Big Brother Needs to Change: Any (sensible) Ideas?

2»

Comments

• Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tom0101 wrote: »
    I would like the cash idea written in the OP, and also tasks revolving around the prize money. I think it needs to become a game, so they should introduce the Head of House. The Head of House then gets a luxury budget regardless of the other housemates, their own room and the ability for their two nominations to automatically face the public vote. Unlike the American version, there would be no veto meaning that they can't redeem themselves.

They need to come up with more punishments other than "you cannot nominate" and "you will face eviction". They should have a second house where rulebreakers must go for the week, and live on slop in a Big Brother 1 style house where the real house is luxurious like every year since BB2.

They should also make it last a more rounder number of days such as 100 days, have no late entries past day 50 and even smaller things such as the chickens could bring entertainment to the house.

I don't think its just inside the house that needs an overhaul, outside of the house and the live show does as well. There is loads of space outside the house towards where the stairs used to be, yet the crowd and the set is all crammed onto one side of the house. If they did a full length crowd like last year with a walkway inbetween also like last year, it would be good to have sections where Davina walks down and talks to the crowd like what happened at the start of CBB5, but sort of vanished after Carole Malone's eviction. It also makes it look like more of an event if there is a bigger crowd- and an eviction is a crowd.

Speaking of eviction nights, they could bring more tension for the housemates by opening something called "The Eviction Room" where they have to sit for the eviction announcement, and the evictee has to leave from the eviction room rather than the living area.

Big Brother is a format that will never grow old, and with the right work it could be the biggest and best reality show ever.

One last thing- the selection process. Only 1 or 2 wannabes please. Extreme housemates should be back such as the BB5 mix.

Brilliant. :D I love these ideas. I agree about the outside...there should be a garden that can open and extend so some really good tasks can be set up outside...
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds my sort of show. I should watch it instead of ours...Our BB really needs to follow their lead but it needs an edge as well...I just don't know what that edge can be?
    I think the edge with our show over bb is proberbly the characters.
    You dont get the nadias or victors over there.
    Many of the hms are pretty bland and thats its only downfall.
    Saying that theres always one or 2 really big characters..this year michelle in bbaus is the loud obnoxious hm but shes also funny.

The tasks in bbaus are much better also.
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    bb8 is pretty back to basics if you ask me and i think its proved that back to basics doesnt really work thet well with an audiece
    rorybb wrote: »
    bbaus works brilliantly????? dont make me laugh!
    Its as boring aspig shit and the hms are as fake as plastic nearly all bbaus fans prefer our version

BB8 is as far removed from back to basics as you can get so your point holds no water.

as for being fake and plastic You are refering to the hms not the structure and format which is what we are all debating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SG-1 wrote: »
    I think the edge with our show over bb is proberbly the characters.
    You dont get the nadias or victors over there.
    Many of the hms are pretty bland and thats its only downfall.

Would extreme characters be attracted to such a ruthless cash driven version of Big Brother?:o
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A £1,000,000 prize fund brings many benefits. Not only will it bring about some in house competition, but it will attract different sorts of people to auditions.

Live Nominations. I think they need to make more of an event out of what should be a key part of BB. This year, they don't even need to sit at the sofas to do it. BB gives them a free dinner in a special "nominations room" and the housemates can be seated beside those they are likely to nominate to make it awkward. For a twist (maybe all weeks or just for one) housemates will be allowed to talk about nominations in the "nominations room". With plenty of drink flowing at the dinner, the result would be announced straight away to the house.

Revamp the eviction shows. Show the nominees "best bits" and Davina can talk to the crowd. Have a larger crowd as well.

A new house, inside and out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    The show needs to stop concentrating on the only two storylines used in the show so far... arguements and love.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    A £1,000,000 prize fund brings many benefits. Not only will it bring about some in house competition, but it will attract different sorts of people to auditions.

Live Nominations. I think they need to make more of an event out of what should be a key part of BB. This year, they don't even need to sit at the sofas to do it. BB gives them a free dinner in a special "nominations room" and the housemates can be seated beside those they are likely to nominate to make it awkward. For a twist (maybe all weeks or just for one) housemates will be allowed to talk about nominations in the "nominations room". With plenty of drink flowing at the dinner, the result would be announced straight away to the house.

Revamp the eviction shows. Show the nominees "best bits" and Davina can talk to the crowd. Have a larger crowd as well.

A new house, inside and out.

I agree with all of that. Especially the live shows. We have had the same set up since BB5, including same set (with added and moved stairs) and nothing making it a real event. If they move the house, they should just build a replica of the current house in Elstree, but much bigger. If they stay at Elstree, they should get planning permission to bulldoze the current house and build the same put flipped over so the entrance faces towards tesco and the crowd stand on the tesco side there the house currently is then they will be able to have a much bigger garden
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There could also be a twist...everyone talks about a "mole" but there has never been an actual mole.

So why don't BB randomly select one of the HMs to be their "mole" - this HM must keep it secret or they will up for eviction. This HM has 30 mins of internet access a day, a mobile phone for 10 minutes a day, a secret room where they can view on monitors all the others in the house and listen in to their conversations...their task is to try and influence nominations without breaking the rules.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My idea is vote to save. It would be a simple change but would make a big difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of a house in London, why not make it an exotic location, like a jungle in Australia? Then give them really disgusting things to eat or make them stick their heads in with creepy-crawlies. Instead of Davina, get a pair of wally.....

...Oh bugger...
    back to the drawing board.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There could also be a twist...everyone talks about a "mole" but there has never been an actual mole.

So why don't BB randomly select one of the HMs to be their "mole" - this HM must keep it secret or they will up for eviction. This HM has 30 mins of internet access a day, a mobile phone for 10 minutes a day, a secret room where they can view on monitors all the others in the house and listen in to their conversations...their task is to try and influence nominations without breaking the rules.

Good idea, even if it does defeat the object of the whole show. I also like the idea of the eviction room, even though they'd say their goodbyes to the group before going in it, anyway.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    happy girl wrote: »
    How about they make it compulsory to go to the bb house?
    Having people in there who didn't want to be famous or rich;) in the 1st place.

:confused:

It would never happen though but I think its exciting and unpredictable.

My brother suggested this the other year! like jury duty! what a laugh that would be. I think the problem is people wouldn't do it!!!:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    Good idea, even if it does defeat the object of the whole show. I also like the idea of the eviction room, even though they'd say their goodbyes to the group before going in it, anyway.:D

Yes it sounds like it does defeat the idea...but how about if that "mole" is told they cannot win, but if they manages to successfully complete their 'assignments' they win money? Maybe the trick is that a random person is selected and the "mole" has to try and influence noms for that person...but it turns out the person would be immune. The actual task is just to see if they can get them put up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the simplest thing to do is to give them things to do between tasks.
    The reason they bitch and gossip all day is because there is nothing to do and it is the only thing they have in common with each other.

They need things to do each day, even if it is set discussion, debate or quizzes or something like that. They could even have a game of trivial pursuit with teams. Or what about some sports equipment? mini gym, table tennis, etc. There is plenty of room for things like that.
  • nimmynimnimmynim Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    would love to see the uk bb do what the yank sdid a few years ago. big bro ... the x factor when all housemates ex bf/gf's were introduced after, classic tv!!! the irony was the housemates had to vote them winner. brilliant concept
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clear and consistant punishments for discussing nominations.

No "late" housemates- all are there from opening night.

Nominations are made by every housemate, every week unless housemates are being punished.

Less focus on bitching and sniping, and more on entertaining housemates.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    oberon wrote: »
    My idea is vote to save. It would be a simple change but would make a big difference.

I have been saying this for a long time

Its so true that it would make a huge difference
    the atmosphere would become a positive one instead of the negative vote to evict
    the people left in the house would be people we want to see rather than those who fly under the radar being bland and escaping eviction
    the programme has been negative for too long.

Shipwrecked works on a postive vibe by encouraging the tribes to make a happy home for the new contestants and it doesnt stop the dramas or outbursts but the general tone is one of a forward motion.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Big Brother needs to change. Literally. To a different programme.

Channel 4 need to come up with a new summer long RTV. The HMs need a new purpose because watching them hanging around waiting for fame isn't cutting it any more.

It would be better if the housemates (or whatever) don't know it's the Big Brother replacement when they go in.

A three month long Space Cadets would've been good. That's a bit ambitious I suppose but something like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I only have a few simple suggestions to overhaul Big Brother.

A comprehensive ratification of the rules.
    Strict enforcement of said rules.
    A One hour "Jury" show each week, in which 12 Viewers (changed each week) get to decide on guilt or innocence, and then decide on a verdict AND punishment for those who break them.

My guess is, it would draw more viewers than BBBM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A tougher stance on rules is a recurring theme I've noticed. I wonder why BB ignore it when clearly it is what everyone demands?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the light box idea.

Also - no stuffed toys!

Plus in HM contracts they are held liable for EVERYTHING they say and BB therby commits to no sound dips.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    I would make the house an absolute hell-hole tip. Those housemats go in thinking it's going to be as stylish as it is now, with swimming pools and 10:00am alarm bells. No.

The house should be grey and dirty, like peasants and instead of making loads of double beds out of desperation, 15 steel hospital beds all lined up like a dormitory.

Every day one of the beds gets taken away (like musical chairs) and they've got to make the house tidy - or at least a decent place to live - and see how they cope then.

At the moment the housemates dont do anything. They just lie in their giant beds and lounge in the comfy beanbags. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    BB should run for a fewer number of weeks with more action each week. The celebrity BB should be scrapped. Instead could have 2 Big Brothers a year - each show lasting no more than 5-6 weeks. Once a HM leaves or is evicted they can not return to the house. The housemates need to do a mini task (group or individual) every day to keep their minds active and help physical fitness - to prevent day time lazing on the beds. They should have access to a washing machine. Contents of suitcases should be the absolute minimum. They should have to keep the house tidy all the time. Instead of having a secret house/room that is only revealed when the producers decide, the BB house should start off really small and some areas only revealed when the housemates find keys / other triggers that unlock visible doors/hatches etc - once found BB would not place any restriction on using these areas, which would not be classed as seperate secret areas just the rest of the house e.g. enter a house on launch night that appears not to have a bedroom or garden until the housemates find it!! All housemates enter together on launch night - no additions during the series, only leavers and evictees.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    SG-1 wrote: »
    Not sure if you have ever watched BBAUS chili but you should if you havent already,seems like all what your asking for is in that show.
    The prizes are usually miniscule for the first few evictees,500/1000 australian dollars for example,then as you go further in the game,a holiday and a few hundred dollars,then move onto a moped and then onto cars which get better and more valuable the further on in the game you go.
    One other thing i really like is the demand for respect,you can have blazing rows in bbaus which is fine but you must always respect a hms religion,race,etc.
    BB also demands respect,hms cannot swear at big brother,they cannot talk over bb and they cannot put feet all over the diary room chair..its all about respect.
    It works brilliantly because when bb asks them to do something they do it without question or flaffing around.

Problem is BB Oz reflects Australia. The HM are capable people and the country is more disciplined. Give them a task and you will get a can-do response .

BB UK in recent years is structured around awkward people who are often can't do people. They are picked to be different, not to cooperate and to be self-centred. Some are picked to reflect what happens when you have a breakdown of parental, school or police authority just so they won't work in a house where BB and the group will require things to be done. The voting audience compounds this by penalising people with leadership ability and not punishing people who are hopeless at almost everything.

Basically you can't do it and have Pete, Nadia, Nikki, Jade, Kemal, Marco, Bonnie, Lea, Sam2, Jayne, Fed, Carole or Charley in the house or the house is at war (BB6) or has no structure like BB8. Competitions where some people can't win and difficult tasks that are always failed won't work. You can't have mental challenges either when you have Jade and her descendants in the house.

The basic idea works but the price is you need the more able HM from every series as a tough house needs tough HM. That in turn requires going back to something like BB3 where you have a lot of capable people competing for the win who are numerous enough to carry jade through the tasks. BB3 works with a tough house to negotiate and two clear teams to back - the wonder is that the producers seem to think it worked because of Jade rather than inspite of her.