Options

HDR 1000S - Failed Recordings EVERY NIGHT

Comments

• Options
    Edward DrexelEdward Drexel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Few more missed ones:

Supersized Earth - last Weds (a week ago) BBC1-HD series link (previous and subsequent episodes recorded okay)

Portillo's Euro. Rail Journeys - last Thurs (a week ago) BBC-HD series link (previous and subsequent episodes recorded okay)

The Sky At Night - tonight BBC4 series link (previous episodes recorded okay)
  • Options
    Edward DrexelEdward Drexel Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Supersized Earth - last Weds (a week ago) BBC1-HD series link (previous and subsequent episodes recorded okay)
    I decided to have another go at recording this on the BBC-HD repeat at Saturday tea-time - guess what? That was missed as well....
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I decided to have another go at recording this on the BBC-HD repeat at Saturday tea-time - guess what? That was missed as well....

Edward can you try setting a daily power on at 05:00 (say BBC1-HD) and a power off at 05:15. Report on any further failures.

Regards

Graham
  • Options
    ClemClem Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When recordings get missed, is it because the EPG isn't populated? I ask, as sometimes on my Pannie Freesat recorder I've seen an issue where for some reason the EPG has large gaps in it, so series-linked stuff is shown as 'not found'. The only way to fix that is a complete power cycle. I wonder if that's the same issue here.

Clem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clem wrote: »
    When recordings get missed, is it because the EPG isn't populated? I ask, as sometimes on my Pannie Freesat recorder I've seen an issue where for some reason the EPG has large gaps in it, so series-linked stuff is shown as 'not found'. The only way to fix that is a complete power cycle. I wonder if that's the same issue here.

Clem

It's not easy to tell, if you boot the box and look epg refresh is so fast that you can't tell. Only way is to disconnect the cables and boot to check the current epg cached contents. Unfortunately this stops further recording until the box is again booted with the cables connected (the epg and series recording shedules update but produce failed recordings)

My box left untouched with a single everyday repeating programme (BBC1-HD Breakfast) only recorded 4 of the 8 with a very odd pattern. No failed recordings either. On boot after 8 days the epg and schedule was up to date. Go figure :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I have had my HDR 1000 S for several weeks now.
    And a relative of mine also bought one at the same time.

I have found a way to guarantee to miss a recording.
    Simply leave the box in Standby over night.
    And you must leave it in standby all day.
    It will then fail to record the first program you have asked it to record that day (as long as you have left it in standby).

I have used a London postcode.
    I only record HD channels (always record in the Evening).

The fault really looks like a EPG fault.

What happens is, around 16 mins before the program is meant to start, you can hear the hard drive spin up.
    Then it stays spinning but does not bother to record the program.
    Does not matter if it's CH4 of BBC HD etc.. it messes up.

Even if you switch the box on 10 mins before the program is meant to start, it still fails to record.

But if you switch the box on well before, no problem.
    I also think if you switch the box on in the daytime (for a while then switch it back in to standby), no problem in the evening?

Also if you have several programs set to record (in the same evening), it will fail to record the first one (if left in standby all day), but it will record all the others!

I have found this fault 100% reliable, it has happened to me so many times on so many different programs on different channels.
    It's not an intermittent fault, it happens every time.

I'm currently thinking about setting the box to switch on at 6pm everyday to see if that fixes it.
    Or just ask it to record a program on series record that is on before any of my other programs that I do not care about.

I do use the box every evening for a few hours.

I do have power save on by default.

My Signal and Quality is very, very good.
    I have a Zone 2 dish (because I like having perfect picture quality when it rains) and live in england.
    The dish + lnb is less than 2 years old and never had any reception problems on this box or my old Humax recorder (which I got with the dish).

What is my Guess?
    Something happens in the middle of the night.
    The EPG probably gets erased.
    Then it fails to reload in time for the first recording.
    Even though it spins the hard drive up around 16 mins before the program starts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I'm having the problem with tuner 2 showing no connection most (but not all) of the time on the HDR1000S. If I swap the cables around, tuner 2 still shows no signal (but tuner 1 shows a signal).

Both cables work fine together on my old Foxsat box, so it's not a problem with the cables.

Most of my recordings have failed while I was away on holiday have failed. I've managed to download them from Pirate Bay but this box is too unreliable and I'm probably going to return it to John Lewis for a refund.

Is this a bug or hardware fault?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnsat wrote: »
    I have had my HDR 1000 S for several weeks now.
    And a relative of mine also bought one at the same time.

I have found a way to guarantee to miss a recording.
    It will then fail to record the first program you have asked it to record that day (as long as you have left it in standby).

I have used a London postcode.
    I only record HD channels (always record in the Evening).

The fault really looks like a EPG fault.

What happens is, around 16 mins before the program is meant to start, you can hear the hard drive spin up.
    Then it stays spinning but does not bother to record the program.
    Does not matter if it's CH4 of BBC HD etc.. it messes up.

Even if you switch the box on 10 mins before the program is meant to start, it still fails to record.

But if you switch the box on well before, no problem.
    I also think if you switch the box on in the daytime (for a while then switch it back in to standby), no problem in the evening?

Also if you have several programs set to record (in the same evening), it will fail to record the first one (if left in standby all day), but it will record all the others!

I have found this fault 100% reliable, it has happened to me so many times on so many different programs on different channels.
    It's not an intermittent fault, it happens every time.

I'm currently thinking about setting the box to switch on at 6pm everyday to see if that fixes it.
    Or just ask it to record a program on series record that is on before any of my other programs that I do not care about.

I do use the box every evening for a few hours.

I do have power save on by default.

My Signal and Quality is very, very good.
    I have a Zone 2 dish (because I like having perfect picture quality when it rains) and live in england.
    The dish + lnb is less than 2 years old and never had any reception problems on this box or my old Humax recorder (which I got with the dish).

What is my Guess?
    Something happens in the middle of the night.
    The EPG probably gets erased.
    Then it fails to reload in time for the first recording.
    Even though it spins the hard drive up around 16 mins before the program starts.

Found similar. Since I set a power on 05:00 BBC1-HD and power off 05:15 problem seems to be resolved. Test recording BBC1-HD Breakfast. Leaving it in sby for 8 days gives very odd results.

The cached epg is intact though as a boot without cables confirms.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62918249&postcount=56
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patrick1 wrote: »
    I'm having the problem with tuner 2 showing no connection most (but not all) of the time on the HDR1000S. If I swap the cables around, tuner 2 still shows no signal (but tuner 1 shows a signal).

Both cables work fine together on my old Foxsat box, so it's not a problem with the cables.

Most of my recordings have failed while I was away on holiday have failed. I've managed to download them from Pirate Bay but this box is too unreliable and I'm probably going to return it to John Lewis for a refund.

Is this a bug or hardware fault?

The unit only displays active tuners. It is OK if, at the foot of the signal screen, it confirms two tuner operation.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..............I have found a way to guarantee to miss a recording.
    Just to complete the picture - can you post signal quality on channel 407 please and confirm that two cable operation is in operation on the signal test page.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    The unit only displays active tuners. It is OK if, at the foot of the signal screen, it confirms two tuner operation.

Okay, thanks for that - seems like a poorly designed screen.

That doesn't explain the failed recordings (all on BBC & Ch.4 HD) over the past 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    patrick1 wrote: »
    Okay, thanks for that - seems like a poorly designed screen.

That doesn't explain the failed recordings (all on BBC & Ch.4 HD) over the past 3 weeks.

See post 59 and also Repassacs request to check signal strength and quality on the Freesat home transponder (Ch 407). It's very common for Sky users to have a dish aligned so that Eutelsat 28A (28.5E) has very poor reception. Doesn't matter so much on a Sky bos who's epg comes from 28.2E
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My stupid box has started not recording scheduled programmes today as well. I know this issue has been resolved on here but would anyone mind giving me the dumbarse guide to sorting it out again please as I have read the thread and don't know if any of applies to me.

I was watching a recording at the times these shows were on so don't know if thats relevant? I have also added another programme as a test and that is now been picked up and recording has just started!

The channels that were supposed to record today were bbc hd and cbs drama.

Also this channel 407 thats been mentioned is coming up as fashion one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    My stupid box has started not recording scheduled programmes today as well. I know this issue has been resolved on here but would anyone mind giving me the dumbarse guide to sorting it out again please as I have read the thread and don't know if any of applies to me.

I was watching a recording at the times these shows were on so don't know if thats relevant? I have also added another programme as a test and that is now been picked up and recording has just started!

The channels that were supposed to record today were bbc hd and cbs drama.

Also this channel 407 thats been mentioned is coming up as fashion one!

It is Fashion One, the reason this is mentioned is it's transmitted from the freesat home transponder (the source of the epg). When tuned to it the idea is to check what sort of signal you have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah OK.

So 407
    Menu
    System
    Diagnostics
    Tuner 1 85 strength 80 quality.
    Same for tuner 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah OK.

So 407
    Menu
    System
    Diagnostics
    Tuner 1 85 strength 80 quality.
    Same for tuner 2

That seems to be OK. Re the other issue, the situation with a box left in sby is unclear at the moment. In the mean time try setting a power on every day on say BBC1-HD at 05:00 and a power off at 05:15. So far (early days) seems to have worked for me. No guarantees but can't hurt. The problem seems to be related to a box left in sby overnight.
  • Options
    IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    In the mean time try setting a power on every day on say BBC1-HD at 05:00 and a power off at 05:15. So far (early days) seems to have worked for me. No guarantees but can't hurt. The problem seems to be related to a box left in sby overnight.

What if you have a series link set for earlier in the day, i.e. 11:00 in the morning ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IQ1 wrote: »
    What if you have a series link set for earlier in the day, i.e. 11:00 in the morning ?

Recording doesn't seem to work, the box appears to need to be booted but not recording. By all means try it out though. I had a series link set for Breakfast every day, you can't get much earlier than that. Over 8 days only recorded 4 ot them instead of 8.
  • Options
    IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Recording doesn't seem to work, the box appears to need to be booted but not recording. By all means try it out though. I had a series link set for Breakfast every day, you can't get much earlier than that. Over 8 days only recorded 4 ot them instead of 8.

Oh.........:(

Do you happen to know if Humax are aware of this, it would be nice to know they are trying to replicate it and provide (those affected) with a fix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IQ1 wrote: »
    Oh.........:(

Do you happen to know if Humax are aware of this, it would be nice to know they are trying to replicate it and provide (those affected) with a fix.

Yes they are aware of the problem. So is Freesat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That seems to be OK. Re the other issue, the situation with a box left in sby is unclear at the moment. In the mean time try setting a power on every day on say BBC1-HD at 05:00 and a power off at 05:15. So far (early days) seems to have worked for me. No guarantees but can't hurt. The problem seems to be related to a box left in sby overnight.

Don't think we put ours on standby unless its something that happens automatically :s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think we put ours on standby unless its something that happens automatically :s

The box goes into sby after 3 hrs without a button press on the remote, unless you turn off the option in the menus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Just to complete the picture - can you post signal quality on channel 407 please and confirm that two cable operation is in operation on the signal test page.

I can record BBC One HD and ITV HD etc.. at the same time.
    So both tuners are being used (2 cable is in operation).
    I will double check 407 for you within the next 24 hrs,
    but I'm pretty sure it is fine, I've watched a lot of the music channels (on the non Astra satellite) for nearly 2 years without any signs of picture break up etc..

I even used Silicon grease to stop the moisture getting in the F connectors at the LNB and used the proper full thickness quality (double copper shielded) satellite cable.
    And I did remember to pull down the rain cover on the LNB (very easy to forget, a Sky installer forgot on one of my neighbors dishes).

MK4 Raven Zone 2 Dish and matching MK4 LNB used.

I have also restored my box to factory default several times to try and fix the fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can record BBC One HD and ITV HD etc.. at the same time.
    So both tuners are being used (2 cable is in operation).
    I will double check 407 for you within the next 24 hrs,
    but I'm pretty sure it is fine, I've watched a lot of the music channels (on the non Astra satellite) for nearly 2 years without any signs of picture break up etc..

I even used Silicon grease to stop the moisture getting in the F connectors at the LNB and used the proper full thickness quality (double copper shielded) satellite cable.
    And I did remember to pull down the rain cover on the LNB (very easy to forget, a Sky installer forgot on one of my neighbors dishes).

MK4 Raven Zone 2 Dish and matching MK4 LNB used.

I have also restored my box to factory default several times to try and fix the fault.

Can you set a power on timer at 05:00 (Say BBC1-HD) and a power off at 05:15. It would be helpfull if you report if all your timers now work or if you get failures which recordings are causing the problems ?

Thanks

Graham
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you set a power on timer at 05:00 (Say BBC1-HD) and a power off at 05:15. It would be helpfull if you report if all your timers now work or if you get failures which recordings are causing the problems ?

Thanks

Graham

Will do, but I will probably give it 30 mins to make sure.

Also I think I remember that the failed recording problem does not care if the program is on series record or not.