Options

Would you rather Peggy Died?

Comments

• Options
    ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    Oh please. Of course she will be back. It's why they didn't kill her. Mark my words. Whether it be 2, 3 or 5 years she will appear again. Just like Frank always used to every few years.
  • Options
    Pop_ArtPop_Art Posts: 5,116
    Forum Member
    Oh please. Of course she will be back. It's why they didn't kill her. Mark my words. Whether it be 2, 3 or 5 years she will appear again. Just like Frank always used to every few years.

Agree she will be back. Good example with Frank. I could see Ronnie and Roxy going on holiday and Peggy being there or something like that. Just for a few episodes. I also agree that with the upcoming Mitchell kids it is wise keeping their gran alive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

thats what I was saying, I dont think she will die.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Yes I would, or at least one fatality.
  • Options
    casa_novacasa_nova Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    They could of at least killed off some of the others that are due to leave the soap soon rather than them all have seperate exits. Peggy and Stacey Jean however I would of still had surviving because they can bring them back then.

Ones that should of died -

Minty
    Billy Mitchell
    Charlie Slatter - giving Kat and Alfie a reason to return.
    Adam (Wheelchair guy)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    The only thing is if she doesn't come back, and she might not considering she's 73 this year, killing Peggy off screen would be so disappointing. If she does just leave, it has less effect as she has left before - leaving the Pub and Phil, this time is not much different.
  • Options
    Pop_ArtPop_Art Posts: 5,116
    Forum Member
    Well they did plan to kill Jean didn't they but changed their minds as they thought Stacey had been through too much hurt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    julijules wrote: »
    The only thing is if she doesn't come back, and she might not considering she's 73 this year, killing Peggy off screen would be so disappointing. If she does just leave, it has less effect as she has left before - leaving the Pub and Phil, this time is not much different.

Bab's is very fit for 73 though. She could return in 10 years time just to die on screen the way Ethel did. So keeping the door open for now is the right decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pop_Art wrote: »
    Well they did plan to kill Jean didn't they but changed their minds as they thought Stacey had been through too much hurt.

This was in the News of the world but was it really true? I have my doubts because Jean and Stacey are both on screen until Xmas so why would they have got rid of Jean so soon before Stacey?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted her to die in the fire tbh. I'm fed up to the back teeth of the Mitchell clan which has turned into a parody of what they were like when they first arrived.:mad:

I think it would have been more dramatic if she had died saving Phil and how he would have coped afterwards without her, realising what he had done as well as having to face Ben with all the guilt.:( Would he have "manned" up or drowned his sorrows??

He is the only "original" Mitchell left in EE, and as he is staying, there should be some life altering paths ahead for him instead of the same old Phil, red faced and shouting at everyone. The only way I could see him changing and evolving as a character is to have a huge event as his mother's death and his guilt as a catalyst for perhaps a quieter but stronger Phil who might actually grow through his struggles.:)

As it is now, it's just going to be Ronnie, more baby storylines and now Kat and Aflie taking over while Phil either descends further into drugged oblivion or sobers up and falls off the wagon further down the track, same old, same old imo.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bab's is very fit for 73 though. She could return in 10 years time just to die on screen the way Ethel did. So keeping the door open for now is the right decision.

True, it's not impossible. But do you think her death would have more of an effect on the first or second generation Mitchells?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    julijules wrote: »
    True, it's not impossible. But do you think her death would have more of an effect on the first or second generation Mitchells?

Well it would all depend because if it was a big coming back to die story then who is to say Ross and Daniella wouldn't also return for it. (This is going off the assumption all current Mitchell's are still there). So it would still have the effect as the whole family could be reunited for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    You never know when she walks out of the charred remains of her pub tonight (the sign which we saw swing omminioulsy last night) might just fall off and kill her DUFF DUFF DUFF now that would be a way to go !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well it would all depend because if it was a big coming back to die story then who is to say Ross and Daniella wouldn't also return for it. (This is going off the assumption all current Mitchell's are still there). So it would still have the effect as the whole family could be reunited for it.

If that could happen then perhaps I would prefer that. But, it's all too dependant on too many other factors. Ross Kemp has a contract till 2011 with Sky now if he renews that or pursues other avenues instead of Eastenders, so his return is dubious. And Daniella is here at the moment, a guarentee of two out of three of Peggys children on-screen with a death now feels more concrete for an overall end to the character, than a hopeful wish for a few years that may or may not occur.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I very rarely EE, but I watched it last night in the hope that Peggy & Phil would die. :(
  • Options
    Britt_IshraelBritt_Ishrael Posts: 1,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have preferred it if she had died in her beloved pub. As it is, there is always the danger of her returning one day
  • Options
    Britt_IshraelBritt_Ishrael Posts: 1,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never know when she walks out of the charred remains of her pub tonight (the sign which we saw swing omminioulsy last night) might just fall off and kill her DUFF DUFF DUFF now that would be a way to go !!

We are amused :D
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    I wanted Peggy to die :o
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have preferred it if she had died in her beloved pub. As it is, there is always the danger of her returning one day

Agreed:(
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephwob wrote: »
    we did get some stuff out of it though, start of the ronnie reveal, stacey telling ryan he was the dad, maybe a start to a new syed and family storyline? it wasn't just for the set really.

What is the Ronnie reveal?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Cant believe she didnt die.
  • Options
    charliestubbscharliestubbs Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed with her exit, I thought her going down with her pub would have been more poignant and dramatic, just walking out when her famaily needed her most was an anti climax to me.

I think her legacy would be ruined anyway if she pops up returning every few years....

Steve McFadden was brilliant in that episode though.
  • Options
    Official DivaOfficial Diva Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Nope. It leaves the door open for much more if needed just like with Frank and Dot. Neither got killed off when they left and both had highly successful comebacks. Then you have Kat, Sharon, Bianca, Janine, Carol. None got killed off when they could have been and all added greatly on their returns. (well I'm assuming Kat will as, well she will. :p )

Killing characters off for no real reason other than to get ratings is a cheap trick that damages future development. Peggy will be back, even if its just to die on screen in 8 years time, and it will be damn successful return as well..
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until the other day I thought Peggy was due to die in the fire. Then the other day I heard a rumour that she was taking a 2-year break from EastEnders. So by Thursday I knew she would survive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    It seems to me like the writers wanted the focus to be on Peggy's reasons for leaving rather than the way in which she went.

Whilst watching the episode i wasn't that impressed and felt such a big character should have gone out in a blaze of glory (or just blaze full stop) but thinking about it now, her exit was perfect when you consider the whole storyline and not just her walking down the street after saying goodbye. I like that such a loud mouth character responsible for so much drama on the square over the years should quietly slip out the back door undetected.

Killing her off would have been too predictable, and killing anybody else would have taken too much attention away from the Vic going and Peggy leaving (though i did think Stacey was going to die as i knew she was leaving but had no idea when).