Options

Passed my driving test - getting the car on the road!

RyanC1992RyanC1992 Posts: 651
Forum Member
✭✭
So on Monday I passed my driving test :D
I've got my insurance in place and I now need to get a tax disc. If I were to apply online, would I be able to drive right away or would I need to wait on the tax disc arriving?

I was hoping to get down to the post office today, however, although the car is insured, it's not showing up on the askmid website saying it's insured.... would that cause an issue?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RyanC1992 wrote: »
    I've got my insurance in place and I now need to get a tax disc. If I were to apply online, would I be able to drive right away or would I need to wait on the tax disc arriving?

I was hoping to get down to the post office today, however, although the car is insured, it's not showing up on the askmid website saying it's insured.... would that cause an issue?

The askMID website might not be 100% up to date , especially if the policy is very new, so I wouldn't worry unduly about that. Much more important is that you have the certificate in your hand when you wander into the Post Office.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Congratulations op, get yourself down to the post office if you have the certificate and take it easy....

Good luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take your insurance certificate, mot and registration document to the post office.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Congrats on passing, in theory you need to display a tax disc to be on the public highway, but if you were stopped, you'd have to really fail the attitude test to get a fine, proving you have all the other documents to hand, and can prove your on your way to the PO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats on passing, in theory you need to display a tax disc to be on the public highway, but if you were stopped, you'd have to really fail the attitude test to get a fine, proving you have all the other documents to hand, and can prove your on your way to the PO.

You don't have to be stopped to be done. There are plenty of ANPR cameras around the place you could be tagged by.

Not worth the risk driving the car until it's properly taxed.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Thats true, it depends where and how far the op is going.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can only legally drive without tax when on the way to a booked MOT test and home.
    On the way to the post office isn't included.

Bit harsh when you're on your way to pay your tax but it keeps the law simple for them at the expense of our convenience.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    probably better to get the bus there and back with the disc secure in your pocket, sods law and some plod after another easy nick for his promotion review won't be the best start to your driving career

you could also get it on the back of a truck and roll it off once the discs fitted and drive home but normally the bus will be a hell of a lot cheaper
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You don't have to be stopped to be done. There are plenty of ANPR cameras around the place you could be tagged by.

Not worth the risk driving the car until it's properly taxed.

They are talking of driving before the disc arrives. If they've applied then the ANPR camera won't pick it up.
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are talking of driving before the disc arrives. If they've applied then the ANPR camera won't pick it up.

And you only need to display the disc for another 3 weeks. :D
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    You can only legally drive without tax when on the way to a booked MOT test and home.
    Or to a prearranged VIC appointment and back again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The post I was responding to was talking about driving to the Post Office to get a disk though.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    some plod after another easy nick for his promotion review won't be the best start to your driving career
    Are you saying that policemen should pick and choose which crimes they deal with? And are you saying that untaxed cars on the road are an unimportant problem?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Are you saying that policemen should pick and choose which crimes they deal with? And are you saying that untaxed cars on the road are an unimportant problem?

A lot of police use their judgement when looking at things, a mate once got stopped for doing 40 in a 30 zone with no seatbelt on and got away with it once he pointed to his injured cat in the seat who was bleeding pretty bad after getting into a mega fight - technically it could of been points/fines even prison i suppose but the officer used his judgement and wished him good luck and let him get to the vets
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    OP, until 1st October, you still need to display a valid tax disc on the windscreen of your vehicle; not to do so is a possible 3-point penalty on your licence........a licence that you’ve only just got.

Don’t forget, if you get 6-points within the first two years your licence will be completely revoked and you will have to re-apply for a provisional licence and pass your theory/practical tests all over again.

Don’t do anything that may put your licence at risk! :o
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    A lot of police use their judgement when looking at things, a mate once got stopped for doing 40 in a 30 zone with no seatbelt on and got away with it once he pointed to his injured cat in the seat who was bleeding pretty bad after getting into a mega fight - technically it could of been points/fines even prison i suppose but the officer used his judgement and wished him good luck and let him get to the vets
    So that crime was dealt with, then. I didn't say that the police should prosecute everyone. I just implied that they shouldn't ignore a crime just because they (or you) think it doesn't matter. Untaxed vehicles are a problem on the roads and I don't understand why someone who pays their VED would be critical of a police officer who stopped and 'dealt' with someone driving an untaxed vehicle.

It may be that the OP would be let off after they explained but the idea that a police officer only stopped them because they wanted a promotion is silly.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

True, there is a 14 day period while waiting for the disc to arrive in which he can drive.
    Its a valid excuse if pulled over and the police can easily check if the car is taxed or not

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-when-renewing-your-tax-disc
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    True, there is a 14 day period while waiting for the disc to arrive in which he can drive.
    Its a valid excuse if pulled over and the police can easily check if the car is taxed or not

That only applies for renewals where the car had valid tax that expired at the end of the previous month.

For a car purchased without tax the only legal option is to keep the car off road until the disc arrives. The quickest way to get one is via the post office.

Failing to display is not an endorsable offence and you will not get points on your licence if detected using the car without one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    michael37 wrote: »
    That only applies for renewals where the car had valid tax that expired at the end of the previous month.

For a car purchased without tax the only legal option is to keep the car off road until the disc arrives. The quickest way to get one is via the post office.

Failing to display is not an endorsable offence and you will not get points on your licence if detected using the car without one.

It says in the link "when you renew your vehicle tax or when your new car is taxed for the first time"
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can apply online right away and as long as your insurance and mot are accepted then you can drive straight away....you have 5 days for your tax disc to arrive, but you are allowed to not have your disc displayed during the 5 days grace.
    A simple check by any Police Officer will show that you are legal to drive.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just walk to the post office and tax it. What exactly is the discussion here ??
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just walk to the post office and tax it. What exactly is the discussion here ??

Yep...or the above :)
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    OP, until 1st October, you still need to display a valid tax disc on the windscreen of your vehicle; not to do so is a possible 3-point penalty on your licence........a licence that you’ve only just got.

Don’t forget, if you get 6-points within the first two years your licence will be completely revoked and you will have to re-apply for a provisional licence and pass your theory/practical tests all over again.

Don’t do anything that may put your licence at risk! :o

Apologies for posting duff info; failure to display a valid tax disc is NOT endorsable by points on your licence.....it's just a fine. :blush:

However, the rest of the info is valid; so, OP, well done on passing your test, and watch your speed ........that is endorsable by points on your licence! ;-)

Happy motoring.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    michael37 wrote: »

No, this changed last year. Previously it was a 5 day grace period applicable only to renewals, but it was changed to a 14 day grace period applicable in all circumstances where a new disc is issued.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/179258/ved_administration.pdf.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Apologies for posting duff info; failure to display a valid tax disc is NOT endorsable by points on your licence.....it's just a fine. :blush:

However, the rest of the info is valid; so, OP, well done on passing your test, and watch your speed ........that is endorsable by points on your licence! ;-)

Happy motoring.

Except in this instance there would be no fine. A ANPR camera would automatically see the car is taxed via dvla and no copper would issue a ticket because driving without a tax disc in this instance is perfectly legal