Belfast Or Dublin?

teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
Forum Member
✭✭
I am thinking of going to Belfast or Dublin for a couple of days in October. Which is the best place to go sightseeing?

Comments

• David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're both pretty good. I like them both.

Dublin is ultimately a bigger city so there's more to see.

Belfast has a very laid back feel and Dublin is very fast paced. I got the train from Dublin to Belfast last year and in Dublin there were so many people and so much fast movement and rushing around, then when I arrived in Belfast, the traffic lights changed faster, everyone was walking about slower...it was fun how different each city was.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been to both, definitely Dublin, hands down, more scenic and friendlier imo
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you. Dublin it is - first, then maybe I'll try Belfast.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least in Dublin you don't have to worry about the troubles! :eek:
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this 1993?
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Why not do both?

It's easy to get a train or bus down or up depending on where go to first.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe you should take a couple of recent history lessons (or just watch the news) before you make comments that are 15 years out of date...

Belfast is a very different place now than it was a decade or two ago - much more to see, generally a nicer place to be. On the other hand I find Dublin in many ways a less interesting place to be - the economic crisis ruined it, the docklands especially, and it's just a bit sad to see that area so empty!
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lmao... Wait, seriously?
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Prices of hotels, eating out and shopping will be cheaper in Belfast, I nearly died in Dublin at the cost of a round of drinks :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Frillynix wrote: »
    Prices of hotels, eating out and shopping will be cheaper in Belfast, I nearly died in Dublin at the cost of a round of drinks :o

Same here, was at a wedding in kinnitty castle in Ireland, coming back we decided to spend a few days in Dublin. Couldn't believe the price for a pub meal and a few drinks. Very expensive
  • Fruit_FlyFruit_Fly Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belfast - great modern city centre, cheap and friendly, full of residents, great bars.
    Dublin - great older city centre with a historical edge, expensive and friendly, full of tourists, great bars.

I visit Belfast quite a bit, but for tourist time would choose Dublin first. Don't forget to find Oliver St John O'Gogherty's bar in Temple Bar http://www.menupages.ie//Dublin/temple_bar/temple_bar/oliver_st_john_gogartys if you like great live music and magnificent traditional food.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dublin if you like a drink :)

Although as said it is expensive in Temple Bar area.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belfast.
    Better for shopping and far cheaper than Dublin.

Someone said the people in Dublin are friendlier,
    No chance.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Belfast.

No chance.

At least Dublin, and even other UK cities aren't totally divided with 'peace walls' to stop opposing sides from attacking each other. The majority of its inhabitants actually get on with one another.

Belfast does have I think the lowest crime rate in the UK I think for what its worth which is a surprising but pleasing statistic.

I'm with others I think its worth visiting both if you possibly can, they're only 2 hours away on the train from each other.
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    At least Dublin, and even other UK cities aren't totally divided with 'peace walls' to stop opposing sides from attacking each other. The majority of its inhabitants actually get on with one another.

Belfast does have I think the lowest crime rate in the UK I think for what its worth which is a surprising but pleasing statistic.

I'm with others I think its worth visiting both if you possibly can, they're only 2 hours away on the train from each other.

It's hardly likely that anyone visiting for a few days will find themselves in areas where there are 'peace walls' unless they take a tour that shows them. Also, I thought most of the walls were now down and most areas managed to live quite peacefully side by side? You make NI sound like a warzone whereas the truth is that it's like any other city with bad areas but most places are fine for tourists
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Love, love, love Dublin - chose to spend both my 30th and 40th birthdays - but it is so expensive now to have even a mini break there sadly.

But I can definitely recommend The Bank at College Green for a fantastic setting and a really decent, fairly cheap meal and The Queen of Tart's tea shops just up the road from there are fabulous - there are two, just round the corner from each other - there is normally a queue to get in :o My OH really doesn't "get" Dublin (he thinks London is much better - it isn't!) but he adores the QOT and we normally go at least twice a trip!

Fallon & Byrne's food hall is also great and had a nice meal there too. Temple Bar is where I'm always drawn too for the atmosphere - loads of pubs & places to eat - the Brick Alley cafe there is a funky little place and does a great Irish breakfast at a reasonable price.

You must do the hop on, hop off bus tour for all the interesting historical places to see.

Waaah! I want to go again! 😩
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    It's hardly likely that anyone visiting for a few days will find themselves in areas where there are 'peace walls' unless they take a tour that shows them. Also, I thought most of the walls were now down and most areas managed to live quite peacefully side by side? You make NI sound like a warzone whereas the truth is that it's like any other city with bad areas but most places are fine for tourists

Well I did say Belfast has the lowest crime rate of any city in the UK underneath (you've chosen to ignore me saying that).

Getzls says Belfast is a friendly city, I don't disagree with that but the atmosphere of Belfast is still very divided, especially in working class areas. The overall atmosphere of Belfast is not as pleasant as it could be IMO and I do think it reflects negatively on the city.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Belfast.

No chance.

I found Dublin friendlier as I said previously IMO, the clue there being 'imo' ... Having been to both cities several times and with friends in both areas, I've just found Dublin in general to be more happy and friendlier, each to their own though...
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »

As do the majority of people in Belfast, funnily enough. And I lived in NI for over 20 years, and went to Belfast often, and I've never actually seen a peace wall. They're nowhere near where tourists would go.

Stop all the ridiculous scaremongering, it's no more dangerous than any other city!
  • KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    Dublin is very expensive but apart from that it's a lovely city, very relaxed and feels different enough to enjoy the experience of being abroad but still very similar to British cities to make you feel at home and welcome. The surrounding area is beautiful as well, Howth and the coastal walks around there are easy to get to with the transport links.

I've seen some comments on here saying Dublin isn't a friendly city but I have no idea where that has come from, every city has it rough areas and less welcoming residents but the overall atmosphere is friendly and getting around is very easy, most Dubliners are happy to help and there seems to be a lot of students from around the world who love the city and are really chatty with tourists.

I really like Belfast as well, long gone are the problems of the past and the city centre is just like any other popular city in the UK and Europe. It's cheaper and there's plenty to see and do, lovely pubs and bars. I don't think the atmosphere is quite as friendly as Dublin but it is by no means a bad atmosphere there, I've never felt any division or unrest.

You could always visit both, they're well linked by road and rail, crossing the border is hardly a bother!