Options

PS4 can't obtain an IP address....AGAIN

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone assist here, months ago when I purchased the PS4 I could not get the wired connection working, the PS4 would not find the IP address, I can get wifi working no problem yet it’s a painfully slow download speed. At the time I found an article suggesting using public IP addresses, I’m pretty sure one was the Google IP address and this obviously worked and I could connect by LAN and it worked pretty well for months, now it’s happened again and it won’t find the IP address and nothing I try will work. I live in a shared house with no access to the router other than to reboot so I can’t assign a static IP as online guides suggest and I can’t find the previous suggestion about public IP’s anywhere?

Can anyone help as it’s driving me mad with the slow speeds, I can’t play games online or anything, why is Sony so bad at this, everything else connects?

PS I tried using the same IP/Subnet etc as the wifi uses and the IP passes but then it won't connect to the server, also tried wiring my laptop and then doing a IPCONFIG/ALL and using that info, again IP then passes but it won't connect to the internet!

Comments

• Options
    heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spendleb wrote: »
    Can anyone assist here, months ago when I purchased the PS4 I could not get the wired connection working, the PS4 would not find the IP address, I can get wifi working no problem yet it’s a painfully slow download speed. At the time I found an article suggesting using public IP addresses, I’m pretty sure one was the Google IP address and this obviously worked and I could connect by LAN and it worked pretty well for months, now it’s happened again and it won’t find the IP address and nothing I try will work. I live in a shared house with no access to the router other than to reboot so I can’t assign a static IP as online guides suggest and I can’t find the previous suggestion about public IP’s anywhere?

Can anyone help as it’s driving me mad with the slow speeds, I can’t play games online or anything, why is Sony so bad at this, everything else connects?

PS I tried using the same IP/Subnet etc as the wifi uses and the IP passes but then it won't connect to the server, also tried wiring my laptop and then doing a IPCONFIG/ALL and using that info, again IP then passes but it won't connect to the internet!

To me this sounds more like a PS4 issue than you LAN/WAN config. Without knowing all the details about the router, ISP etc I would consider investigating the following:

Do you know if anyone else in the property has a PS4 and if it works or if it has the same issue?

Are you able to test your PS4 elsewhere to see if it hooks up?

Do you have a data bundle on your mobile - you could try using it as a hotspot temporarily to test if that works. That could help isolate the issue.

Good luck,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers, nobody else has a PS4, the router is in the hall (massive old house) so not easy to hook up directly to a TV. I can connect through wifi with no issues (other than the slow speed) >:(
  • Options
    martytartymartytarty Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Who is the ISP?, what router is it?

Is your 'wired' connection a straight Ethernet cable running from back of the router direct to your ps4?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martytarty wrote: »
    Who is the ISP?, what router is it?

Is your 'wired' connection a straight Ethernet cable running from back of the router direct to your ps4?

It's the BT Homehub 5 and no, it's through a power adapter, had to resort to this due to the size of the house and the poor wifi signal :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm Homeplugs (powerline) -

Without knowing what brand of homeplugs you have Perhaps try resetting your home-plugs and re-pairing them?

If the problem is with the home-plugs then perhaps think about replacing them?

I have these...and they work a treat to wire up all my internet goodness in my bedroom

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA6010KIT-Powerline-Multiple-Configuration/dp/B00CMO839C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426607843&sr=8-1&keywords=gigabit+tp+link+homeplug

If it's not the home-plugs perhaps then perhaps try using different cables in the homeplugs, perhaps they are old or broken.

Or perhaps someone can check home-hub settings and check no block filters are in place or were accidentally enabled, I'm with sky and I can easily block anything with a few clicks of the mouse. I don't really know how BT works to be honest.

Hope you get it sorted and let us know if you get it working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm Homeplugs (powerline) -

Without knowing what brand of homeplugs you have Perhaps try resetting your home-plugs and re-pairing them?

If the problem is with the home-plugs then perhaps think about replacing them?

I have these...and they work a treat to wire up all my internet goodness in my bedroom

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA6010KIT-Powerline-Multiple-Configuration/dp/B00CMO839C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426607843&sr=8-1&keywords=gigabit+tp+link+homeplug

If it's not the home-plugs perhaps then perhaps try using different cables in the homeplugs, perhaps they are old or broken.

Or perhaps someone can check home-hub settings and check no block filters are in place or were accidentally enabled, I'm with sky and I can easily block anything with a few clicks of the mouse. I don't really know how BT works to be honest.

Hope you get it sorted and let us know if you get it working.

Cheers, they never worked from the first time they were paired anyway, I had to manually add an IP, looking online this a worldwide problem with the PS, about time Sony sorted it out !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers, they never worked from the first time they were paired anyway, I had to manually add an IP, looking online this a worldwide problem with the PS, about time Sony sorted it out !!

Don't know what else to suggest, anyway you can test direct Ethernet connection to the router to your ps4? this may narrow down the problem, perhaps move your ps4 to the nearest TV closest to the router, ask nicely :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've tried to google your issue,

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Problem-getting-online-on-the-PS4/td-p/42326951

Found something about the ps4 not recognising the modem,

Try going into your ps4 network settings and manually input your router/modems ip address for primary & secondary gateways, all other settings can be set to automatic, then give it a whirl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried to google your issue,

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/Problem-getting-online-on-the-PS4/td-p/42326951

Found something about the ps4 not recognising the modem,

Try going into your ps4 network settings and manually input your router/modems ip address for primary & secondary gateways, all other settings can be set to automatic, then give it a whirl.

Thanks for this, I am presuming you need to access the router to find these out though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this, I am presuming you need to access the router to find these out though?

Possibly, a router address will be something like 192.168.0.1

Try connecting your ps4 to wifi again & log the ip address's it should show your routers ip, or maybe connect a smartphone to your wifi and take a look at the connection data, the router itself may have an ip address on the back or underneath
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, a router address will be something like 192.168.0.1

Try connecting your ps4 to wifi again & log the ip address's it should show your routers ip, or maybe connect a smartphone to your wifi and take a look at the connection data, the router itself may have an ip address on the back or underneath

Yeah I tried using that, although I did populate all the addresses, maybe I should just try the IP and Subnet and leave the other address to default. I will try tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I tried using that, although I did populate all the addresses, maybe I should just try the IP and Subnet and leave the other address to default. I will try tonight.

Any luck yet mate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, whatever I try it either fails with failed to find the server or failed to connect to the internet >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are these Google DNS settings any good?

Primary:8.8.8.8
    Secondary:8.8.4.4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are these Google DNS settings any good?

Primary:8.8.8.8
    Secondary:8.8.4.4

Cheers, will try them tonight
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My PS3 has always had issues getting an IP address. Quite often I'm forced to reboot my router to solve it.