Options

What is the best soap at the moment?

Comments

• Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    It gets the highest ratings for soap all the time. BGT was on for a week.

Not according to the consolidated ratings. It's pretty neck and neck during usual transmission. It'll be interesting when iPlayer's figures are counted.
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Eastenders
    Corrie is fair bit behind and with the upcoming SLs it will remain
    Hollyoaks is bottom and dire.

Don't watch ED enough to give it a fair rating
  • Options
    screammynamescreammyname Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I think it must be very much a north/south divide on the opinion of soaps. For me (a northerner) eastenders is dire, full of misery and has been in a steady decline for some time. I must admit however that the new producer seems to have stopped the rot but it will take some time for it to be considered a decent soap to watch.

Corrie is recognised as being the nations number 1 soap, not just in this country but all over the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    It's not really rubbish chloe, it's been going since 1960 so if it was as bad as you're making out then it would have been axed many years ago.

Unlike eastenders which doesn't really reflect real life , corrie has it all. :)
    Okay i understand what you say but there no need saying eastenders is rubbish and needs to get axed you wouldn't like it if i say to corrie
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it must be very much a north/south divide on the opinion of soaps. For me (a northerner) eastenders is dire, full of misery and has been in a steady decline for some time. I must admit however that the new producer seems to have stopped the rot but it will take some time for it to be considered a decent soap to watch.

Corrie is recognised as being the nations number 1 soap, not just in this country but all over the world.

Not in Canada it's not or at one time BBC America
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chloe07 wrote: »
    Okay i understand what you say but there no need saying eastenders is rubbish and needs to get axed you wouldn't like it if i say to corrie

Ok, fair enough :) everyone has an opinion sorry if I caused offence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, fair enough :) everyone has an opinion sorry if I caused offence
    In my opinion i found hollyoaks and eastenders to be the best because they have more drama and everyone talks about it on twitter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In my opinion i found hollyoaks and eastenders to be the best because they have more drama and everyone talks about it on twitter

I've heard a lot of people mention Hollyoaks as being a good soap but must admit i've never really watched it , I usually get in from work at around 7pm so never really catch it. It did well at the recent soap awards didn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've heard a lot of people mention Hollyoaks as being a good soap but must admit i've never really watched it , I usually get in from work at around 7pm so never really catch it. It did well at the recent soap awards didn't it?
    You should watch hollyoaks it is very good it has a mixture of both happy and bad stuff. If you watch it you will like it. Neighbours is very underrated aswell in my opinion i think neighbours is the best soap because the things that happens in it is realistic and it very happy soap
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always preferred Emmerdale. But I admire Corrie because they have retained some of the long standing characters, and that mixture of old and new makes it more realistic. However how much I like Emmerdale, I feel it's hard to believe that apart from the odd two (Eric and Donna) there is no one else that was in it before the plane crash. It's a small village and the turnover of locals wouldn't change like that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You should watch hollyoaks it is very good it has a mixture of both happy and bad stuff. If you watch it you will like it. Neighbours is very underrated aswell in my opinion i think neighbours is the best soap because the things that happens in it is realistic and it very happy soap

I will try thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will try thanks :)
    Have you ever watch neighbours
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abbottab wrote: »
    I've always preferred Emmerdale. But I admire Corrie because they have retained some of the long standing characters, and that mixture of old and new makes it more realistic. However how much I like Emmerdale, I feel it's hard to believe that apart from the odd two (Eric and Donna) there is no one else that was in it before the plane crash. It's a small village and the turnover of locals wouldn't change like that!

You cannot help the actors wanting to leave.

Plus, I bet Alan Turner and Jack Sugden would be there now if the actors (RIP) hadn't passed away.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Personally despite popular opinion I've enjoyed Corrie the most overall this year. I've rarely got bored ever since Maria caught Todd and Marcus at it.

Eastenders for me is quite hit and miss. When it's good, it's REALLY good but when it's not so good.... see Sonia/Tina/Tosh week for details!

Those are my two ultimate favourites but I think ED and HO are producing some decent entertainment as well. I wouldn't say any of them are at the top of their game but none are anywhere near EE 2006 or 2013 dire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    That's obvious. Eastenders is the best soap atm. I know they had a bad period last year with Lorraine Newman as EP but DTC is really fixing things.
  • Options
    daryl_spicerdaryl_spicer Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because ITV promotes too much when really it is rubbish and britian's got talent helps it during the may week

New dealer required:cool:
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abbottab wrote: »
    However how much I like Emmerdale, I feel it's hard to believe that apart from the odd two (Eric and Donna) there is no one else that was in it before the plane crash. It's a small village and the turnover of locals wouldn't change like that!

It's a bit disappointing that Emmerdale haven't been able to keep hold of some of the early cast (still annoyed Viv and Terry were discarded so carelessly), but Edna and the Dingles supposed to have been in the village since pre-plane crash at least, even if they weren't seen on screen.

As for the OP's question, I think Emmerdale's been the most consistent this year so far. Corrie comes second for me as although it's extremely hit and miss at the moment, if better characterisation was worked on, it wouldn't be so bad. Tried and failed to get into EastEnders on a few occasions and never been able to connect with the characters or become interested in the plots and the others don't even interest me enough to give them a watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You cannot help the actors wanting to leave.

Plus, I bet Alan Turner and Jack Sugden would be there now if the actors (RIP) hadn't passed away.

True....but some were pushed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit disappointing that Emmerdale haven't been able to keep hold of some of the early cast (still annoyed Viv and Terry were discarded so carelessly), but Edna and the Dingles supposed to have been in the village since pre-plane crash at least, even if they weren't seen on screen.

As for the OP's question, I think Emmerdale's been the most consistent this year so far. Corrie comes second for me as although it's extremely hit and miss at the moment, if better characterisation was worked on, it wouldn't be so bad. Tried and failed to get into EastEnders on a few occasions and never been able to connect with the characters or become interested in the plots and the others don't even interest me enough to give them a watch.

I'm annoyed too about Terry and Viv...waste. Kathy got the push in 2001 after 16 years, Rachel Hughes was pushed (sorry about the pun) in 1999 after 11 years...to highlight how much has changed in 10/15 years just look at Annie's return in 2009, practically nobody left she knew!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie is improving and it will always remain the best soap.
    However, although it's not doing too bad atm, it's not the best soap atm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Eastenders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Eastenders!
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    star89 wrote: »
    Why does it get the highest ratings then :confused:
    Ratings are not a sign of quality.
    I think that's probably true, that Corrie is seen as the nation's #1 soap, especially since EE has declined more so in recent years. However, Corrie is not the #1 soap in the world.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale for me - it's just the most all-round entertaining, and the relationships feel a bit more real and less forced - probably because a lot of the cast have worked together a long time and there's a lot of history respected between the characters.

I can't be doing with Easties or Corrie at the moment - they both seem a bit weird to me, trying a bit hard.

I haven't watched Hollyoaks for a long while, but I saw a couple of minutes while I was on holiday last week, and I thought it was jaw-droppingly bad. But I don't think you can really compare the Oaks with the others - it feels aimed at a very very young audience now.