Options

Kitten found last night, what shall i do??

Comments

• Options
    SalbatesSalbates Posts: 2,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just found this thread this morning. I hope the poor little man is ok xxx
  • Options
    syramusyramu Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Alfie is okay! Cats do catch cold easily, and I hope that was all the problem is. *keeping fingers crossed*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    Hi Lottie, Just read this this morning and seen that kitty had to go back to the vets. I do hope that he will be ok. Fingers crossed for him. xx
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Hope Alfie is ok, the poor little mite!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys.

Its so nice that your all interested in how little Alfie is doing, He seems to be ok, but not 100%, he wont get up very much and wont eat a thing i put down, he is drinking water though which is good, been to the toiled this morning too which is also a good sign. All i can do is see if he gets any stronger, and im really hoping he will as he is a lovely little thing.

Got very upset last night, so much for not gettin attached. :(

xxx
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys.

Its so nice that your all interested in how little Alfie is doing, He seems to be ok, but not 100%, he wont get up very much and wont eat a thing i put down, he is drinking water though which is good, been to the toiled this morning too which is also a good sign. All i can do is see if he gets any stronger, and im really hoping he will as he is a lovely little thing.

Got very upset last night, so much for not gettin attached. :(

xxx

Oh hun - hopefully he'll get his strength back?

So what did the vet say? Is it just a combination of him being cold and malnourished? Does the vet expect him to recover?

All you can do is keep him warm and safe, make sure there is food and water for him and give him tons of fuss.

Fingers crossed for him and for you too, you did a very good thing!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aw thank you.

The vet said that the next few days will be telling as to weather he will recover or not, basically as he was outside and its been so cold and not with his mother. He is very poorly at the moment, im have come home with him this afternoon from work and we are in the living room and he is in a box full of blankets and has a hot water bottle under them, i read on a previous post about putting an alarm colck in for the ticking to represent the mothers heart beat so i have done that too, he looks very cosy but he is crying when awake but ok when i am sat next to him with my hand in the box so thats what im doing when ever he is awake.

I spoke to the vet this morning and asked if it would be best for him to go back to the vet and the vet said the best thing i can do is keep him warm and make him feel safe and as unstressed as possible so thats what im doing.

I really hope he pulls through this x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw thank you.

The vet said that the next few days will be telling as to weather he will recover or not, basically as he was outside and its been so cold and not with his mother. He is very poorly at the moment, im have come home with him this afternoon from work and we are in the living room and he is in a box full of blankets and has a hot water bottle under them, i read on a previous post about putting an alarm colck in for the ticking to represent the mothers heart beat so i have done that too, he looks very cosy but he is crying when awake but ok when i am sat next to him with my hand in the box so thats what im doing when ever he is awake.

I spoke to the vet this morning and asked if it would be best for him to go back to the vet and the vet said the best thing i can do is keep him warm and make him feel safe and as unstressed as possible so thats what im doing.

As I say I'll keep my fingers crossed for him (and you - must be so stressful???)

All you can do is what you have been doing, keep him warm and make him feel loved.... Hopefully he will pull through!!!

Did the vet say why he is crying? Is is just stress? Hopefully having you around to soothe him and stroke him will calm him down.

How old did the vet think he was?

I think back to when we got our little one and how tiny and vulenrable she was - she also had cat flu when we got her (thankfully not a severe case and she recovered just fine!!) and its amazing how the little mites pull on your heart strings!!!

You're doing a fab job and I am rooting for the little man!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    I'm sure he'll pull through with his very own Florence Nightingale/cat mummy to look after him! Best of luck, rooting for the pair of you also.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    Aw thank you.

Aw lottie, you are so doing the right thing. Everything that you are doing is making his recovery as lovely as possible. I do so hope that he will be ok. My thoughts are with him.
  • Options
    AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lottie, hope he pulls through, poor little mite. You're doing so well for this coming out of the blue, not everyone would be going out of their way to care for a stray, let alone a sick one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Are you giving him kitten milk? If he's only drinking water he won't really be getting any nutriments in that. Sainsburys/Teso sell cartons of kitten milk which is rich in everything they need. If you can't feed him, I would get him some of that at least. Don't give him cow's milk or his tummy won't cope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lozza73 wrote: »
    Are you giving him kitten milk? If he's only drinking water he won't really be getting any nutriments in that. Sainsburys/Teso sell cartons of kitten milk which is rich in everything they need. If you can't feed him, I would get him some of that at least. Don't give him cow's milk or his tummy won't cope.

He has a saucer of kitten milk and a saucer of water. i have put some food down but he is not interested. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has a saucer of kitten milk and a saucer of water. i have put some food down but he is not interested. x

Has he taken the water and or milk though? He'll eat when he is ready I am sure!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    he was interested in the milk when i put it down, had a little bit, more water than milk, he is awake now, seems ok, just having a nice cuddle at the mo in front of the TV x
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just found this thread......aww, good luck to you and the little chap. Thank goodness you heard him crying outside. Have you tried dipping your fingers in his food and drink to let him lick it off. He seems to trust you and may take it from you rather than a cold dish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    If you're looking for something soft and mushy to get him started on small quantities of food again, try a jar of Shippams Chicken Paste. A teaspoon of that is quite a bit to a tiny kitten.

We use to to disguise medicine for our two and they go nuts for it.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be waiting anxiously for updates OP so please let us know how the little guy is doing. It sounds like he was very lucky to find you.
  • Options
    katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    good to hear that he is drinking the milk and the water, by keeping him warm and comfy that will keep him from being stressed. Cats can get stressed quite easily which makes them rundown and gets them poorly so keeping him cosy is the best thing!

I have my fingers crossed and i'll get my 3 to cross their paws for him too! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he will be ok Lottie. You are a warm and caring person so some good may come about.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my diabetic cat wasn't eating, I mixed an egg in milk, which he liked, and it gave him some protein. I don't think there's any harm in trying the kitten on that. You could try feeding him that with a medicine dropper, or even a baby bottle - he's so tiny, that might make him feel more secure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhh bless him, I hope he's ok. He certainly fell into good safe hands

Perhaps a milky chicken broth may be something to consider, I know my friend always feeds her cats chicken soup type things when they are poorly. He may be too young to stomach the chicken though at the moment.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello lottie

First of all - well done you for finding little Alfie and taking care of him as well as you are doing, he could not have wished for a better person to rescue him :)

I hope he's feeling a bit better now (and you're not too stressed!)

May I suggest something?

It's gonna sound a bit daft, but I once had to do this as an emergency measure with two kittens.
    Their mum wasnt coping with having to feed 6 tiny kittens, she was collapsing with exhaustion all the time so I took two of them under my wing to give her a break.

If you can find anything that resembles a tiny milk bottle (you might find something like that in a sweet shop/toddler's toys department in a store), and gradually try to get Alfie to use this so he gets his kitten milk - as others have said, water in itself might not be enough to give him some physical strength.

Also, the suggestion to feed him little drops with your finger initially is excellent - he'll trust you enough now and it's a perfect way for him to get used to the taste.

I wish I could say or do more :o

Do let us know how you're getting on - here's another one rooting for little Alfie!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morning everyone

Thank you so much for your messages, really make me smile and the advice is great, i tried some milk in a pipet thing and that seems to work, He seems ok this morning although crying alot in the night, i put him in the box whilst i was doing a bit of clearing up and within 10 min he had done a poo and then fell in it . . lovely!

Am off to get some supplies in a mo, and i am deffo going to try the bottle idea, think that would really help.

He seems to be treating me like mum at the moment which is very cute although it means i cant really leave him any where, which is fine with me because i dont want to leave him any where!!

There is really something about him this morning that seems better, he just looks a bit perky although still has no energy so im going to try and get as much milk in him as i can. Going to buy a propper bed today as well, the box is cosy but i think a bed would be nicer for him!

The one thing i was a bit concerned about is my other cat being near him, not because she would hurt him but because i dont want either of them making the other one poorly, do you think its best to keep them apart or do you think she would be some confort to him? Shes a lovely thing and wouldnt hurt him . . thanks guys! xxxxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone

Thank you so much for your messages, really make me smile and the advice is great, i tried some milk in a pipet thing and that seems to work, He seems ok this morning although crying alot in the night, i put him in the box whilst i was doing a bit of clearing up and within 10 min he had done a poo and then fell in it . . lovely!

Am off to get some supplies in a mo, and i am deffo going to try the bottle idea, think that would really help.

He seems to be treating me like mum at the moment which is very cute although it means i cant really leave him any where, which is fine with me because i dont want to leave him any where!!

There is really something about him this morning that seems better, he just looks a bit perky although still has no energy so im going to try and get as much milk in him as i can. Going to buy a propper bed today as well, the box is cosy but i think a bed would be nicer for him!

The one thing i was a bit concerned about is my other cat being near him, not because she would hurt him but because i dont want either of them making the other one poorly, do you think its best to keep them apart or do you think she would be some confort to him? Shes a lovely thing and wouldnt hurt him . . thanks guys! xxxxx

Glad to hear he has perked up a bit lottie!!

It sounds as though Alfie is poorly because he is so young and was out in the cold - I personally don't think it's anything that he could pass on to your other cat? Although double check with the vet if you are unsure. I bet it will be lovely to see them together though - ahh bless!!! And who knows maybe having another kitty about will be good for him!!!

As for the cat bed - he may prefer the box for the time being (as I guess he is used to it?). My little one never uses her bed - she sleeps on the floor, on the washing rack, on our bed, in a show box, in her vet carry cage (:eek:), in the bath - basically anywhere except her bed ;)

Hopefully when Alfie is feeling a bit better we could have some piccies? I am dying to see the little fella :p
This discussion has been closed.