Commonweath Games changes

2»

Comments

• Options
    epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I cant see why the BBC couldnt have say put CBBC/BBC RB HD on COM 8, squeezing its 4K tests slightly to accommodate and putting say 2 or 3 SD RB streams on COM 7 in 544*576 res.

They probably wouldn't want to compromise the 4K tests by trying to squeeze them into less space than they actually need. That sort of thing can happen later, in the real world when it actually has viewers. ;-)

There would also be a problem of arranging COM8 regionally into areas carrying the 4K tests and areas not carrying them. On the whole, too messy to consider.
    There is surely space for 2-3 more SD channels to be squeezed onto COM 7?

This would have meant that for people who can get COM 7 and 8 and have a HD DTT receiver, they would have had the exact same choice as those on Dcab and Dsat.

The costs of setting up the links also has to be taken into consideration. Perhaps it was not considered viable to set up DTT distribution of the extra channels for just a few weeks. Maybe if Channel Four was uncertain of its launch date in the early stages of planning, the BBC could have considered hiring their infrastructure until Channel Four became ready for its own launch. As things have progressed, Channel Four has launched its HD channels and the infrastructure is no longer available.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Why haven't they figured out the HD and Red button integration yet?

In my view you should get the red button prompt on 101 and 105 and it should work just the same as if you were on 1 and 7 (I just mean the video menu, not the full text service - although that would be nice)

When you are on 301 and 302 the application should check if 101 and 105 exist and act accordingly, I know this is possible.

And another thing, the medals table on Red Button Text is an absolute mess.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Why haven't they figured out the HD and Red button integration yet?

In my view you should get the red button prompt on 101 and 105 and it should work just the same as if you were on 1 and 7 (I just mean the video menu, not the full text service - although that would be nice)

When you are on 301 and 302 the application should check if 101 and 105 exist and act accordingly, I know this is possible.

And another thing, the medals table on Red Button Text is an absolute mess.

On Dsat you can at least get into red button from HD versions of all BBC channels, but when in the blue button menu it will only give SD versions of BBC 1 and BBC 3 as options and not the HD versions.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After today they should knock BBC Parliament off Freeview and show the BBC RB 2 stream as they are in recess.

Then we can have BBC RB 0, BBC Three, BBC One, BBC RB 1 and BBC RB 2 on Freeview.

Meanwhile BBC One, BBC Three, BBC RB 0, BBC RB 1, BBC RB 2, BBC RB 3, BBC RB 4 and BBC RB 5 will be on Sky and Freesat.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not that bothered as I find the Freeview RB streams are very hard to watch as they're such poor quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So now for the post-Commonwealth games changes.

According to my EPG

BBC THREE - no daytime hours from Monday morning
    Radio in Scotland hours returned on Monday evening
    CBBC HD returns 7am Tuesday

302 will be showing Radio 1 in Ibiza from 6am Tuesday until 6am Thursday 7 August
    302 closes at 6am Thursday 7 August, at the same time 301 regains it's daytime hours.

QVC Beauty hours remaining 5am-1pm until at least Friday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

According to my EPG

302 will be showing Radio 1 in Ibiza from 6am Tuesday until 6am Thursday 7 August
    302 closes at 6am Thursday 7 August, at the same time 301 regains it's daytime hours.

It looks like CBBC HD and 301 gaining their proper times places on freeview are linked to when CBBC HD switches back TPs on Dsat and BBC RB 1 switches back to its TP slot on Dsat
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

will rocks&co also change its start time back to 8am. as it was also hit by these changes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    will rocks&co also change its start time back to 8am. as it was also hit by these changes

I'm just going by what the EPG says, of course we know what the EPG says is not a guarantee.

Rocks and Co EPG hasn't been reflecting the restricted hours as far a I know, so there's no way of knowing.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member

According to my EPG

Interesting, as that is a change to the EPG, compared to when listings for w/c Monday 4th August started to appear at the beginning of this week.

Of course, BBC RB 302's carriage on COM6/ArqB/MuxD is subject to Ofcom approval: http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/mux/multiplex-d/Final_Ltr_to_Arqiva_multiplex_D_consent_15052014.pdf
    Which was up to 3rd August.

We don't normally get to know about carriage agreements between any mux operator and broadcasters unless Ofcom publishes something, as they are usually deemed 'commercially sensitive', but any extension to the BBC RB 302 broadcast beyond the end of the Commonwealth Games on a COM mux will need to have been approved by Ofcom.

On Freesat, the Freetime EPG currently states "This is BBC Red Button" on BBC RB0 from Monday, which is the satellite/cable version of what's on the part-time BBC RB 301 service, whereas BBC RB2-5 and HD state "No information available" from 6am on Monday - indicating end of service.

BBC RB1 - currently the same as BBC RB302 - shows the Ibiza coverage.

Comparing the EPG's (which may not be accurate), at some point during the Ibiza coverage next week BBC RB1 will become the same as Freeview's BBC RB301. On Wednesday, for example, both BBC RB301 and BBC RB302 are down to show Ibiza coverage as well as BBC RB1 on satellite.

Whatever does happen, it explains why the BBC has always said "shortly after the Games finish" regarding the switch-back, rather than providing exact dates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    BBC RB1 - currently the same as BBC RB302 - shows the Ibiza coverage.

As you suggest, the Ibiza listings are for RB1 which is currently the same as RB 302 on freeview. I would expect that RB 301 will return to a full 24/7 service on Mon 4th carrying the same schedule as currently listed on RB1 (RB 302 on Freeview). There is no additional RB content from the 4th and no justification for RB 302 to continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On satellite, we're down to one BBC RB stream again (BBC RB1). CBBC has taken over the bandwidth vacated by BBC RB0 and HD.

So on Freeview and YouView, BBC RB 302, which has stayed on air for longer than the originally approved period is now simulcasting the only BBC RB stream with last night's closing ceremony.

If both 301 and 302 are still active at 7pm, then they should be showing the same stream. Unless there's surprises in store!
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my EPG 302 stops showing the Games at 06:00 on 5/8, but 301 stops at 05:30, showing 'This is BBC Red Button' thereafter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On satellite, we're down to one BBC RB stream again (BBC RB1). CBBC has taken over the bandwidth vacated by BBC RB0 and HD.

So on Freeview and YouView, BBC RB 302, which has stayed on air for longer than the originally approved period is now simulcasting the only BBC RB stream with last night's closing ceremony.

If both 301 and 302 are still active at 7pm, then they should be showing the same stream. Unless there's surprises in store!

Possibly just waiting for the usual Tuesday morning update window although I would have expected Freeview to have made the changes this morning and to restore the CBBC HD channel.

The additional RB channels on Virgin Media had all been removed by 5.45am this morning so it does appear that the only delay is on DTT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsilon wrote: »
    Possibly just waiting for the usual Tuesday morning update window although I would have expected Freeview to have made the changes this morning and to restore the CBBC HD channel.

The additional RB channels on Virgin Media had all been removed by 5.45am this morning so it does appear that the only delay is on DTT.

CBBC SD and HD hadn't moved TPs yet on Dsat or they hadnt about lunch time this afternoon, meaning BBC 3 SD and HD were still showing the slate that says programs will start at 7PM.
    So I think that the move on DTT will be linked to the move on Dsat tps.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A few channels with EPG data, but broadcasting only an off-air MHEG tonight. 4Extra, Asian, Radio Scotland in that state from Black Hill at present (haven't checked them all).
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Showing the same at present (except for about 0.5 second time delay on 302!).
  • Options
    the_viasat_guythe_viasat_guy Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC News still 544x576 too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few channels with EPG data, but broadcasting only an off-air MHEG tonight. 4Extra, Asian, Radio Scotland in that state from Black Hill at present (haven't checked them all).

I noticed that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC RB302, a simulcast of BBC RB1, has now closed on ArqB/COM6.

There are now 4.7 Mbps null packets on ArqB/COM6.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC RB302, a simulcast of BBC RB1, has now closed on ArqB/COM6.

There are now 4.7 Mbps null packets on ArqB/COM6.

Now trutv+1 can came to freeview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surprised that BBC RB302 hasn't moved back to multiplex BBC-A/PSB1as a placeholder for future use yet.