X Factor revamp! Dream panel Simon Cowell, Mairead Nash, Marina Diamandis Scott Mills

2»

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I've said all along and i'll repeat it here that as long as the judges are also mentors we are unlikely to get constructive criticism , in addition given the so obviously scripted nature of the comments it doesn't really matter who the warm bodies sitting in the seats are if they are just basically saying what the producers want them to say
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    I've said all along and i'll repeat it here that as long as the judges are also mentors we are unlikely to get constructive criticism , in addition given the so obviously scripted nature of the comments it doesn't really matter who the warm bodies sitting in the seats are if they are just basically saying what the producers want them to say

Absolutely! Of course, mentoring is one of the USPs when compared with Idol and so they can't drop it for fear of copyright infringement.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the role of the judges actually is. Clearly, they add a bit of glamour, but their comments are irrelevant as I've been blessed with the capacity for independent thought. When they then go and pick people like Barlow as a judge, a performer I find difficult to respect, it goes to actually undermine the credibility of the whole show.

I'd scrap the judges completely and have Live voting by the public - those so inclined will find a wealth of comment and opinion on Social Media.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    If you're having Scott, you've gotta have Chris Stark on the Xtra Factor.

Just get Scott and Chris to do Xtra Factor anyway
  • kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mark e a wrote: »
    To me the panel needs to be in the ratio 3 non-performing music industry insiders (e.g. Nicky Chapman, Nigel Lithgoe, Simon, that A&R bloke from Pop Stars) to give honest, sometimes harsh, critique, plus one successful performing artist who can bridge between the panel, performers and the public.

But the panel isn't the only problem with the show. Some other things I think need tinkering with:

1. Enough of the cruel/pointless twists. They don't add tension, they just annoy the audience. E.g. judges sending home their acts on first live show in 2011. I think in the same year when they sent home a third of the acts at bootcamp before they performed. This year's 6 seats, Flashvote ... etc

2. Keep the sob stories. Yes I know that sounds an odd thing to want, but these have been integral to these programs since they started. However they need to be REAL sob stories. The public get annoyed by people crying because they might have to go back to their job as a builder, supermarket worker, housekeeper. Having a job is not a sob story. (Other examples are - my Nan not being dead, and I got a bird up the duff). REAL sob stories are the death of a close relative, disability following an illness/accident, living on the streets etc). However sob stories should be used sparingly and not brought up every week or misused (e.g. Daniel Evan's dedicating sing off song to his wife which immediately signed Scott Bruton's death warrant on the show)

3. Less padding. At times it's becoming a pseudo-Top of the Pops. Whereas the results show used to have a guest performer, now there are two in that show and a performance at the start of the main show. I like the contestant VTs, but there is too much superfluous rubbish, The judges coming on to stage is an example. Everyone who watches knows who they are but each episode the announcer shouts their names out as they come on stage and THEN Dermot REPEATS it. Think back to 2004 when the judges were just plonked into a corner and mentioned by Kate Thornton when they were required to say anything. In my view there should be two performances/auditions before the first ad break.

4. Be more open with the public. People are far wiser about how the show works. For instance, don't show huge crowds waiting to be auditioned, as if the judges will see all of them, when we know the vast majority will be seen and sent packing by junior producers.

5. If you have themes in the live shows - stick with them. This problem isn't as acute this series, but in the past on ROCK week Little Mix performed a dance mash up of Push It and Tic Tok but it was rock cos it sampled a guitar in it. The point of theme weeks is to show of the contestants versatility. For instance, Leona could take on any genre of song thrown at her,

6. Understand that taking a popular song and singing it slowly a lower key, taking out the harder parts of the melody , and having a piano or acoustic guitar, is NOT original or making it your own - particularly if the same arrangement has recently been done on another country's version of the show

Well said, Some very valid points made here.
  • mark e amark e a Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you

That said I think the format is tired.

If you take 2000-4 there was a different reality show on each year - you had PopStars, Pop Idol, PSTR, Pop Idol 2 , X factor

Ever since it's been Xfactor every year