Options

ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wish that, instead of creating this Fellowes turkey, ITV had simply spent the budget re-filming ANTR with minor adjustments to the script (to clarify names - eg. naming the Duff Gordons and Ismay) and using modern effects. The thought of the 1958 movie with modern effects (or even the effects of the 1997 film) is incredibly exciting!

Or even including some different real-life passengers, like Michel Navratil and his two little sons. His marriage had broken down and he snatched his two little sons from their mother, planning to take them to the USA aboard the Titanic. He was lost but the children were saved - it took a while to identify the "Titanic Orphans". Really, the true stories are so much better than the fiction.

I've never really considered the Barbara Stanwyck film to be a "Titanic" film - it's a super film of its type, but not for its Titanic content.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the 1953 film. I didn't mind that it got a lot of things wrong, though the end was a bit strange, very suddenly cut off. Not a fan of the singing scene either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't resist and totally spoiled myself about who lives and who dies.
    Dammit! I knew Paolo would die!! :cry:Why!!? Why do you go for the easy tearjerker JF!? I am not happy.

And why the hell does Lord Bloody Manton (who I find irritating) survive instead? :mad:
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    Dammit! I knew Paolo would die!! :cry:Why!!? Why do you go for the easy tearjerker JF!? I am not happy.

And why the hell does Lord Bloody Manton (who I find irritating) survive instead? :mad:

where's the link?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Uh...if true, was it ever in doubt? It's Fellowes we're talking about, one of the most predictable writers in television.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I suspect this will be the last Titanic film / drama for a very very long time. After the centenary, with so many dramas documentaries and movies (including the 2nd largest BO of all time)... I think it has well and truly been done.

Oddly enough, I found myself thinking that a film of the Britannic disaster would be pretty compelling. I only recently read the details, it's hair raising stuff - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMHS_Britannic . Tell you what, here's the story - Violet Jessop survived sinkings of both Ttanic and Briattanic (and was even in a near-disaster on The Olympic, so she really had the full White Star disaster set). In the case of Britannic, she jumped from her lifeboat which was getting sucked into the propellers, then got sucked underwater. How much more dramatic do you want?! And hey, you only need to build one ship, just trash it 3 times. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Jessop

Hmm. Britannic centenary on November 21 2016.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uh...if true, was it ever in doubt? It's Fellowes we're talking about, one of the most predictable writers in television.

Nope. Sigh.
    We know Harry will die because he did on the real titanic, so there's already one Rose/Jack type story with him and Georgiana. Why do we had to have the same outcome for P/A as well. Oh well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where's the link?

Here's where I read it *warning - contains spoilers about who lives and dies*.

Not sure how this person has already seen it so it may not be true, but going off what clips and trailers I have seen promoting the show, it sounds about right.

http://whistlelikethis.tumblr.com/post/20857869166

Does anyone else think its odd that they gave so much away in the trailers? lol :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's where I read it *warning - contains spoilers about who lives and dies*.

Not sure how this person has already seen it so it may not be true, but going off what clips and trailers I have seen promoting the show, it sounds about right.

http://whistlelikethis.tumblr.com/post/20857869166

Does anyone else think its odd that they gave so much away in the trailers? lol :rolleyes:

thanks there's also a list on imdb that I found
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shall find out tonight

postie has just delivered the dvd
  • Options
    McdigestiveMcdigestive Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shall find out tonight

I wonder if Annie dies :(
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Annie dies :(

There was no real Annie Desmond on any crew list of the Titanic I've ever seen so she might be ok!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    Well, I suspect this will be the last Titanic film / drama for a very very long time. After the centenary, with so many dramas documentaries and movies (including the 2nd largest BO of all time)... I think it has well and truly been done.

Unfortunately it has never been done well.
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shall find out tonight

So I'm not the only one ordering the DVD then? :o

Please could you give us a spoiler free review for the last episode once you've watched it? Pretty please? :o:D:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    So I'm not the only one ordering the DVD then? :o

Please could you give us a spoiler free review for the last episode once you've watched it? Pretty please? :o:D:)

You might want a spoiler free review but I want a spoiler review! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might want a spoiler free review but I want a spoiler review! :D
    :o That spoiler button on that post from earlier is really tempting me... but I'll wait until Sunday to find out who lives and dies, even though the trailer pretty much gave it away. :confused:
  • Options
    Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love in that spoiler link that she calls the Irish woman 'Mrs Bates' because I can't think of her as anything else either!!!

:D:D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Yes - but the apparent choice of survivors is very odd? Amidst all the death and disaster surely you want some feelgood?

Also I didn't realise brandy had such strong powers!:D
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Has it sank yet?

Not the ship. The ratings I mean
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - but the apparent choice of survivors is very odd? Amidst all the death and disaster surely you want some feelgood?

Also I didn't realise brandy had such strong powers!:D

I do agree but at least it's different
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Post your spoilery review!! :)
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it has never been done well.

Your opinion - be that as it may, there will be no appetite after this frenzy for many, many, MANY years. For good or ill, It has been done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some "recently discovered" letters from the Duff Gordons shed new light on the sinking:
    Just when it could safely be assumed that every rivet of the Titanic had been examined, every myth exhausted and every survivor story told, chance has thrown up a rich hoard of new material written by two of the most vilified first-class passengers to escape drowning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/titanic-anniversary/9202821/Titanic-survivors-vindicated-at-last.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shall find out tonight

Did you watch it? Who died? I heard this episode is good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should I rewatch the last three episodes on youtube before the final one on Sunday? Tough, tough decisions. ;):p