Eastenders - does the soap still make sense?

Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
Forum Member
✭✭
Now dont get me wrong, this isn't a nasty thread where I'am dissing eastenders, I watch it every week and am huge fan.

but things are starting to happen that are complete nonsense, for example:

*Denise originally hated Lucas, now she's started to warm to him a bit (maybe)?

*Since when would Ronnie ever resort to a lunch date with Max?

*why would you bury your husband in a coffin and then resort to dating his brother?

*and Sean and Roxy are a really unrealistic couple

Comments

• WardogzWardogz Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Rob22 wrote: »
    Now dont get me wrong, this isn't a nasty thread where I'am dissing eastenders, I watch it every week and am huge fan.

but things are starting to happen that are complete nonsense, for example:

*why would you bury your husband in a coffin and then resort to dating his brother?

*and Sean and Roxy are a really unrealistic couple

Easternders is in another low point again for me, I just cant sit down and watch it anymore. The story lines have become so predictable and repetitive (especially the Sean and Roxy one, its obvious it wont work out) .

Basically the format is

Bad person- turns nice and wins people over - turns bad again- given a second chance - turns bad again.

The same can be applied to pretty much every EE story.

The best story in recent years was Ben Vs Stella.
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wardogz wrote: »
    The best story in recent years was Ben Vs Stella.

Agreed.

the Ben V Stella thing was brilliantly done.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I don't think inexplicable things have only just started to happen. All soaps for years now have been guilty of having characters take complete u-turns in their personalities.

How many times have Pat and Peggy hated each other, been friends, hated each other, been friends?

Jane's dislike for Christian that had been going on for years and years is suddenly resolved without any real explanation in one episode.

Wardogz makes a good point, there is a basic format. Some characters are so clearly past their sell by date because they just go round in circles. Billy Mitchell is a prime example of this. Now in spoilers for people who don't know
    Ok, people don't resolve their debt problems over night, but for a television audience, they don't want to see a re-hash of the same thing over and over. And itr seems we are going to have to go through all that again.

I don't mind soaps doing over the top unrealistic stories as they are more interesting to watch. But I do object when there are just lazy inconsistencies in characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soaps never make sense!

I think one of the main problems that soaps have is that if they were to drag out actual events in the same time period that we would expect them to happen in real life it just wouldn't be interesting to watch.

I actually think that EastEnders has improved recently and I like this Sean/Roxy/Jack/Ronnie/Tanya/Max storyline that's going on.

It's also summer when I think soaps just try to fill episodes and have to use mundane and often boring episodes to start to really build up their Christmas storylines.
  • Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Anythings possible. I hate how people criticise soaps for being unrealistic.
  • thekingsheadthekingshead Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I can't believe people are slating EastEnders when they can see what sort of terrible state Coronation Street is in. I mean EastEnders has been on fantastic form for the last year and a half to be honest, It's fresh and exciting and not at all dull like Coronation Street.

Even if Roxy and Sean's relationship is unlikely it's realistic too. I'm liking the Ronnie and Max development too looks like this will be a good story. I'm looking forward to Bianca's Boyfriend arriving also more of Archie and Suzie Branning.

Looking forward to tonight's episode with the lunchtime meeting. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anythings possible. I hate how people criticise soaps for being unrealistic.

Fair point.

but soaps need to be realistic. where's the fun in watching something that's unrealistic?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    Ahhh well i love EastEnders, i don't mind if it isn't realistic at times because its still a Brilliant Soap.
  • LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe people are slating EastEnders when they can see what sort of terrible state Coronation Street is in. I mean EastEnders has been on fantastic form for the last year and a half to be honest, It's fresh and exciting and not at all dull like Coronation Street.

Because this isn't a thread about Coronation Street. It's about Eastenders and the other soaps, whatever their quality is like, shouldn't be brought into it.

And I agree, Eastenders is awful at the minute. Sean/Roxy/Ronnie/Max/Tanya/Jack pre-occupy every episode and I'm sick of it.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Fair point.

but soaps need to be realistic. where's the fun in watching something that's unrealistic?

I would argue the opposite.
  • Maidenfan666Maidenfan666 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    lmao! what s stunningly, almost charmingly stupid thread. the things you have pointd out ARE unrealistic yes, but theyre so damn random. its odd youve chosen only to pick on this soap at this time, seeing how ALL soaps EVERY EPISODE tend to have leaps in logic that are as obvious aas anything. soaps are never that realistic for the most part, with logic defying plots always existing hand in hand with attempts at realism. its odd, also, that the things you pointed out arent even anywhere near the larger leaps in logic eastenders or any other soap for that matter, makes.
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    but things are starting to happen that are complete nonsense,
    There's been a lot of nonsense in EE recently, as I've pointed out in other threads on here. Just a few glaring examples:

* The whole betting-shop scenario: getting staff to write out bets, issuing blank slips, making money with no knowledge of betting - complete and utter rubbish.

* Winning over £5000 with 5 lottery numbers. The prize would be £2 - £3K tops.

* The spider in the bananas - a harmless variety that doesn't inhabit banana-growing countries.

* Last night: the Masoods preparing a complete banquet in a couple of hours, when they didn't even have all the ingredients in the morning.

There are loads more, but that'll do for now.
    Forum Member
    Fair point.

its called escapism: in other words, what fictional television programmes were invented for.
  • Harris_07Harris_07 Posts: 27,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE is starting to lose the plot a little. There should be some storylines that can actually be believable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lmao! what s stunningly, almost charmingly stupid thread

Why is a stupid thread? because you wasn't the one who created it right?

if maidenfan666 created it, the thread would be brilliant and exciting right? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    I would argue the opposite.

Yes me to
    Forum Member
    Why is a stupid thread? because you wasn't the one who created it right?

if maidenfan666 created it, the thread would be brilliant and exciting right? :rolleyes:

not really, if you had read what i said you would understand, why resort to childish comments like the above?

sorry if i offended you, but please read what i actually wrote below that perticular piece of text.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a dedicated EE fan I feel obliged to watch all episodes in case I miss the good ones.:)
  • A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    As a dedicated EE fan I feel obliged to watch all episodes in case I miss the good ones.:)

Indeed. EE has sporadic days when its genius like The Pub Raid, Christmas, Dot's Monologue and Frank's Funeral but then just to become utter sh1te for the rest of the time.

I cant be bothered watching at the mo. I'll try and get back into it in the winter.

Still my favourite soap though and I anticipate it will get better. I've seen it far worse than it is currently. Emmerdale and Corrie are equally as pants at the moment though aswell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen EE a lot worse than it is at the moment.

Yes its not as exciting as it has been

The whole tanya and jack thing has made it less interesting for me cannot abide that pair on screen.

It is possible for her to warm to him as he is not the person he was before, doesnt excuse what he did to her and chelsea but people do change and maybe he deserves a second chance.

Because her and max kinda work as a team though max being max wants more. Ronnie can handle him and if it means annoying jack and tanya then she will go along with it.

I do agree with this

:D

Still watch and love EE though
  • BertypopBertypop Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    There's been a lot of nonsense in EE recently, as I've pointed out in other threads on here. Just a few glaring examples:

* The whole betting-shop scenario: getting staff to write out bets, issuing blank slips, making money with no knowledge of betting - complete and utter rubbish.

Now, I might be wrong, but didnt that happen nearly 5 years ago?
  • glow_wormglow_worm Posts: 2,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So because of some things that don't make sense to the OP, the whole show no longer makes sense?
    bargepole wrote: »

* Winning over £5000 with 5 lottery numbers. The prize would be £2 - £3K tops.

* The spider in the bananas - a harmless variety that doesn't inhabit banana-growing countries.

* Last night: the Masoods preparing a complete banquet in a couple of hours, when they didn't even have all the ingredients in the morning.

There are loads more, but that'll do for now.
    How do you know the spider didn't get into the box of bananas in the UK? We've already established that your point about it being harmless is invalid as it never actually bit Charlie just shocked him. And most people would be shocked to see a spider that size on them. I too would've had an hysterical reaction. Whether it's poisonous or not I would be terrified if I saw a spider that big. And not everyone prides themselves on knowing that much about spiders. Because you're a spider boffin it doesn't mean other people are, least of all in Walford!
  • WardogzWardogz Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I personally don't mind when EE does over the top unrealistic story lines just as long as they are well scripted and original. I liked the Tanya and Max burying story, yes it was OTT but the dialog in the episode was superb.

EE cant be realistic all the time without being boring, because lets be honest in the real world a street similar to the EE square would never see as much drama in 10 years as EE does in 1 year.

It is very hard for them to keep the show original when its on 4 times every week so I don't mind the occasional repeated story, but i like to have at least one big new refreshing story going on all the time, with other smaller repeated ones fitted around it.

In my opinion the problem with EE at the moment is 95% of the stories are rehashes done in a slightly different way and for me there is no big gripping story building up.

But thats just my opinion, I'm sure others are more than happy with EE's current state and thats OK because everyone has different tastes.

I think EE would largely benefit if it went back to 3 days a week just as it was many moons ago!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    My gawd SULLA , I admire your dedication , you are a braver person than me :D
  • ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    Like I said on another thread, I'm finished with EEs these days. It just doesn't do it for me anymore.