12 Degrees, Pouring Down, My Brother and His Friends are Wearing Shorts Outside

Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When did shorts and a t-shirt become standard British Summer wear for boys?
They absolutely refuse to wear trousers, even though it's been cool and wet since schools broke up. They're 11 to 18 years old. It has been pouring down in Lancashire the last few days with temperatures not much higher than 12 degrees but still they all wear shorts. They just don't seem to care.

Last summer when I was walking with my brother and some of his friends from school, I saw a kid wearing t-shirt and shorts in torrential rain and asked them if the kid was okay. They said, "He's uh.. Yeah Weird. He's weird. Really weird. He wears shorts in all weathers."

Now they think it's fine.

One boy has even started cropping thier pants, cutting of the bottoms and making them into shorts, so his mum can't force him to wear trousers. What's gonna happen come winter??

Comments

• Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I expect they'll wear long trousers in winter. What's the problem with kids wearing shorts and t-shirts? It is July, even though the weather is more like October. Leave them be, there's nothing weird about wearing summer clothes in summer.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    They absolutely refuse to wear trousers, even though it's been cool and wet since schools broke up. They're 11 to 18 years old. It has been pouring down in Lancashire the last few days with temperatures not much higher than 12 degrees but still they all wear shorts. They just don't seem to care.

Last summer when I was walking with my brother and some of his friends from school, I saw a kid wearing t-shirt and shorts in torrential rain and asked them if the kid was okay. They said, "He's uh.. Yeah Weird. He's weird. Really weird. He wears shorts in all weathers."

Now they think it's fine.

One boy has even started cropping thier pants, cutting of the bottoms and making them into shorts, so his mum can't force him to wear trousers. What's gonna happen come winter??

My hubby will be 65 next month has been wear shorts since end of March he flatly refuses to put long trousers on, he keeps telling me it's summer :blush::blush::blush: my son is the same. I'm in jumper and jeans
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always wear shorts during the summer, hail rain or shine. It's never particularly 'cold' and I find them much more comfy than trousers/jeans
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In post WW2 young boys in the UK always wore shorts / short trousers up to about 14. Grey flannel in winter, khaki in summer. This only changed sometime in the early to mid 60s, speeded up by the increasing popularity of jeans. Far as I can remember I got my first pair of drainies in 64 when I was 12, still had to wear the shorts for school as long trousers wern't allowed until the third? form.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    In post WW2 young boys in the UK always wore shorts / short trousers up to about 14. Grey flannel in winter, khaki in summer. This only changed sometime in the early to mid 60s, speeded up by the increasing popularity of jeans. Far as I can remember I got my first pair of drainies in 64 when I was 12, still had to wear the shorts for school as long trousers wern't allowed until the third? form.

Yup ... I wore shorts to school until I was about 14 ... and as you mention, it was all year round!

I can't help but wonder what dreaded affliction the OP imagines will befall anyone who gets wet legs when it's 12 degrees outside! :D

In fact, unless you're wearing waterproofs, it's more uncomfortable (in my opinion) to have wet long trousers as they take an age to dry out when it stops raining.

Rumour has it that some sports people even wear shorts in winter! :o

I wonder how they cope? ;-)
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Some of the posties wear shorts all year round!! :o
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wear shorts whenever possible. If it's a bit chilly, I put a hoodie on. I don't recall my legs ever getting cold.

Plus I have awesome calves, so any excuse to display them ;)
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously they're going to turn into hardy Northern men.
    Have to admit I'm the same. I rarely wear a coat. In winter I prefer a long sleeve t-shirt. It has to be cold and wet for me to wear a coat or sub zero temps. Even though it's been raining constantly here since Saturday I am yet to unpack my coat.
    I only wear long pants because of dress code at work.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Birch them I say, birch them until they see sense..
  • RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, the best day ever was the day that the school deemed that shorts were not compulsory in Primary 6.

Apart from playing footie I've not worn shorts since.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    My hubby will be 65 next month has been wear shorts since end of March he flatly refuses to put long trousers on, he keeps telling me it's summer :blush::blush::blush: my son is the same. I'm in jumper and jeans

Ditto for me - I'm wearing them right now - and sandals.
    No black socks though!
  • mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Isn't it the same as woman who wear shorts?

I've been in shorts since March/Apri and will probably continue to do so till at October,much more comfortable then jeans.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of grown men won't wear trousers in summer, regardless of the weather.

You'll still see some with chattering teeth in October. :D
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went in town on Sunday and the weather was like winter - it was absolutely p*ssing down. Not just a bit of drizzle or light rain but properly chucking it down, and it had been since the early hours of the morning. Everyone was wearing coats and had umbrellas etc then when I was waiting to cross a road a couple appeared opposite me, they must have been in their late 50s/early 60s. They both had very deep tans, he was wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt and she was wearing shorts, a top with thin straps and flip flops. They both looked ridiculous considering the weather but they had clearly been on holiday recently and were obviously determined to show off their tans no matter what. :D
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Until he died a few years back, one of my friends with benefits' grandfather wore shorts. He was 80 when he died.

(PS - I wear shorts as well (probably shorter than theirs) regardless of the weather. Mind you, I can get away with wearing tights underneath them.)
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Ditto for me - I'm wearing them right now - and sandals.
    No black socks though!

BIB

Nooooo no socks, most time no shirt or pants just shorts lol said he save me washing :confused: the washing machine dose the washing. Me I'm a cold bird need heat, we look odd when we go out me jumper and jeans Mr shorts.
  • Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always wear shorts during the summer, hail rain or shine. It's never particularly 'cold' and I find them much more comfy than trousers/jeans

Most of the time I wear fleece pants. More comfy for sitting around in jeans.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wore very thin ling summer trousers yesterday and boiled. Back to the cropped stuff and shorts for when I'm not at work.

Temperature may not be tgat great but its still fairly humid. I doubt I'll wear jeans or trousers till about October.
  • cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wear shorts whenever possible. If it's a bit chilly, I put a hoodie on. I don't recall my legs ever getting cold.

Plus I have awesome calves, so any excuse to display them ;)

I've often wondered if men's legs just don't get cold, as I notice shorts-wearing men will layer up their top halves when it gets chillier, but leave the shorts on. The other evening I saw a man in shorts walking his dog, but on his top half he was wearing a long-sleeved sweatshirt and a padded gilet, which made me :confused:

I suppose you get to keep your leg hair as well, which is probably nice and insulating.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    It's a boy thing.

I remember waiting for the bus at 3:30pm at school in the pouring rain and very few of the boys would put their coats or jumpers on, and even those who did refused to use their rainhoods.
    The girls, far more sensible, were be-coated and mostly had umbrellas too.
  • PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son gets his shorts out end of March/April and that's him until at least the end of the summer holidays.

TBH it's a godsend. The flamin' child is in yet another growth spurt, shorts can be kept going much longer than jeans etc and jeans can be cut into shorts. One of my pet peeves is too short ankle swinging trousers, at least with shorts I stand half a chance of getting a decent amount of wear out of them.
  • Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often wondered if men's legs just don't get cold, as I notice shorts-wearing men will layer up their top halves when it gets chillier, but leave the shorts on. The other evening I saw a man in shorts walking his dog, but on his top half he was wearing a long-sleeved sweatshirt and a padded gilet, which made me :confused:

I suppose you get to keep your leg hair as well, which is probably nice and insulating.

Yeah, my legs don't really get cold either and my legs are quite hairy.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    The bloke across the road from us wears shorts and T-shirts all year round - he's bonkers!
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wear shorts all year round. As long as me knackers and torso are warm I don't care about the rest.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I play golf three times a week and wear shorts unless it's really freezing or peeing down.
    But I may well be wearing a padded gilet over my polo shirt.
    The downside is that when you're naked the legs are bronzed from ankle to thigh as are the arms from just above the elbow to wrist and the face from neck up.
    A bit like an incomplete painting by numbers.:D