way to send remote commands back to it unless you want to fart about with remote senders though. Time for Sky to look at RF remotes like the American satellite operators have been using for years? (and an additional HDMI output would be nice)

We use HDMI to drive the second TV these days, but still have to retain the coax just for the remote.

Sky+ app for smart phones allows the box to be controlled from anywhere in the house no need to "fart about with remote senders" or change to RF remotes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubblegun wrote: »
    Sky+ app for smart phones allows the box to be controlled from anywhere in the house no need to "fart about with remote senders" or change to RF remotes.

What if I don't want to use a tablet or a phone to control my Sky box? I don't keep my phone on me when at home and there are obvious battery life issues there.

Using a real Sky remote does not have this problem.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Time for Sky to look at RF remotes like the American satellite operators have been using for years?

Really BAD ideas :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really BAD ideas :D

Why? Range should be pretty good in our tiny British houses, and even a trivial pairing mechanism can cut out most cases of "my neighbour's turning the telly over".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why? Range should be pretty good in our tiny British houses, and even a trivial pairing mechanism can cut out most cases of "my neighbour's turning the telly over".

More expense, more problems, more interference - and having to pair would cause incredible difficulties for huge numbers of people, many can't even put the batteries in the right way round :D

IR does exactly what you want for a TV remote - controls the set in the room you're in, nothing else is required - but as far as Sky boxes go, they still even provide an option for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More expense, more problems, more interference - and having to pair would cause incredible difficulties for huge numbers of people, many can't even put the batteries in the right way round :D

IR does exactly what you want for a TV remote - controls the set in the room you're in, nothing else is required - but as far as Sky boxes go, they still even provide an option for that.

People manage to pair their Playstation/Xbox controllers *and* can put the batteries in. Or on more recent Sky boxes, they somehow manage to use WPS to connect it to their router. Or they can add another DECT phone to their base station.

The point is that Sky seems to want to dump RF distribution at some point - and until then, you've got to go to the trouble of running a coax cable just to run a TV link, even though you really want to use HDMI. Maybe Sky could implement proper CEC support?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People manage to pair their Playstation/Xbox controllers *and* can put the batteries in. Or on more recent Sky boxes, they somehow manage to use WPS to connect it to their router. Or they can add another DECT phone to their base station.

'Some' people do - not all by any means, vast numbers can't - if in doubt, borrow a little kid :D

The point is that Sky seems to want to dump RF distribution at some point - and until then, you've got to go to the trouble of running a coax cable just to run a TV link, even though you really want to use HDMI. Maybe Sky could implement proper CEC support?

Have been asleep - the latest update implements CEC - although I don't really see the relevance?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Some' people do - not all by any means, vast numbers can't - if in doubt, borrow a little kid :D

Makes you wonder how they manage to use a TV link or indeed live their lives if simple tasks like pressing a button on console followed by button on controller are flummoxing.
    Have been asleep - the latest update implements CEC - although I don't really see the relevance?.

It only implements CEC in as far as being able to turn on a connected TV and set its input. The point of a full implementation would be to allow control from a TV - at minimum it means you only need one remote, at best you'd get control of your Sky box from another room (if you have splitters and a long cable), without the need to run coax + buy a TV link + RF modulator if your Sky box doesn't have one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It only implements CEC in as far as being able to turn on a connected TV and set its input. The point of a full implementation would be to allow control from a TV.

Which is all you want - TV remotes don't have the facilities to run a Sky box, so it would be pointless.