The Blacklist starring James Spader (UK Pace) on Sky Living

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Yes, I see some parallels with the Following. A good concept and a strong cast but with difficulties in keeping the story interesting over a whole season. The Following only had a 16 episodes season while I suspect The Blacklist will be aiming for a full 22-24 episode run.
    I just hope that they steer clear of making Spader's character the young FBI agent's father. That would be right out of page 1 of the Big Book of TV Cliches
    I was going to make a seperate thread for this speculation but since you've brought it up....

I can't belive the can have done that. It was jumping up all through. Or have we been suckered in and it is a bluff or is it a double bluff.
    Is he more of a mentor to her father or visa versa?

It may be best to discuss this in a seperate thread though.
    I've started a thread on this if anyone wants to speculate and discuss it
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1895465
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    I did see the trailer and I did not rekonize him

Isit? :p
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    And Sky Living, for me, will remain the channel my wife sometimes watches. Just my opinion of course.
    I (a man) watch more on Sky Living then I do Sky One. Criminal Minds, Hannibal, Elementary, Nikita, BINTM, and I'll give BlackList a go as I've heard good things about it, and maybe Dracula. I don't watch Bones, Grey's Anatomy, Unforgettable, Mob Doctor or Chicago Fire, but that's not because they are too feminine. On Sky One I currently watch Arrow and Revolution, and that's all I can see in their listings. I used to watch more, but those shows ended and it seems most of the good new ones are on Sky Atlantic or Sky Living.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first episode and I thought it was excellent - I've long been a fan of James Spader and the could be an Emmy in this for him. The challenge for it will be how to keep the story going over a whole season or longer without it becoming a Villain of the Week show.

One of the best pilots I've seen for a long time - but I said that about Last Resort last year and that turned out to be a turkey.

Was Last Resort the submarine one? Started well, turned crap quickly.
    Forum Member
    Living have a new trailer out showcasing the new change of direction and shows they have coming up.

I do wonder if they should have rebranded the channel to attract more viewers who think that Living is a womans channel.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Living have a new trailer out showcasing the new change of direction and shows they have coming up.

I do wonder if they should have rebranded the channel to attract more viewers who think that Living is a womans channel.

i do not see it as a womans channel.
    but it should reband to something like sky drama.
    and sky living it to sky gold and it could air classics like brady bunch threes company lost in space time tunnel
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    Was Last Resort the submarine one? Started well, turned crap quickly.

That's right. The pilot was excellent (despite being a Crimson Tide ripoff) but after that they had no idea where they were going with the story and had to do a rushed ending when it was cancelled.

It's always dangerous to judge a show by its pilot.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the Sky Living logo is now silver and not pink.

For me, a name change is the only way it’ll shed its female/lifestyle image. The years and years of knowing UK Living / Living / Sky Living as a female/lifestyle can’t be reversed in my head. The word ‘Living’ needs to be changed if they really want to re-brand the channel.
    Forum Member

NoEntry2k wrote: »
    And the Sky Living logo is now silver and not pink.

For me, a name change is the only way it’ll shed its female/lifestyle image. The years and years of knowing UK Living / Living / Sky Living as a female/lifestyle can’t be reversed in my head. The word ‘Living’ needs to be changed if they really want to re-brand the channel.
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    i do not see it as a womans channel.
    You may not but I would guess that many do mainly because of the shows they had on in the past.
    As the other poster said it was/is seen as a female/lifestyle channel even though it has changed it's programming recently.
    I'm sure there are many people of both genders who just skip past it.

They can't make it Sky Drama as they've recently started that up for classic dramas on Sky & Freeview. Possibly missed a trick there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right. The pilot was excellent (despite being a Crimson Tide ripoff) but after that they had no idea where they were going with the story and had to do a rushed ending when it was cancelled.

It's always dangerous to judge a show by its pilot.

The pilot was edgy and engaging, I was looking forward to a compelling show and all we got was some people with "issues" on an island.

It is a fair point you make, lets hope this doesn't follow that path!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bump.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the opener via OnDemand. Intriguing stuff. Won't say anything else 'til it's aired. But this may be a keeper.

The Pilot of the Following had a very slight whiff of something off to it, which just grew stronger as it rotted away. Blacklist maintained my interest right to the closing credits. It has something about it. Hope it keeps this up. I think it will depend on the balance of procedural to arc in each episode, assuming that's how it progresses.

Of all the new shows I'm watching this stood out as the most promising.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's the actor from Homeland. Brodies friend. The one who's screwing his missus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the actor from Homeland. Brodies friend. The one who's screwing his missus.

Diego Klattenhoff:p

James Spader's middle name is Todd. One for the BrBa fans;):D:D
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Of all the new shows I'm watching this stood out as the most promising.

Have you watched Masters Of Sex yet, or plan to watch on Channel 4 on Tuesday? That's the best of the new crop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaaah the old traffic diversion cliché to abduct someone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Have you watched Masters Of Sex yet, or plan to watch on Channel 4 on Tuesday? That's the best of the new crop.

Going to watch that at Ch4 pace - 12 eps is it not?. Looking forward to it.
  • RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    " babe I don't need to take the car"

that my me laugh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How did Zimonec (or whatever his name is) know where she lives?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    These shows really make the police and FBI look like the Keystone Cops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaah the old traffic diversion cliché to abduct someone.

Maybe so but it was well done.

I particularly liked that Spader had said exactly what would happen and in spite of their security, it still did. Bit of a 24 vibe there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it was nonsense but watchable nonsense.
  • square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    It feels a bit lightweight, not much gravitas about it, unlike say Homeland or 24.

Guess its going to go down the 'villain of the week' route.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,929
    Forum Member
    I thought it was well done but it's clear that the writers have tried to include every half plausible twist and turn that they can think of. But I didn't think that it was any cornier than Homeland, which is just as unbelievable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I thought it was well done but it's clear that the writers have tried to include every half plausible twist and turn that they can think of. But I didn't think that it was any cornier than Homeland, which is just as unbelievable.

It was much better than Homeland though - something actually happened during the episode. There weren't lots of moody shots and dreary family scenes.