Options

Doctor Who: In the Forest of the Night - 25/10/14 (BBC One/HD - 8.20pm) Discussion

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    That episode was just awful.
    When other members of your family and friends ring you up afterwards and all say 'what rubbish' it means something.
    Noone I knew thought that was any good.
    Oh dear!
    Not much more I can say.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thorr wrote: »
    So, presumably Nelson's Column is still in pieces and the zoo animals are on the streets. Crickey that was pants!

I was just thinking the same thing :p. Yeah, they probably should have wrapped that up...
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Oh dear . . .
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJB 2007 wrote: »
    An episode this weak should not be placed this late in the series run..

;)

I thought that too.

Looking at the poll already, it's clearly been received a "meh" episode.

They should have ramped up the finale hype with Mathiesons episodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was easily the worst of the series. It was pants.

To much Danny. To many kids. And nothing actually happened. The Doctor wasn't required to save the day other than make a phone call. Utterly rubbish.

The finale does look immense.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that felt distinctly average bordering on awful for me, I just don't think I got that episode in any respect.

Everyone seemed so non-plussed by the whole forest out of nowhere that us as viewers trying to be in awe of it just wasn't going to happen. If they weren't scared, how was I meant to be? The wolf bit with the tiger after it was just odd as well and jarred (although I gather it was to up the tension, which there really wasn't any)

Peter was okay but still off for me, Jenna was so-so and Samuel as Danny was the same bland as ever, even his reasonings for not travelling in the TARDIS felt a little flat. The majority of the kids were fairly pointless if I'm honest, although the one playing Maeve did well I thought but the whole plot felt weird for her. I don't quite think I understood what just happened.

The ending felt a little odd too, I got that but it still felt odd. The trailer for next week really didn't do anything for me sadly. The trailers for this series have been really awful it has to be said.

So....I've still only liked 2 episodes from Series 8 thus far, this is by far the worst series since it came back for me...
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God that was dull. Really badly constructed and really bland. A real step down from the last two.

At least the conflict between the Doctor and Clara in the finale looks interesting. The trailer was obviously cut to make Clara look 'evil' but I highly doubt it. More like something along the lines of Danny dies in the next episode and Clara is desperately trying to bring him back which puts her in conflict with what the Doctor wants and this is something set up by Missy all along (who is presumable the one who arranges Danny's death).
  • Options
    BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sealeg wrote: »
    Hmm, looks like there's a fair bit of Danny Pink in this ep. Wonder which of his two facial expressions he'll use this week, neutral or slightly confused.

It was "slightly confused" all the way through:( And just telling us that the Clara/Danny relationship is a "thing" doesn't work, there's nothing there between the actors, no chemistry at all.

This episode was all over the place, and where did they find those kids? The little dark haired girl wasn't bad but the others were just irritating. They all seem very well spoken for London state school kids too.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful episode. What a complete waste of time. So many plot holes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Oh dear . . .

Couldn't have put it any better :p
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat is overplaying his hand as showrunner I don't think this story should have been allowed in the form it was. Remember RTD? saying Moffats stories were the only ones he didn't alter or ask for changes. Can we assume moffat is just allowing these writers to have free reign and that's why the Quality of the series is up and down? PC really came into his own the last 2 weeks for me and tonight I just felt he dived weeks back.

As for Danny pink and Clara the guy is now officially doing my head in
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Well whoever did write this should give it up, honestly, PC is wonderful as always but the writer has no idea how to form a decent story.

That would be the award winning novelist and screenwriter Frank Cottrell Boyce. How many awards have you won for your writing?
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You want to know the impact this episode left? Everyone on Twitter is talking about the next time trailer and the finale instead...

It was terrible.
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That'll hardly go down as a Doctor Who classic and easily wins the award for worst episode of the series considering the quality that came before it, but it still beats 'Fear Her' for me anyway.

The solution, if you can call it one was obvious when the good Doctor mentioned the extra oxygen the trees were producing prevented the trees from burning. But the return of the sister had no proper explanation that I could see.

The next time trailer looks phenomenal. Did Missy create The Doctor the perfect companion so she could possess her at the right time?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    So a small child calls and says the trees are your friends, and you accept it, I hang up and assume its a prank call

It only had to get through to certain people not everybody had to understand it it's not like the average guy in the street had the tech to destroy them they had already proven that.

Who needed to know were places like UNIT who will have know it came from the TARDIS so from The Doctor and called it off.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So bad that I'd rather watch an episode of Selfie.
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Really trying to come up with something constructive to say, but... well... that was just crap, wasn't it?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was Doctor Who, not the Sarah Jane Adventures.

Danny Pink really is one of the worst characters i've ever seen in anything. His "jealousy" of the Doctor is laughable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Interesting More than spectacular but less wooden than the X Factor
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    God that was dull. Really badly constructed and really bland. A real step down from the last two.

At least the conflict between the Doctor and Clara in the finale looks interesting. The trailer was obviously cut to make Clara look 'evil' but I highly doubt it. More like something along the lines of Danny dies in the next episode and Clara is desperately trying to bring him back which puts her in conflict with what the Doctor wants and this is something set up by Missy all along (who is presumable the one who arranges Danny's death).

Feel the same way Moffat can face one thing PC's first series is so up and down and I don't blame the actor its proven when the scripts are good he shines when the story is crap it just shows in everything.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the first time ever, I've voted poor - we were having such a good run of episodes too.

It wasn't awful for me, but blimey it was close to it.

Still, next weeks looks promising :)
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good looking episode I thought. Rather reminiscent of the Jon Pertwee eco conscious stories. What I really came to post about was about how impressive I thought Capaldi's character was played at the start of the show. He could have been the first doctor and really set the tone for the series as a whole: alien, enigmatic, strange and fascinating.
  • Options
    ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Clara is bad, Its a shame she wont be, but could be a fun twist if she ends up getting close to the doctor to hurt him
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with others. Danny Pink is a awful character, The blandest of the bland and Clara in most episodes is just annoying. Too confident and full of herself.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    See, I thought this had potential to be a good story and it showed a fair amount of effort but I was waiting for the ubiquitous "big red button" to sort it all out at the end but, apparently, it didn't happen which leaves us with a lot of unanswered questions.

Could have done without the kids, Danny Pink is continuing to be a pious arsehole, the Doctor's lack of knowledge about these events of Earth's future-history is troubling, Missy's role is moving from cryptic to downright obscure and there's still little in the way of a plot-arc to embrace.

Are we really to believe that Earth has been protected by tree-fairies all through history and this has perpetually escaped the Doctor's notice throughout millenia of time travel?

Also, where were the tree-fairies when the Sontarans were monkeying around with Atmos, for example?

Could have been a decent story but, faced with all the inconsistencies, average is the best I can give it.