Why do so many people need blackberrys?

Comments

• WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I brought my Blackberry because it was useful to me, not because everyone else has one. I use it because for. £18 a month I get unlimited texts, unlimited internet, 100 minutes plus work and university emails direct to my phone as well as facebook updates meaning I spend less time on the computer and is therefore more time productive. However I do see the point about school kids having them, parents who give their children Blackberries or any contract phone for that matter have more money than sense, though this comes from someone who got a fiver a week pocket money in 6th form, to include bus fares, and no EMA so what do I know :p However everything I now have is because I've had to work to afford it and if you want something badly (ie money) its up to you to go get it, and for that I am grateful mummy and daddy didn't pay for everything for me.
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    poppitypop wrote: »
    Actually that is not too far off the truth. The iphone is an amazing computer for apps and games, but don't expect stability when actually making calls as its not that good. I have problems with probably 1 in 10 calls.

Unless I've not been in signal I have always been able to make a call on mine...
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyresa wrote: »
    ooooh you have the white? How long have you had it and what's the dirt retention on it like?

I want the 9700, and would like it in white, but if it gets grey quickly, I may have to stick with black.

I've only had it just over a month and its still spotless:) It looks really nice and I like that its a bit different from the norm:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    You can also send pics to Blackberry Messenger contacts for free, instead of paying 20p - 35p per mms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    It's actually not! I don't want one, they annoy me. I've had a go on one, and they're too complicated, and made for people with teeny tiny fingers.

I'm not complaining about that. If you make good use of it and earnt the money for it. These are 17 year old giris who have one because "daddy bought it", or "daddy pays for it" :rolleyes:

or maybe they have a job and saved up for it?
    just a thought :rolleyes:
    But WHY! They don't need a business phone at all! It's like they're all part of some cult, and sit around BBMing each other when they're sat about a foot away from each other. What's wrong with a normal standard phone?

Ever thought that they're not BBMing each other, but people in other schools/areas?
    I'll often text my mate who goes to a different college when I'm in our com with my friends, and we'll be texting boyfriends/girlfriends.
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    BB Messenger doesn't use up their text allocation, and the reason they are using it while sat next to each other is so that they can bitch about the person who has a LG phone giving them dirty looks without them knowing ;).

I remember back in the early 90s taking the piss out of the computer science geeks all sat in the computer room at uni and all using their terminals to send chat messages to each other (while playing MUDs in another terminal window) rather than talking.

Now it just looks like they were ahead of the pack.

This post amused me. We'll do that, but have to pay cos most of us don't have BBS. Otherwise we type it and pass it subtly :p

And before I'm accused of having a BB, I've got a Nokia X6, which is mainly a music phone so perfect for me. The email function doesnt seem to work atm, but I'll work it out!
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I've only had it just over a month and its still spotless:) It looks really nice and I like that its a bit different from the norm:)

Thanks, if it gets dirty I'll use a baby wipe to clean it, they clean everything!:D

I get to renew on Thursday, can't wait :D (although my 8900 has been a really good phone too!)
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Why do so many people need blackberrys? "

They don't, and if they were honest, they don't need their mobile 'phones either.
    Everywhere I look, people (especially girls) have their mobile clamped to their ears or their eyes locked firmly onto their text screen. They check their phones every 30 seconds, just in case some life-or-death message has been left.
    For God's sake, just leave it! You are not so important that people have to have access to you 24 hours a day. It'll wait!
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    :mad: There's a big group of girls in my year who sit on the common room "BBM'ing" each other,

Penis extension?

Chicks with dicks. :eek:

Wonder if the OP knows this. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,940
    Forum Member
    :mad: There's a big group of girls in my year who sit on the common room "BBM'ing" each other, it's like, for goodness sake, SPEAK to each other, you're about a foot away from each other. You're 17/18, why do you need a business phone? what's the point? I'm happy enough with my little LG slidey phone. I was perfectly happy with my brick - no colour, no camera, nothing! I only got rid of it because it stopped making calls and receving texts, it was over 10 years old! My dad had it before me. Apologies for the rant, it just annoys me :mad:

You don't need your little LG slide phone, either. What's wrong with carrier pigeon, or smoke signals?

Kids these days. :rolleyes:

And yeah, I'm sensing the green-eyed monster here, too.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    "Why do so many people need blackberrys? "

They don't, and if they were honest, they don't need their mobile 'phones either.
    Everywhere I look, people (especially girls) have their mobile clamped to their ears or their eyes locked firmly onto their text screen. They check their phones every 30 seconds, just in case some life-or-death message has been left.
    For God's sake, just leave it! You are not so important that people have to have access to you 24 hours a day. It'll wait!

A mobile phone is pretty useful, but I know what you mean. But then if we always thought that then we would never get anywhere.
    I went off yesterday for a day out and I turned the phone off for a while as I did not want to be disturbed.

But I did use it now and again to posts silly messages to my facebook, just because I could. Only by text message mind you as I can't and don't really want to access the net on my phone.

But I can do without my phone, but just nice to know that if my Dad have a problem he can get in touch with me quickly
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    poppitypop wrote: »
    Actually that is not too far off the truth. The iphone is an amazing computer for apps and games, but don't expect stability when actually making calls as its not that good. I have problems with probably 1 in 10 calls.

It's good for net surfing as well! I don't have an iphone but I've got an ipod touch so i'm familiar with the apps and internet stuff. only annoying thing with that is having to rely on wifi hotspots all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »

I've got the whiteberry too. Its gorgeous as it's more pearl than just a matt white. My only complaint is that the blackberry slipcase gets dirty very quickly as it's white too but to be honest, I think that adds character :D!

I have a feeling a BBM PIN thread is going to start soon somewhere on DS haha!
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    :mad: There's a big group of girls in my year who sit on the common room "BBM'ing" each other, it's like, for goodness sake, SPEAK to each other, you're about a foot away from each other. You're 17/18, why do you need a business phone? what's the point? I'm happy enough with my little LG slidey phone. I was perfectly happy with my brick - no colour, no camera, nothing! I only got rid of it because it stopped making calls and receving texts, it was over 10 years old! My dad had it before me. Apologies for the rant, it just annoys me :mad:

Coming from someone with over two thousand posts isnt it a bit of a piss take to suiggest they communicate traditionally?

I have a blackberry, its a business tool for email and phone. Its the best email device going and its reliable. That said I have no problem with people who have one using one and suggesting everyone should adopt a budget LG "slidey phone" is a bit silly:rolleyes:
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refusion wrote: »
    You don't need your little LG slide phone, either. What's wrong with carrier pigeon, or smoke signals?

Kids these days. :rolleyes:

And yeah, I'm sensing the green-eyed monster here, too.

I bought my LG slidey 2nd hand for next to nothing, and it costs me around £4 per month to run. Don't need a Blackberry or iPhone at all. Or an iPad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My LG broke, so I just bought a half decent working mobile from Cash Convertors.. Think it was a junkies phone, when I turned it on a wee alarm came up for Monday.. it said sign on... Then on the Wednesday it said GIRO..pmsl (true)
    personally, I'd rather have a decent telly than a Blackberry. those things are way to fiddley
    Forum Member
    KBBJ wrote: »
    I bought my LG slidey 2nd hand for next to nothing, and it costs me around £4 per month to run. Don't need a Blackberry or iPhone at all. Or an iPad.

Need doesnt really come into it though does it:rolleyes:

And since your phone only costs you £4 per month its pretty obvious you dont really "need" a mobile.
  • SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer strawberries and raspberries, but there's always room for my beloved blackcurrants and maybe even some blueberries.

As for phones, an old Nokia brick does me fine.
    Forum Member
    Steve™ wrote: »
    Coming from someone with over two thousand posts isnt it a bit of a piss take to suiggest they communicate traditionally?

You might have a tiny glimmer of a point if you didn't have well over 4700 posts yourself.
    And since your phone only costs you £4 per month its pretty obvious you dont really "need" a mobile.

You care a lot about other people and their phones, don't you?
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people want a Blackberry and their dad is happy to buy one for them - how do you know their dads buy them for them? - let them. They look pretty cool. Why don't you save up and buy one too? Maybe stop the jealousy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    counting the months down till i can get another one , 18 months to go , damn the 24 month contract :o:D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure what a Blackberry is.........:o

Why is it different to any other mobile phone ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what a Blackberry is.........:o

Why is it different to any other mobile phone ?

'push' e-mail service :) , plus they are just damn :cool: , that should stir it up a bit :D
    Forum Member
    Refusion wrote: »
    You might have a tiny glimmer of a point if you didn't have well over 4700 posts yourself.

You care a lot about other people and their phones, don't you?

Get a grip :rolleyes: I'm not the one complaining about people communicating via an electronic device...which was sort of my point...which you clearly missed.

Take your rhetoric somewhere else:D
  • blackdogblackblackdogblack Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simply cause its easier to type on something with a qwerty style keyboard.
    Forum Member
    Get a grip :rolleyes: I'm not the one complaining about people communicating via an electronic device...which was sort of my point...which you clearly missed.

I think got your point perfectly clearly, thank you. Was it not a pathetic attempt at putting the OP down based on her post count, then?