Options

As a fan of both Corrie and EE, the show that's been most consistent this year is...

teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
Forum Member
Coronation Street.

I've been gripped all year. Even through the incredibly unrealistic Gail and Joe saga, I've been looking forward to each and every instalment. That storyline, alongside Blanche's funeral, the tram crash, Jack's death, Molvin and the Lewis storyline have made Corrie for me this year.

EE, on the other hand, has been extremely touch and go. The live episode and its lead up was good and the Vic fire was OK, but that's about it. Otherwise, I've been very disappointed, especially around the World Cup and over the past few months.

I've also noticed that I discuss Corrie on here much more than I do EE. If you'd have asked me which was my favourite soap a year ago, I'd have said EastEnders. Now I'm saying Coronation Street.

Just my opinion; it's not "wrong" as everyone has one!

Comments

• Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Emmerdale :D
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I'm with you O.P. Over the past few weeks, well months actually, I've much prefered Corrie. But had you also asked me a year ago I'd have said Eastenders. I was also pretty disappointed with Stacey's exit yesterday.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Corrie's on the up, make no mistake about it.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coronation Street has only received praise and public attention in the last month because of the Live episode. Other than that, I can't remember much apart from Joe/Gail and Tony/Carla. Saying it's been the most consistant is a huge exaggeration as it's obvious you are basing it on the last month IMO. Having said that, apart from Eastenders LIVE, Queen Vic Fire, Syed/Christian and Phil's Drug Addiction - I don't think Eastenders has been memorable in the slightest.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyri wrote: »
    Coronation Street has only received praise and public attention in the last month because of the Live episode. Other than that, I can't remember much apart from Joe/Gail and Tony/Carla. Saying it's been the most consistant is a huge exaggeration as it's obvious you are basing it on the last month IMO. Having said that, apart from Eastenders LIVE, Queen Vic Fire, Syed/Christian and Phil's Drug Addiction - I don't think Eastenders has been memorable in the slightest.

There's been some amazing episodes aside from the tram crash - Roy and Hayley's wedding, the Manchester tart episode, COlin's death, Jack's death the opening of the Joinery, the tram crash was just the icing on top of the cake
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been some amazing episodes aside from the tram crash - Roy and Hayley's wedding, the Manchester tart episode, COlin's death, Jack's death the opening of the Joinery, the tram crash was just the icing on top of the cake

Was that the one when Gail chucked a cake in Deidre's face?:D If so, then yes, that was a classic!:D
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    ...Emmerdale :D

I was going to say the same. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that the one when Gail chucked a cake in Deidre's face?:D If so, then yes, that was a classic!:D

That's the one :p
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon Emmerdale as been the most consistent of them all. The writing and acting has been first class - and I say this as someone who started off the year a hardcore Easties fan and was pretty lukewarm about Emmerdale.

Aaron coming out, the arrival of Jackon and Maisie, Holly's battle with drugs and the Carl/Chas/Eve love triangle have all made for compulsive viewing.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I reckon Emmerdale as been the most consistent of them all. The writing and acting has been first class - and I say this as someone who started off the year a hardcore Easties fan and was pretty lukewarm about Emmerdale.

Aaron coming out, the arrival of Jackon and Maisie, Holly's battle with drugs and the Carl/Chas/Eve love triangle have all made for compulsive viewing.

Don't forget my favourite thing about Emmerdale, I said to myself, I said Hazel...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget my favourite thing about Emmerdale, I said to myself, I said Hazel...

Sorry, I meant to say Jackson and Hazel in my post, not Maisie!
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Neither. I think Emmerdale has easily been the most consistent across the year.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad people have agreed with me so far!
    I'm a fan of ALL of them also.
    Interesting to see how Emmerdale continues since Gavin Blyth sadly passed away.
  • Options
    Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale has been good but certain plots have been overrated. Every episode of Emmerdale seems to blend into one for me. So I suppose that counts as consistency.

Corrie has had a poor year. It's only been the past month or so that they've turned things around and now things have gone back to being poor/mediocre at best with Tracy's return. I also think the 50th week was overrated. While the stunts were good, the plot strands throughout the week were the same tosh we've become accustomed to - Stape, Molvin, Leanne/Nick etc. These plots aren't great.

EE has had an OK year. A few bad months out of 12 isn't bad considering Corrie has had bad patches lasting years at a time. People always go OTT on DS when it comes to EE.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Eastenders or Emmerdale.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member

Ken....DO SOMETHING!!:D
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Corris has its bad moments but they're generally outnumbered by the good ones. It's a near perfect blend of drama and comedy, and some of the characters are second to none.
  • Options
    MamaboogieMamaboogie Posts: 3,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

Sid - you speak the truth! (hugs!:))

Out of the 3 soaps yesterday, Emmerdale was the one I was looking forward to the most and the one I enjoyed the most. The acting and writing has been superb recently.

I have loved Corrie recently, but the one thing I remember about the live episode was the episode of Emmerdale just before it when Jackson had the meltdown in hospital and begged his Mum and Aaron not to leave him there. This meant I was an emotional wreck even before the Corrie live Episode started!

EE has just disappointed me lots this year - the Live episode was stunning, but since then, I have not enjoyed it at all. I'm sad to see Lacey Turner go - but I think it's best for her career and I'm looking forward to seeing her in the new series of Being Human!

So - just to recap - I'd say out of the two, Corrie has been most consistant - but I'd rather watch Emmerdale! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know! Eastenders was better than Coronation st. IMO until Lucas left. Coro st. was great during the tram week. Now Tracy's being a pain, and last night's dramatic EE was excellent! About equal I'd say.
  • Options
    sandy4268sandy4268 Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Corrie's high point was the live episode - fantastic, but it's low point was the Christmas Day episode - truly cringeworthy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandy4268 wrote: »
    Corrie's high point was the live episode - fantastic, but it's low point was the Christmas Day episode - truly cringeworthy.

You obviously missed Gail's trial/siege week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mamaboogie wrote: »
    Sid - you speak the truth! (hugs!:))

Out of the 3 soaps yesterday, Emmerdale was the one I was looking forward to the most and the one I enjoyed the most. The acting and writing has been superb recently.

I have loved Corrie recently, but the one thing I remember about the live episode was the episode of Emmerdale just before it when Jackson had the meltdown in hospital and begged his Mum and Aaron not to leave him there. This meant I was an emotional wreck even before the Corrie live Episode started!

EE has just disappointed me lots this year - the Live episode was stunning, but since then, I have not enjoyed it at all. I'm sad to see Lacey Turner go - but I think it's best for her career and I'm looking forward to seeing her in the new series of Being Human!

So - just to recap - I'd say out of the two, Corrie has been most consistant - but I'd rather watch Emmerdale! :p

Hey Mama! (((hugs))) back at ya :)

I tend to drift in and out of Corrie, but tune in at the right times it seems. I've watched all the big stories and they've been played out very well.

Eastenders I've stayed loyal to but it's been difficult. The year started off strongly but it's been steadily going downhill since. Thank heavens for Janine, Christian, the Masoods, Dot and Kim/Fatboy. They are saving the show.

Meanwhile, Emmerdale has gone from strength to strength. I'm a total addict now!

Good to see you again Mama - mwah! x
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch all of the soaps (well the main ones - CS, EE and Emmerdale) and though Corrie has been my long term favourite, Emmerdale has been amazing this year. I never liked Suzanne Shaw (don't ask me why, something I couldn't put my finger on) but I think she's been excellent as Eve and the whole Chas/Eve/Carl thing along with Holly and the heroin addiction have been brilliant.

The tram crash and the Corrie live episode were fantastic, but overall I think Emmerdale has been better. Really stepped up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say Emmerdale has been the most consistent

The start of the year for Corrie was really bad
  • Options
    Chrissy 2005Chrissy 2005 Posts: 9,645
    Forum Member
    I think people forget just how awful Corrie was at the begining of the year. I know it's been consistent since August and great since the build up of the crash.

While EE had a first great start to the year, then had a bit a slump, came out it again and then went back into one in the last few weeks as there was no Christmas build up.

I'd say EE has been more consistent but I've certainly enjoyed Corrie more with the tram crash stuff. EE haven't really had anything to exciting since the Live and maybe the Vic fire.