Are Plusnet any good?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
Forum Member
Soon going to be switching from Sky unlimited broadband and was wondering whether Plusnet are any good (service wise). Thinking of getting the unlimited broadband from them.

I've read reviews of plusnet ”throttling” your speed during peak times - but is this just for extensive internet use such as online gaming? I will mainly use the internet for streaming catch-up services/netflix and youtube and maybe the odd download, would these things also be affected due to the “throttling?”

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks:)

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml

I can't say I've noticed any traffic management personally, but I'm on the Plusnet fibre unlimited extra service, rather than standard ADSL2.

http://www.plus.net/home-broadband
    Forum Member
    If you are thinking of transferring your phone line. Check with Plusnet whether some or more of the following are available for what you are after.

The line rental is roughly the same for Plusnet, as it is with Sky.

Plusnet. Any time unlimited national calls to 01, 02, 03, 0845, 0870 numbers, plus 300 minutes of international calls (to common destinations), but you must hang up and redial before 60 minutes for national calls and 30 minutes for international calls. Cost £7 in addition to line rental.

Sky. Any time unlimited national calls (60 minute limit before redial, same numbers as above) £5. Any time unlimited national and international calls (to common destinations) £10. 60 minute time limit, before redial. In addition to line rental.

Plusnet. 1571 free.
    Sky. 1571 free.

Plusnet. Caller ID £1/month.
    Sky. Caller ID free.

Plusnet. 100 free mobile minutes. £3.
    Sky. Do not offer this.

Plusnet. 24/7 customer support, always to a UK call centre on an 0800 number.
    Sky. Customer support, not always to a UK call centre. 07:00 to 23:00.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    If you are thinking of transferring your phone line. Check with Plusnet whether some or more of the following are available for what you are after.

The line rental is roughly the same for Plusnet, as it is with Sky.

Plusnet. Any time unlimited national calls to 01, 02, 03, 0845, 0870 numbers, plus 300 minutes of international calls (to common destinations), but you must hang up and redial before 60 minutes for national calls and 30 minutes for international calls. Cost £7 in addition to line rental.

Sky. Any time unlimited national calls (60 minute limit before redial, same numbers as above) £5. Any time unlimited national and international calls (to common destinations) £10. 60 minute time limit, before redial. In addition to line rental.

Plusnet. 1571 free.
    Sky. 1571 free.

Plusnet. Caller ID £1/month.
    Sky. Caller ID free.

Plusnet. 100 free mobile minutes. £3.
    Sky. Do not offer this.

I won't be making any calls as I mainly use my mobile for everything call related. With plusnet I was looking at their basic package - £3.49 for 12 months and £12.99 line rental (I believe if you pay upfront), 12 month contract
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be making any calls as I mainly use my mobile for everything call related. With plusnet I was looking at their basic package - £3.49 for 12 months and £12.99 line rental (I believe if you pay upfront), 12 month contract

£2.49 a month and £50 cashback if you apply online. I don't like the way you lose free weekend calls when you opt for the 12 month upfront rental saver though.

I'm considering Plusnet myself also for their reputation for good customer service. They tend to do well in Which? magazine tests.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got activated with plusnet fibre today.
    Went through TCB for £105 cashback.6 months half price for 6 months so £10 a month then rising to £20 after 6 months.
    Paid upfront for line rental never took the anytime option @ another £5 a month as use my mobile for calls.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    When I moved into my place a month ago I was looking at niche operators for better customer service, and taking into comparison the cashback.

Plusnet was 3.49 for the first 12 months, 10.99 saver line rental, unlimited ADSL, plus £70 cashback.

Was a no brainer really.
    Forum Member
    I missed out on the cashback. How does that work?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    £2.49 a month and £50 cashback if you apply online. I don't like the way you lose free weekend calls when you opt for the 12 month upfront rental saver though.

I'm considering Plusnet myself also for their reputation for good customer service. They tend to do well in Which? magazine tests.

That's a better deal thanks:)
    Don't mind the loss of weekend calls when going with the line rental saver however I'm annoyed at the £25 activation charge (free if you take a phone package)
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member

Rather not be the fella that bursts your bubble but support for phone line and broadband are 24/7 with Sky and have been for some time. In fact since 2009 and I have been with them for said services on off since then. I might add that Sky has pretty much wound down its offshore operation in recent years and you will find it difficult to speak to someone who is not british or british based...... Just setting it straight :blush:
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Rather not be the fella that bursts your bubble but support for phone line and broadband are 24/7 with Sky and have been for some time. In fact since 2009 and I have been with them for said services on off since then. I might add that Sky has pretty much wound down its offshore operation in recent years and you will find it difficult to speak to someone who is not british or british based...... Just setting it straight :blush:

Phone the number on this page and listen to the message.

http://contactus.sky.com/uk/sky-broadband/problems-with-sky-broadband

The other number I have for Sky is 08000963624. Same message.

Now, unless you have some magic number I don't know about, there is no Sky broadband support by telephone between 23:00 and 07:00
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you apply online, if your payments for the first two months are satisfactory you automatically receive it after 60 days.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current contract with BT still has a few months to run but I'm looking around now.
    I know that Sky blocks services like 1899 and 18185 but does Plusnet?
    http://www.1899.com/index2.php
    So many things to consider
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    mac2708 wrote: »
    My current contract with BT still has a few months to run but I'm looking around now.
    I know that Sky blocks services like 1899 and 18185 but does Plusnet?
    http://www.1899.com/index2.php
    So many things to consider
    Plusnet do not have their own telephone network (unlike Sky!) - they use BT's (who actually own Plusnet!) - so it is pretty certain that things which work from BT will continue with them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I can only say that in the last 6 weeks my broadband speeds have been appaling with plusnet my estimated line speed of 52Mbs has never been achieved, the 38 Mbs on startup was accompanied by the most appaling whine and scratching on the phone line, the 15-30 minute call wait is appaling, the auto helper 'Jess' is rubbish the line was finally cleared when Open Reach found the pole terminal totally corroded, open reach cannot be reached by the individual only the ISP or phone provider so more plusnet call waiting.
    Today my broadband speed as checked with the BT wholesale line checker was 8 Mbs sky normal 'slow' broadband achieved 7Mbs I am now stuck on an 18 month contract with Plusnet!!!!!
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Ofcom requires ISPs to offer customers the choice to move to a different package if line speeds are not as expected. You should contact Plusnet regarding this.
    If the problem is linked to your BT Openreach line or the infrastructure that serves it, then changing supplier is not likely to help - as it's coming down the same line which appears to have the problem.
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Go through topcashback.

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/plusnet_broadband/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just experienced the worst customer service from Plusnet that I've ever encountered from a broadband provider, way worse than anything with Talk Talk, who now have pretty good customer service.

Anyway, i tried to apply online for Plusnet's broadband and phone package with £50 cashback. Rang Plusnet customer services and spoke to 2 different advisors, neither of whom knew anything about the $50 cashback and basically implied I was lying, claiming this must be an offer through a 3rd party. I stated I had received an email from them about the cashback, and they told me to take a screenshot of it and send it to them. I said this was unacceptable. Eventually, after over 50 minutes on the phone, they were informed by their manager that I was correct and apologised. Dreadful service.

If I'd known how bad things were going to be I would never have gone with Plusnet. The complaints procedure is also inadequate. Complaints can't be made by phone but have to be in writing - even Talk Tlak have a phone complaints department.

My advice - AVOID PLUSNET!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in here and asking but I am looking at plus net and have just seen your post is there a catch with this cash back? Do you still did get the discount off the broadband for the first year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Been with them years, and well satisfied. There will always be some dissatisfied folk and inexperienced service staff ( a lot of new ones lately).

PN has a very good members forum not run by PN, but with considerable helpful staff input. IMO, best of all that they permit negative feed back and really try ( mostly succeeding) to solve problems.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyns_t wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in here and asking but I am looking at plus net and have just seen your post is there a catch with this cash back? Do you still did get the discount off the broadband for the first year

Never ever go for a deal based on cashback, cashback is never guranteed and just lately sites such as Topcashback are weaseling out of paying up.
    Only go for the offer if even without cashback it is better for your needs.
  • JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been with them years, and well satisfied. There will always be some dissatisfied folk and inexperienced service staff ( a lot of new ones lately).

PN has a very good members forum not run by PN, but with considerable helpful staff input. IMO, best of all that they permit negative feed back and really try ( mostly succeeding) to solve problems.

Totally agree with you. Have also been with them years and very satisfied. If you have a problem, it's nice to be able to speak to a help centre actually based in this country, with helpful people.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When a relative wanted to go on the internet for the first time, I suggested she use PlusNet.
    The only problem we had was that they sent setup instructions by email. As ( obviously ) we had not yet setup the internet connection, we could not read them. That was a bit bizarre.
    Somehow ( I can't remember how ), I managed to setup the internet connection and email program. Then, when we had already done it, we could read the instructions!
    I think all ISPs presume that their customers are switching ISP, not going on-line for the first time.
    Other than the above, PlusNet has been fine. They even suggested that my relative bought a cheaper monthly contact than I had suggested, which proved to be good advice.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N.Dean wrote: »
    I think all ISPs presume that their customers are switching ISP, not going on-line for the first time.
    I guess unless new build 95% of customers will be swapping.
    I think IPS assume that for the 5% of new customers you have a smart phone so can either read on the phone or can create a hot spot for a computer.
  • N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I guess unless new build 95% of customers will be swapping.
    I think IPS assume that for the 5% of new customers you have a smart phone so can either read on the phone or can create a hot spot for a computer.

We had neither, so we asked them to post the setup details, but they didn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Never ever go for a deal based on cashback, cashback is never guranteed and just lately sites such as Topcashback are weaseling out of paying up.

You either haven't read or have misunderstood my previous post. The £50 cashback was an internal offer by Plusnet themselves, not a third party offer. It has now finished though.

My existing provider Talk Talk made me a much better offer though, and combined with the dreadful customer service from Plusnet I mentioned in my previous post it was an easy decision to stay with them.