Naturo dog food

confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've seen this in Tesco at £1 a tray.
Seems to be not too bad regards ingredients.... Has anybody bought this? Did it go down well with your dog?
I use JWB dry but like to top it with a bit of wet. Might give it a try!:)

Comments

• AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry have not seen it, I feed my dogs raw.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't tried it OP we have to feed gluten free but if the ingredients aren't too bad might be worth giving it a try.
  • confuddledconfuddled Posts: 3,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From memory it was 100% natural ingredients....the duck variety had 60% duck and 20% brown rice. It also contained real veg and oils and minerals.
    I think they had duck and rice, salmon and something and perhaps Turkey . I will get some tomorrow and let you know how my boy gets on:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I've seen something similar in Asda. I think it's the supermarkets equivalent to Naturediet (which I do feed) but I haven't looked into how ingredients compare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen something similar in Asda. I think it's the supermarkets equivalent to Naturediet (which I do feed) but I haven't looked into how ingredients compare.

No it's not a supermarket own.... A web search says it's a company that launched in 2010 based in Ireland.

Sorry couldn't link it from my ipad:)
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.naturopetfoods.com/2/welcome-to-naturo-petfoods-online-store/

i actually saw this in tesco on monday and bought a tray of the duck variety (double staff discount this week so only 80p for us, worth a punt even if my boy doesn't like it, i thought!)

not opened it yet, but he'll likely have half of it for his evening meal tomorrow so i'll report back

Composition:

Duck 60%, Brown Rice 20%, Carrots 5%, Peas 5%, Potatoes 5%, Minerals, Sunflower Oil, Salmon Oil, Dried Tomato, Dried Kelp, Dried Basil, Various Sugars.
    Additives:
    Nutritional Additives: Vitamin A 3000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 420 iu/kg, Vitamin E 40mg/kg, Vitamin B complex 26.3mg/kg, Manganese Sulphate 127.12 mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 107.14 mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 0.89mg/kg, Calcium Iodate 0.62 mg/kg.
    Analytical Constituents:

Protein 10.0%, Fat content 7.0%, Inorganic Matter 2.5%, Crude Fibre 1.0%, Moisture 75%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xdow wrote: »
    http://www.naturopetfoods.com/2/welcome-to-naturo-petfoods-online-store/

i actually saw this in tesco on monday and bought a tray of the duck variety (double staff discount this week so only 80p for us, worth a punt even if my boy doesn't like it, i thought!)

not opened it yet, but he'll likely have half of it for his evening meal tomorrow so i'll report back

Composition:

Duck 60%, Brown Rice 20%, Carrots 5%, Peas 5%, Potatoes 5%, Minerals, Sunflower Oil, Salmon Oil, Dried Tomato, Dried Kelp, Dried Basil, Various Sugars.
    Additives:
    Nutritional Additives: Vitamin A 3000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 420 iu/kg, Vitamin E 40mg/kg, Vitamin B complex 26.3mg/kg, Manganese Sulphate 127.12 mg/kg, Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate 107.14 mg/kg, Sodium Selenite 0.89mg/kg, Calcium Iodate 0.62 mg/kg.
    Analytical Constituents:

Protein 10.0%, Fat content 7.0%, Inorganic Matter 2.5%, Crude Fibre 1.0%, Moisture 75%.

I'm not a dog nutritionalist but that doesn't sound too bad to me.
    I bought the salmon, duck and turkey on Monday, but the turkey is for seniors... My mistake, the salmon smelled like tinned salmon and actually looked better than some terrines I've had:) the duck also looked good with loads of rice and veg.... My dog has wolfed it down, so it seems a massive paws up from him:)
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the fact that it has meat as the first ingredient and that it has real vegetables and brown rice (which is about the best grain you can give to a dog). However, the various sugars and dried tomato are a slight concern. If you can get to Pets at Home, then they stock Wainwrights (their own brand), Fishmongers, Naturediet, Nature's Menu, Nature's Harvest, Arden Grange, Forthglade and Applaws. I have used several of those (Wainwrights, Fishmongers and Forthglade) for my two dogs as mixers with their dry food (I now have a Greyhound as well as a Lurcher :) ) and they have done well on them. They range from cans to trays and average £1 each. If I can remember correctly, none of them contain tomato or added sugar. I am concerned about the tomato as you cannot be sure of how ripe they were at the time of being dried. Unripe or green tomatoes contain a substance that can be dangerous to dogs. Feeding a food that has got added sugar on a regular basis can affect teeth, weight and energy levels.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the added sugars worried me a little too, it would be interesting to know why the company thought they were needed?

the tomato doesn;t bother me as much, but as you mention, they can be harmful in certain circumstances.

neither worry me in the case of my dog as he only has wet food once in a blue moon as a treat
    but i wouldn't like the added sugar every day for him.

apologies for the poor quality, but my phone isn;t fantastic camera-wise

but for anyone interested, here's a photo of it open - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/XDOW/Photo2310_zps748a8e73.jpg

i've certainly seen more appetising foods, but the smell is quite pleasant for a dog food! :D

there are small pieces of veg through it, carrot, peas and potato all visible
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/XDOW/Photo2312_zps95d570d5.jpg

and it was definitely approved of anyway - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/XDOW/Photo2314_zps0646136c.jpg :D:D

as he still has kibble along side, this tray should last him three days, so the 72 hour life once opened is perfect :)
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Might give this a try. We feed our lab Orijen at the moment so will be good to see if this is just as good for a fraction of the cost
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say added sugars worry me too much as long as it isn't OTT amounts as ours have fairly regularly fruit so they have a fair amount of sugar anyway.

Key thing is try these things and see how the dog does on them, I am certain one size does fit all with food as we have to feed different food to each of our dogs because one is gluten intolerant and the other hates anything with gravy and prefers fruit and vegetables to meat. So we try to meet all their needs and can't do that with just one food.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Might give this a try. We feed our lab Orijen at the moment so will be good to see if this is just as good for a fraction of the cost

I'd be interested to hear your comparison:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog has been on this as a topper for a couple of weeks now and seems to love it... I'm finding he's leaving a few more kibbles in the bowl (JWB) so maybe he's getting bored with that. I might need to find a good alternative to that:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    my cocker spaniel hasn't been getting on with tinned or tray dog food as she seems to not process it well especially beef. Have tried this food and she loves it her stools are always better formed and she is looking healthy and with a shiny coat. Try this its good value and much better than typical tinned muck
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I gave this to my dog when he was Ill towards the end of his life. He had stopped eating his usual food and was really only eating very bland things. He enjoyed it and I feel it kept him going for a bit longer.