How can I do everything like some people?

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
Forum Member
Seems the popular and successful blokes (and women) have a large range of things they do - and do well.

Deep sea diving, helping build an orphanage, raising money for charity, weekend horse riding, spending time with friends, play an instrument, good in the kitchen, good hosts, walking the dogs, time to listen AND hold down a good job.

I am working hard at just the job part - and in free time is shopping and a keeping the house clean and what have you. Weekends maybe a family visit for tea.

How do these types sort it all out? I'd love to ride a horse through the surf and seemingly moments later have a huge spread prepared for all the guests that were coming over and then entertain them with witty stories and stylish dancing. Is it possible to do? How do I start? I just don't know.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure they are doing ALL these things at the same time?
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all seems like far too much effort to me. I don't want to be popular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really want to ride a horse in the sea?

If it's any consolation, it didn't work out for Anthea Turner.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who are we talking about exactly?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »

I think they mean people llike Helen Skelton who can do everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep sea diving - this is done on holiday but pics are posted to social network sites throughout the year to make people think you do it on weekends.

Helping build an orphanage - instant Paypal charity payment, takes 2 minutes tops.

Raising money for charity - take something unwanted to the charity shop on the way to...

Weekend horse riding - couple of hours a few weekends a year when the weather is good.

Spending time with friends - take them horseriding.

Play an instrument - unfortunately this you had to learn when you were a child.

Good in the kitchen/good hosts - buy in prepared food and tip into your own pans/make sure there is plenty of booze.

Walking the dogs - do this on the way to the shops.

Time to listen - with your family at the weekends.

Hold down a good job - you seem to have this covered.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »

Look around at the popular people you know, listen to the successful Mums talking - they are all at it. I hear people talk about taking the children on a pottery class and then in the same day organizing a spread in the evening and still have time to help an ill neighbour and comfort them with grapes and time. I just can't compete.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,243
    Forum Member
    Rockville wrote: »
    Deep sea diving - this is done on holiday but pics are posted to social network sites throughout the year to make people think you do it on weekends.

Helping build an orphanage - instant Paypal charity payment, takes 2 minutes tops.

Raising money for charity - take something unwanted to the charity shop on the way to...

Weekend horse riding - couple of hours a few weekends a year when the weather is good.

Spending time with friends - take them horseriding.

Play an instrument - unfortunately this you had to learn when you were a child.

Good in the kitchen/good hosts - buy in prepared food and tip into your own pans/make sure there is plenty of booze.

Walking the dogs - do this on the way to the shops.

Time to listen - with your family at the weekends.

Hold down a good job - you seem to have this covered.

Cheers for that - you made it sound easy!:) There's hope for me yet then!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you may be confusing dreams with reality, like Father Dougal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Nothing you have mentioned is difficult to do.
    You just have to make time and effort for it.
    Really not that hard.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shared a room for a while with a middle class lad. I remember remarking how James Bond could do all kind of things.

He said you have to remember that it's all part of a middle class upbringing. The horse riding, the skiiing lessons, the diving - your parents bring you up to know how to do all these things during school trips and family holidays.

Then you just need enough money to employ cleaners and caterers and jobs a good 'un.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to say motivation and time management too. Having the money to do things helps too. I would never be able to afford diving and horse riding as a hobby.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    When you have sufficient money to actually do all that stuff you also have sufficient money to practice until you get good at it, or pay somebody to do it for you.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody does all that at the same time, not even if they are retired or minted.

You're talking about accumulated experiences over time.

Also, some people work crazy hours for low wages then have to add in the commute, home life, kids etc, they simply don't have the time. It's normal.
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have quite a few hobbies myself.

I play the guitar when I have time

I like riding my bike if I have the time

I race my kit car now & again

I read a lot of history books, mainly about wars

I can cook reasonably well

I have telescope because I am interested in astronomy

:D:D:D
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Employing a cleaner a few hours a week seems to leave the people I know with loads of free time.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what good does riding a horse do anyone, all you are likely to do is break your neck and become a burden on the NHS? :cool:

stick to grafting, watching a bit of telly and going to sleep, that's enough for anyone to be getting on with :cool:
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an aspirational image that some people like to portray they have achieved.
    A skiing holiday once or twice a year turns into ' We like to go skiing'.
    An hours horse riding lesson on a Saturday morning becomes, 'We enjoy horse riding on a weekend'.

Lots of money to pay a nanny to ferry the kids about to all these various 'mind broadening' activities, or enough money for one parent to stay at home and play the perfect housewife/husband is the only way that all that can be achieved without driving yourself to Prozac.
    I know quite a few people who are on this merry-go-round and it doesn't make for a happy contented life, they are stressed to hell and regularly miserable.
    I think if you can manage to work, get the tea on the table , have time to spend a few hours at the park with the kids and still manage to read a bedtime story, you are doing just great.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Seems the popular and successful blokes (and women) have a large range of things they do - and do well.

Deep sea diving, helping build an orphanage, raising money for charity, weekend horse riding, spending time with friends, play an instrument, good in the kitchen, good hosts, walking the dogs, time to listen AND hold down a good job.

I am working hard at just the job part - and in free time is shopping and a keeping the house clean and what have you. Weekends maybe a family visit for tea.

How do these types sort it all out? I'd love to ride a horse through the surf and seemingly moments later have a huge spread prepared for all the guests that were coming over and then entertain them with witty stories and stylish dancing. Is it possible to do? How do I start? I just don't know.

You forgot "......and being a demon in the sack!"
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    A skiing holiday once or twice a year turns into ' We like to go skiing'.
    An hours horse riding lesson on a Saturday morning becomes, 'We enjoy horse riding on a weekend'.

Oh yes! I used to interview students for work placement, and the list of "hobbies" they put on the CV's was hilarious!

"Photography" meant "I own a camera"!
    "Bungee jumping" meant they'd once done it for charity.
    "Cooking" meant "I can knock up a chilli, but nothing else"!
  • Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    OP I might be wrong but it seems like you are victim of social network influence. Don't do things because people do them, Do them because you desire them and it comes within. You either are the sort of person who has the passion to continually fill your life with new things or you are not. There is no right or wrong. What is wrong is trying to be like someone you are not.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Well for a start you have to decide on priorities and get better at time management. I find that many people who claim to have no time to do things just aren't using their time very well.

Naturally, someone with young children to look after is going to have far less free time than someone who doesn't, but even then you can still find the time to do things if you really want them enough.

One of the women on my degree course had 4 young children (including one who was only 3 months old when the course started) to look after, and yet she found the time to study (getting up at 4am) and ended up getting a first. I always think of her when I start thinking that I don't have the time to do the things I want to achieve.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Look around at the popular people you know, listen to the successful Mums talking - they are all at it. I hear people talk about taking the children on a pottery class and then in the same day organizing a spread in the evening and still have time to help an ill neighbour and comfort them with grapes and time. I just can't compete.

I'm assuming that you are single at the moment, because I also find (as a single person), that all of the people I know with children, seem to have pretty busy sounding lives. I feel exhausted just listening to them. I also think that many of the 'good causes' they are running around in support of, again tend to stem from their children's schools or other parents, etc.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all, not many people really are doing all of those things, or anything like it. It's important to remember that people tend to talk about the fun things they did, and gloss over their boring weekends pottering about.

Those that do juggle lots of interesting and diverse hobbies will have the social networks in place that make it much easier. Assuming you have sufficient disposable income, it's a lot easier to go on a ski holiday or diving expedition if you have friends and family who also wish to do those things and do a lot of the organising for you.

After that, and assuming you really do want to do all of those things, it comes down to time management and prioritising. In particularly, avoiding time draining activities like faffing about on the internet and too much time watching tv. If you are one of life's procrastinators, you'll need to knock that on the head, and reassess your definition of a lazy Sunday morning.

I know people who routinely get up at their usual work time on Saturdays, and have gone out and come home with the weekly shop by 8:30am. Then they'll sit down and enjoy a bacon roll or croissant/fresh coffee etc, but not for long, because then they sort bills and do paperwork and household chores and then go and meet friends for lunch. I tend to be the person who stays in my pyjamas until just before I head out to meet friends for lunch.

I often tell myself I should do more with my time, and I probably should, but I also know I'm someone who thoroughly enjoys a quiet weekend with no commitments every now and then. I really look forward to them!:o

Then late Sunday afternoon I start to feel bad that I've hardly done anything.:rolleyes::D

Some things, like housework and shopping can be a big drain on your time, so if possible, try to do those things during the working week. If you can afford it, get a cleaner! Alternatively, decide if you really do need to do all of that cleaning every week. It's great to have a clean and tidy house, but if you are spending the weekend mountain biking, does it matter that the microwave needs a clean?:D
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, I used to think like you but then I started doing rather than thinking, the more you think how great others are the less you focus on making yourself great.