Options

How long after my cat's flea treatment can I treat him again?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My cat has had fleas for nearly a month now, with Frontline applied before and after the first appearance of fleas.

He was last given Frontline on the 31st August. I'm thinking of switching to Advocate or Advantage - any suggestions as to which is better? How much longer do I have to wait before I can give him another treatment?

Comments

• Options
    BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use advocate and have never had a flea problem, frontline is an awful product and I haven't used advantage x
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Most flea treatments can be given monthly. I use advocate but I wait 6-8 weeks between treatments, partly because I have 3 cats and it's expensive, but also because the cats absolutely hate it and run away as soon as they hear me break the seal on the product. Cats are clever. None of my cats have ever had fleas so I've been very lucky.

It's been more than a month since you used a product so I am sure you will be fine.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it's been 4 weeks, you're good to go.

Advocate cleared up a friends recent cat-flea problem very quickly.

she'd been using frontline beforehand too but its effectiveness was poor at best.

we have been using the bob martin version of Advantage for the past few years on our dog and haven't once seen a flea on him.
    the fella over the road uses the same stuff on his cat and he's also been clear of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Advocate user here. We only use it when we see fleas, or evidence of, which we have recently so will be picking some up form the vets at some point. It's always been effective on our 3 cats and dog. Frontline has proven to be useless. Whether it's because fleas have become resistant to it due to it being used so much (I see you can buy it anywhere now without prescription) or what, I don't know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advocate it is then. Is the minimum interval between switching products a month?

I don't want him to have to suffer with fleas for another 2 and a half weeks.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Frontline has stopped working. We used it for years on our dogs, and it always worked great. This past year, it has stopped working entirely. Very strange.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much does advocate and advantage cost?
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you keep finding fleas then you have a far bigger problem than just the fleas - there will be eggs, larvae and pupae in the house and that will need dealing with as well.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/info.html
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Bob Martin was mentioned above but only once, are their products recommended?
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Martins products are NOT recomended. Avoid them like the plague.

If you read the FAB link I gave it will tell you all you need to know about acceptable anti-flea products.
  • Options
    FlickJFlickJ Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    Bob Martins products are NOT recomended. Avoid them like the plague.

If you read the FAB link I gave it will tell you all you need to know about acceptable anti-flea products.

I once used Bob Martin flea treatment on my cat (usually used frontline) and it made her extremely ill - I actually thought she had had a stroke it was that severe, she completely lost her balance and fell from the back of the sofa hitting the floor hard, she was vomiting for a few hours and lethargic for about 2 days then completely back to normal. The vet thought she must of had an allergic reaction but it scared the hell outta me and would never use any Bob Martin products again after that experience.

I've always found frontline to be good (although pricey!) but use it as a preventative measure rather than as a treatment so perhaps it was just the case my pets would not have got fleas / ticks regardless. Interesting to read the comments on frontline not working anymore, I wonder if the "recipe" has been changed. My dog is due to be done this week and I still have a couple of pipetts left so will use them up but may change after that given these comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys. Am I right in thinking that Wilkinsons own brand treatments are re-badged Bob Martins?
  • Options
    AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The prescription version of Frontline which is "Frontline Combo" contains the chemical to kill the adult fleas (which is the same one as in the frontline you can get from chemists etc) but also contains a chemical to prevent eggs/larvae developing ( the same chemical which is in the house treatment spray with the brand name "Acclaim" ) .
    I made the mistake of thinking that the Frontline that said it treated ticks as well as fleas was the "Combo " version. Not helped by the fact that the vet receptionist told me the Frontline available on prescription only was better than the version available from chemists because it was "stronger" .
    It's "better " because it should help prevent your house becoming flea infested if your cat does pick up a few fleas that fall off in the house before the chemical treatment kills them .
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advocate it is then. Is the minimum interval between switching products a month?

I don't want him to have to suffer with fleas for another 2 and a half weeks.

you can give flea tablets along side spot ons to begin killing the fleas faster if you like

not sure what the recommended ones are though.
    but for a spot on, you need to leave it for the month between unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just treated our cat with a spot on wormer, how long before i can use a spot-on flea treatment on it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just treated our cat with a spot on wormer, how long before i can use a spot-on flea treatment on it?

My vet recommends about 4-5 days between the two applications.
  • Options
    stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would use a flea comb to tease the little beggars out and then crush them between your fingernails. With the cat de-flead any of the aforementioned remedies will prevent further trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tass wrote: »
    My vet recommends about 4-5 days between the two applications.

cheers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlphaK wrote: »
    The prescription version of Frontline which is "Frontline Combo" contains the chemical to kill the adult fleas (which is the same one as in the frontline you can get from chemists etc) but also contains a chemical to prevent eggs/larvae developing ( the same chemical which is in the house treatment spray with the brand name "Acclaim" ) .
    I made the mistake of thinking that the Frontline that said it treated ticks as well as fleas was the "Combo " version. Not helped by the fact that the vet receptionist told me the Frontline available on prescription only was better than the version available from chemists because it was "stronger" .
    It's "better " because it should help prevent your house becoming flea infested if your cat does pick up a few fleas that fall off in the house before the chemical treatment kills them .

I use Frontline Combo on one our cats, as she's allergic to Advocate, which the others have. It's better than standard Frontline.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to treat the home and not just the cat. Or you will never get rid of them.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Providing it's only occasional, no, you can use products more often.

One of my cats is troubled by a particular parasite that Advocate treats but Frontline Combo does not. However, we have plenty of ticks in the fields and Frontline kills ticks but Advocate does not. Therefore, once or twice a year - but not more often - this particular cat get Advocatted and then, 2 weeks later in back tick season weather in spring / early summer, he gets Frontlined.

Our vet has prescribed this regime, btw - it's not me making up the rules as I go along.
    I see Bob Martin was mentioned above but only once, are their products recommended?
    No. I think they are better than nothing if people cannot afford the cost of a veterinary consultation and the products are cheaper than a vet will sell at prescribed products, I'm sure, but these over-the-counter products not as effective. Often not at all effective.