Options

Dogs and fleas

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My Lola keeps getting fleas all the time and I have no idea what to do now. We've tried Frontline, Bob Martin and lots of other flea treatments, used special shampoos, had the carpets cleaned professionally, wash all the beddings, throws on the furniture etc all the time and she's still picking them up.

Any help would be really appreciated, she has enough going on with her eyes problems, without fleas annoying her too. Bless her

Comments

• Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best thing to do is get her to the vet and get something there to treat the home and her, a lot of animals are becomming immune to frontline so try something like advantage but stay away from shop brought ones like bob martins, ive heard awful things about those.
    Just cleaning the carpets wont kill the flea eggs and they can stay in the carpet for a long time before hatching.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Bob Martins and Frontline, are no good to man or beast. Fleas have developed an immunity.
    Only product I can recommend is Advocate. Its prescription only, so you'll have to see your vet about it, and get it from them, or get a written prescription to buy it off the internet.

RIP or Indoorex for the house to deal with the eggs and larvae. You'll have to hit hard for a few months to get on top of it due to the life cycle of the flea.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valeter10 wrote: »
    Bob Martins and Frontline, are no good to man or beast. Fleas have developed an immunity.
    Only product I can recommend is Advocate. Its prescription only, so you'll have to see your vet about it, and get it from them, or get a written prescription to buy it off the internet.

RIP or Indoorex for the house to deal with the eggs and larvae. You'll have to hit hard for a few months to get on top of it due to the life cycle of the flea.

Advantage is just as effective as advocate and available without a prescription.

once applied, it should kill all adult fleas on your dog within 24-48 hours and it also has an effect on flea larvae.
    i'm not entirely sure, but cleaning your carpet with a steam mop may destroy the eggs, but they're very resilient.

another poster recommends calling in the council to spray for fleas, costing around £50.

please remember to worm your dog as well as the fleas can carry tapeworms

your vet can offer more advice if you really get stuck
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a flea repellent collar as well as drops may be of benefit once the fleas are cleared, beaphar make a herbal one which contains lavandin oil alongside Neem oil and seems to work quite well.

take the collar off for around a week when applying a spot on, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all, we have a vets appointment on Thursday because her eye problem is getting worse so I will bring it up then. It must be so uncomfortable, poor Lola