Options

Serbia lottery controversy - ball number on screen before it is drawn out!

Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Live lottery draw on TV and ball 27 comes out and the lottery worker types 21 onto screen, next ball out is 21 and all hell has broken loose.

http://news.sky.com/story/1528029/lottery-probed-after-number-shown-before-draw

The lottery boss has resigned and the prime minister has told a news conference: "If there was any criminal activity these people will answer to the law. The path to prison is very short."

To me it looks like it could be a genuine mistake and they were just unlucky that 21 came out after he types it by mistake.

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree. Mixing up 21 and 27 is easily done when the ball is moving. Nothing more than a coincidence.

When Frank Bruno won his world title, it flashed up on teletext that he had won before the fight had started. I don't recall any outcry over that.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    It would have been helpful if Sky had bothered to translate what the woman was saying. Without that, it's a pointless video other than indicating either cockup and coincidence, or conspiracy - but not which!

My guess at this stage is cockup and coincidence.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like a genuine mistake / unlucky coincidence and it's a shame that the employee who mistakenly typed 21 instead of 27 has resigned out of "moral obligation" so an investigation can take place. He should have gone to Specsavers.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^Well at least the employee had the morals to resign, unlike some politicians/judges/police/social workers in the country.
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tis the old joke isn't it... "Now, tomorrow's Italian football results... "
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the number 27 wasn't shown on the screen as the ball appeared (and 21 was shown in error) why is this story even being reported?
    Cretins.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, three numbers are drawn, the fourth number is 27 but they put the graphic for "21" on screen. The graphic for "27" then appears. I don't know how many numbers you pick from on this lottery but, say it's 49, that leaves a 1 in 45 chance of the fifth number being 21. It could happen. Plus if you look at the hosts' expression and body language it's fairly clear that she's getting some feedback from the producer that something's wrong with the graphics. Plus they then take the graphics off screen and replace them with all the numbers reading "27". All this shows is a screw-up with the graphics. Doesn't prove anything.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a coincidence to me. Dependent on how many numbers there are in total it's probably less than a 1 in 50 chance.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so what is the conspiracy? The lottery people draw out a combination of numbers that nobody has a ticket for; they then fake a winner, and keep the money themselves.?

I would go for a cockup myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an unfortunate coincidence, an investigation should realise that.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't help for the conspiracy that 21 and 27 look similar. If it was 18 then say 54 I would be thinking 'wait a minute!." So I go for silly mistake and get the typist new glasses.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I'd agree. Mixing up 21 and 27 is easily done when the ball is moving. Nothing more than a coincidence.

When Frank Bruno won his world title, it flashed up on teletext that he had won before the fight had started. I don't recall any outcry over that.

Happens all the time doesn't it.

Mixing up with 12 I could understand but not something as clear as 27.
  • Options
    Double HelixDouble Helix Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Tis the old joke isn't it... "Now, tomorrow's Italian football results... "

Hardly a joke. A lot of bookmakers won't touch the final weeked of Serie A and especially Serie B matches.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happens all the time doesn't it.

Mixing up with 12 I could understand but not something as clear as 27.

No but how could you possibly mix up 12 and 21?
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »

Well ball 27 comes out and they mistakenly put 21 on the graphic, fair enough mistakes happen all the time in TV.

THEY LEAVE IT UP

Then ball 21 comes out after 27.....so the "mistake" happened to be the exact ball to come out next, which really is pushing the odds of it being an accident.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    If the lotto was fixed then wouldn't only the higher up's be in on it and not some one so low down the ladder as the person who types the numbers when then come out.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    conspiracy

noun

noun: conspiracy; plural noun: conspiracies

a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.
    "a conspiracy to destroy the government"

synonyms: plot, scheme, stratagem, plan, machination, cabal; More
    deception, ploy, trick, ruse, dodge, subterfuge, sharp practice;

informalframe-up, fit-up, racket, put-up job;

rarecomplot, covin

"the company was involved in a conspiracy with bookmakers to manipulate starting prices"

•the action of plotting or conspiring.
    "they were cleared of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice"

synonyms: plotting, collusion, intrigue, connivance, machination, collaboration; treason
    "he was due to stand trial for conspiracy to murder"
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why the big fuss? looks like a genuine mistake to me and a coincidence that 21 was the next number.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    No but how could you possibly mix up 12 and 21?
    Same figures except the other way round, I get it with the post sometimes - 15 instead of 51, I've never had mail for 57 though.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    21st century, and those stupid perspex machines are worldwide and the Lottery TV format is de facto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SAbJjktk7E
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Well ball 27 comes out and they mistakenly put 21 on the graphic, fair enough mistakes happen all the time in TV.

THEY LEAVE IT UP

Then ball 21 comes out after 27.....so the "mistake" happened to be the exact ball to come out next, which really is pushing the odds of it being an accident.

Not really. The chances of it being 21 were only about 1 in 45.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Serbia lottery controversy - ball number on screen before it is drawn out!

Where did they get this idea from? Camelot?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have a time machine :o Send a commando there and fetch it.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    serbia? OK