Options

The Mitchells

EE94EE94 Posts: 158
Forum Member
Is it time for some new members to arrive or maybe some old faces like sam(Kim mefcalf) or Peggy to return or are the mitchells yesterdays news and be aloud to die out

Comments

• Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that they just be phased out. I dont see the point in bringing back people who decided they didnt want to live there any more.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    I would say bring back an old face but depends and how they would be used. But I feel the Mitchell, Beale and Fowler families could do with rebuilding or strengthening in general
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely think they should bring back Sam Mitchell, the only contention is which one? Personally I'd be in favour of a job share - Kim Medcalf films on Mon-Weds and Daniella Westbrook films on Thurs-Sat.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I don't see how they're dying out...Phil, Billy, Ronnie, Roxy, Ben, Ami, Lexi + Lola and Jay.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are more than enough Mitchells at the moment.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peggy should come back for Phil and Sharon's Wedding, as should Grant and Sam
    It won't happen though
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    There are more than enough Mitchells at the moment.

The problem is they now seem to be three separate units rather than one big family. At one point they all operated around the Vic. It would be great if they could all be a part of the same business again but I cannot see Roxy in overalls with a spanner in her hand.

I also think they need a matriarch to pull them together. Not Peggy or Sal though as they are both extremely selfish and bossy. But it would be daft to bring an auntie they have never mentioned before into the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    Peggy should come back for Phil and Sharon's Wedding, as should Grant and Sam
    It won't happen though

You never know Peggy may make an appearance to put a stop to it she's no fan of Sharon's. There's old characters turning up for special events quite frequently now DTC is in charge. I doubt Grant would come to see his brother marry his ex wife though. Would be good to have them both back as a guest stint though.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    The problem is they now seem to be three separate units rather than one big family. At one point they all operated around the Vic. It would be great if they could all be a part of the same business again but I cannot see Roxy in overalls with a spanner in her hand.

I also think they need a matriarch to pull them together. Not Peggy or Sal though as they are both extremely selfish and bossy. But it would be daft to bring an auntie they have never mentioned before into the show.

The problem with having a matriarch is that they'll be seen as trying to take Peggy's place and I think only Peggy is the real matriarch of the Mitchell family.

I think it's time we learned of Uncle Clive and boys.

Or maybe it transpires that Phil's 112 year old Great Aunt Madge has finally kicked the bucket.…
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mitchells are still the most important family in EastEnders. When the show shifted focus away from them and to the Brannings it really exposed just how irreplaceable the Mitchells are.

I like the current setup with Sharon and Phil, but I agree that they would benefit from a matriarchal figure (ie Peggy) to bring the family together. And also Sharon vs Peggy again would be wonderful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give Anna Karen a permanent gig to keep Phil and Co in line!
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    I don't see how they're dying out...Phil, Billy, Ronnie, Roxy, Ben, Ami, Lexi + Lola and Jay.

They don't feel like a family anymore. Ronnie and Roxy are Phil's cousins Billy is their distant cousin Lola is Billy's long lost granddaughter and Jay isn't actually related to them. It just feels so mismatched and disjointed. Rewind 15 or so years and we had head of the family Peggy her three kids Phil Grant and Sam, daughters-in-law Kathy and Tiffany and grandchildren Ben and Courtney. Back then the Mitchell's felt like a proper family.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »

I think it's more the fact most of the big Mitchell characters are gone and we're left with the supporting Mitchells (Phil and Ronnie aside).

I personally don't think the Mitchells are in a good place. Phil is the worst he's ever been and has proven to be a terrible head of the family since Peggy left. Ronnie has gone over the edge and I don't see her sticking around very long. That last episode she was in was frankly a load of babbling rubbish and she's too messed up to be a stabilising presence.

I love Lola and think she's very underused but the writes have shown no signs of changing that. Billy has improved since Lola came along but he's always been a supporting character. Roxy could leave tomorrow for all I care. She contributes nothing but the same old same old whenever she puts in a rare appearance. Jay I don't consider a Mitchell or a particularly engaging character. Amy and Lexi are children.

Of course Ben is returning but I don't foresee him doing much to make the Mitchells stronger given his relationship with Phil. The Mitchells need Grant or Peggy back but neither is likely to happen.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    The Mitchells are still the most important family in EastEnders. When the show shifted focus away from them and to the Brannings it really exposed just how irreplaceable the Mitchells are.

I like the current setup with Sharon and Phil, but I agree that they would benefit from a matriarchal figure (ie Peggy) to bring the family together. And also Sharon vs Peggy again would be wonderful.

Instead of putting Sharon with the Brannings and keeping Phil and Shirley dancing around each other after Heather's murder coverup the writers should have put Phil and Sharon back together back in 2012. I think it was Barbara Windsor who said she would like Sharon to replace Peggy as matriarch of the Mitchells. That ship has well and truly sailed now.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    They don't feel like a family anymore. Ronnie and Roxy are Phil's cousins Billy is their distant cousin Lola is Billy's long lost granddaughter and Jay isn't actually related to them. It just feels so mismatched and disjointed. Rewind 15 or so years and we had head of the family Peggy her three kids Phil Grant and Sam, daughters-in-law Kathy and Tiffany and grandchildren Ben and Courtney. Back then the Mitchell's felt like a proper family.

I couldn't stand Peggy and Sam was very hit and miss, she certainly wasn't a patch on Ronnie as a character. Whichever actor played her she was just a silly airhead. The only one I'll always miss is Grant, but who's to say a return would be a success. He's middle aged now so not the lady's man he was.:(
  • Options
    EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we do need Peggy back now. Perhaps the family could literally fall apart after Sharon's revenge, and then in comes Peggy.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    They've got Mitchells, they just need to use them properly. When Ronnie properly returns, hopefully her and Roxy can be written as characters to steer the Mitchell family in the right direction, rather than as a mush-mash family of strays and waifs
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Ben is back so hopefully we'll start to feel a family unit with Phil, Sharon, Denny, Ben, Jay, Ronnie and Roxy.

I think DTC wants Billy to have his own little family unit with Lola, Lexi and Janet, hence why he's taken him away from The Mitchells and had his own drama with his own family.

The Mitchells have been fuller than they have last year, with only Phil, Billy and Roxy really. Now we'll have Ronnie and Ben back, they're the true remaining Mitchells in my opinion.

There's no point bringing Sam back, if Danielle Westbrook came back she'd never be involved in The Mitchells and would be shoved into other drama like she was in Sam's last stint with the Butchers, and then there's no need for Kim Medcalf's portrayal because that's basically Ronnie.